main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT what is the inside of the death star like?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darthbarracuda, Nov 8, 2012.

1. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    There's never been an actual map or any visual anything (it seems) that shows a general map of the death star. I know it's gigantic but even still...so we know what some of the hallways look like, but I remember reading on Wookieepedia that there were shops and stores, and it made me think...is the death star so massive that it has the superlaser and military quarters but also a huge city complex inside?!?! Do they really need a moon-sized superweapon that holds billions of people?! What are all those people doing anyways?!

2. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    The inside of the Death Star is awesome.
    /thread
    Wookieepedia: Since service onboard the Death Star was a long-term affair, the station maintained a number of civilian amenities to make the time aboard a deep space station more comfortable. Parks, shopping centers, recreation areas, and taverns such as the Hard Heart Cantina could be found in the general sectors of the station.

3. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    It's filled with chocolate and nutty surprises

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Don't forget the delicious layers of caramel and nougat.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  5. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    Its a giant ball pen, on certain occasions you can even catch the emperor dive bombing in.

6. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Even more confusing question-how many people were on the Death Star 1? Did they live there? How many died on it when it exploded? I guess tarkin and the guy vader choked (lack of faith distrubing died on it too).

Did any women or children live there? Did anyone live there? Was it a permanent home, or just a military station? Poor innocent people.....

7. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Ever played battlefront 2?

8. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    [face_laugh] @ this thread.

9. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I've played it, yes..

10. Plebeian

Oct 31, 2012
    Well, I imagine it's something like the death star interior in that.

11. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Well, weren't we inside the 2 death stars? In Episodes 4 and 6? We were inside the death stars....

12. Plebeian

Oct 31, 2012
    I know, I'm just going in circles here.

13. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah I've played Battlefront II. In fact, it's the only shooter game I have. I'm not much of a gamer though, but I love the Battlefront series and Republic Commando.

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The number used is given at least once in the EU:

"25,800 stormtroopers, 27,048 officers, 774,576 crew, 378,685 support staff" - totalling 1,205,109 people.

15. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I don't know what to say. 1.2 million people on the death star. Earth has 7 billion people, and is much larger than DS1, although we don't know how much. I guess size and population density combined make someplace have a certain population. It's even hard to do a rough estimate with all this vague information. How many were on it when it exploded? Wouldn't that make Luke be personally responsible for over a million deaths? What about the people on the DS2? How many were on it?

Did people live there, like a house? How many died on the DS2? Were they all military personnel, or any contractors or women or children? I remember George Lucas saying that the Genosians lived there..

[​IMG]

16. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    Uh, the DS2 was bigger than the first DS, but not by THAT much...

17. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I'm not convinced of the earth/moon ratio either.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Despite the fact that it directly contradicts the novelization, Curtis Saxton estimated it as over five times the diameter of the first Death Star. When he got the opportunity to co-write Star Wars background books such as Incredible Cross Sections and the like, he put it in, and ever since, it has been "canon".

19. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    it might actually be very strange but...well, that almost actually looks right.

Seriously, i mean, counting in the EU,. the original DS1 was somewhere between 120-160km. DS2 is about 900km. Our MOON is meant to be 3476, km. The above pic certainly makes it look respective of its 1/4 size. But the original DS1 there looks way out of place in size.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I wonder how wide the superlaser beam is relative to the crater?

Might give an idea of how much the scale jumps around. If the beam is 1/200 the width of the crater, you're looking at a beam over1 km wide.

Given that Mon Cal cruisers are only about 1.2 km long, it sure doesn't look like a beam that thick, when it destroys the cruiser.

21. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Weren't they firing reduced-power shots so the superlaser could fire faster?

It would make sense against multiple targets, IMO.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The point being, that if, at the point the superlaser's being fired, it looks to be over 1km wide, and if at the point it hits the cruiser, it looks to be only a few hundred metres wide, either it's narrowing (not usual for a beam weapon) or someone's got the scale wrong.

23. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I can understand why you would say that. I didn't get that from an official Star Wars source/and/or website, I found it on the unknown Internet somewhere!!!

24. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Why do you same the original Death Star DS1 looks way out of place in size? In comparison to the other Death Star 2/the Moon/Earth? Or it should be bigger? Or that the other space objects, (earth, moon, DS2), should be smaller???

25. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    The DS2 is actually about the right size in comparison to the moon. roughly a quarter of it. It's just the way they are lined up, the DS1 looks way way way smaller than it should be.

To me, the DS1 should be just a little bit larger,.