main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What are your fears for the sequel trilogy?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by InterestingLurker, Nov 6, 2012.

1. PleaseNoTimeTravel

PleaseNoTimeTravel Jedi Knight

Nov 6, 2012
    It also has several episodes that feature Jar Jar Binks/gungans (and other species that only younger children would like). I I actually like the animation, I just wish that more episode included the things you mentioned. Better writing would also be nice.

2. FloydB1Kenobi

FloydB1Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    What I fear,
    Poor Casting
    Bad Script
    Not Jar Jar but a replacement for Jar Jar that is just as or more annoying... Jar Jar was the replacement for Chewie and never can a real fan forgive George for it, although Jar Jar had more character than any of the other in TPM but as much character he had, there was no redeeming himself from the annoyance.
    Return of the Sith, we don't need them for this story, the force is balanced and the story could have more gray characters that may actually turn to darkness.
    I don't have a problem with a young actor as long as he can act and isn't annoying, i.e. a good choice would be Isaac Hempstead Wright from Game of Thrones. But if it can be avoided the better.
    Expanded Universe Characters being introduced. Not good for new viewers along with fans who don't find anything outside of the movies as Canon.

Luke should not die at least till film 3, I feel he should be the Yoda of this series, not the Obi-Wan. Film one death should be Han, he's older, wiser, maybe not a Jedi but he's someone who could sacrifice himself for the "greater good".

3. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    Basically what you're trying to say is that Luke would be a, "sleep-around kinda guy!"

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That the worst ideas in the fan base will end up being canonized.

5. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Jedi Master

Feb 28, 2012
    No Mara and no Thrawn, that's a Sequel Trilogy that scares the crap out of me.

6. ataru

ataru Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    I can see some of you are once again asking for disappointment and that once again no film ever made be it Star Wars or otherwise would satisfy your expectations.

Learn from the past and accept you don't own the franchise, you only rent parts of it.

7. OBI-GYN_Kenobi

OBI-GYN_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2002
    Amen & amen, lol...

I don't wat the Sith....

I don't want fat old actors from the OT...

I want EU...

I hate EU..
    Whine, whine, whine...

Good grief.

What the heck is wrong with the Sith?

They were extinct for a millenium in the first place & came back, so they'll be back again....
    Just PLEASE do not give us Palpatine in a clone, because that ruins the whole point of Episodes 1-6, & they can pull the 'Palps rises from the dead routine' a million times if they wish....

And as for Luke, Leia & Han, they're in; get used to it. Lucas has already talked to Hammil & Fischer according to Hammil.

>>And they should be in some regard if the (alleged story revolves around they're children).
    Face it, it is what is & NOTHING will ever be the same since Greedo shot Han first. [face_phbbbbt]

8. Mehmeh

Mehmeh Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    No, more like the wanderer in search of knowledge. I guess I have the old western series "kung fu" stuck in my head

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I don't think so.

As a "real fan™", George has nothing to forgive for.

10. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    CGI and Green Screen Saturation: possibly one of my biggest issues with the prequels, especially when it concerns Attack Of The Clones. Visually, almost to the extent of all three of Michael Bay's Transformers films, it's just visually exhausting to the point that you actually feel tired as though you've been playing a console game for over two hours uninterrupted.

Lack of diversity in acting talent: I must say that the prequels did do a generally pretty good job of casting in the way there were actors in there for an audience of all ages (from Jake Lloyd to Christopher Lee). I have this worry that Star Wars will be a good intellectual property for Disney to promote its younger, up and coming talent along with their already contented cows.

Passing the baton vs. Tributing the Classic Trilogy: if there is any truth to the rumours that the story treatments so far that there is an intention to bring back Mark, Harrison and Carrie, whoever has the challenge of writing Episode 7 has a task on their hands because more than ever, Star Wars will need to speak to the older generation of fans and the future generation of fans. Think back to Star Trek: Generations which attempted to feature both the TNG and TOS crew resulting in the untimely death of James T Kirk which could have easily been avoided via exploiting a gaping plot hole in the temporal element of the story.

11. Master Hamahiga

Master Hamahiga Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree with your assertion on the Big 3....they are probably almost a shoe in at this point. For me, I will be happy if the films are at least better the the PT and comparable to the OT. If they for some reason surpass the OT then that is the icing on the cake. In the end, as a fan I am happy that we are getting a continuation of the more meaningful of the two trilogies.

12. THE PortmanLuvva

Oct 26, 2012
    I hope they make C-3PO a lot less whiny. One thing that pi$$ed me off in escpecially in ESB.

13. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    While I do like R2-D2, can't stand C3PO. Would anyone mind if both droids were not in the ST?

If you were stuck between both being in or both being out, which would you pick?

14. THE PortmanLuvva

Oct 26, 2012
    I dunno man you can't get rid of R2. BOTH IN

15. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    the droids are the ones tellimg the story, aren't they?

Hence there is a 100% chance of 3PO and R2, and R2 will once again save the day.

16. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I'm not saying they won't be there. Simply asking, if it were up to you, would you include them or not?

17. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    My own fears is that this won't feel like the other 6.

John Williams doing the music for these 3 is highly unlikely.
    George isn't directing.

The problem is that too many people being thrown out have distinct styles. I'll take my current issues with Man of Steel for example: They aren't doing the iconic theme per Zack Snyder. Unlike just about every other superhero, the Superman theme IS iconic. It's been a staple of the brand for decades now. Even Smallville went managed to get it for the finale. The Batman theme was pretty decent but that was already changed back with Forever. It wasn't as iconic as Superman.

A great example of Star Wars not feeling like Star Wars was the Clone Wars movie. Not just that it was animated. But the intro music wasn't the classic music. And the intro was a Warner Bros logo over the 20th Century Fox Fanfare. That's gone no matter what so we'll have to live without it. But then the rest of the music for that movie didn't really feel like it fit in with the other films. The characters, even those voiced by their original actor, just didn't feel right. Now granted, this was originally a tv pilot, but the whole thing just didn't feel right on the big screen and that's taking into account how bad the prequels could get. At least there, with the music, the effects, and the action it felt like Star Wars. But that can definitely change with 7, 8 and 9.
    And as much as we enjoy directors like Zack Snyder, Peter Jackson, Chris Nolan, Matthew Vaughn etc., each have their own unique takes and many want to put their own twist on things.

The problem is you just don't DO that with Star Wars. Otherwise, it doesn't FEEL like Star Wars. For example, I'd probably murder someone if there was some popular pop song in the movie like Avengers and Thor had.

Of all the names thrown out, I can actually get behind someone like Joss Whedon who has demonstrated an ability to play within the sandbox of others without trampling the already built sandcastles. The other names, as unlikely as some may be, do concern me. And the same goes for many of the composers.

18. Alderaan Luke

Alderaan Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    My main fear is that society has changed from what it was in the OT times. Some things to better, others to worse. But cinema-wise i think they have worsened. Mainly because of globalization: they DON'T NEED to make movies so good now. Why? Because now they can sell it to billions of people in so many countries! So, they worry to make them more marketable and easy to sell. So, this is why they make those long movie trailers nowadays.

But it's not only that. The problem is also society has changed and kids have changed. Now, they get bored with a slow film. The OT is not slow, but for today's standard is surely not a fast film.

I have worries even for the opening scene: do you really believe they can match this awesome one?:

The only way i see they can make a good film is trying to copy the style of the OT, with good locations, not too much CGI., good actors, a good not-too-convoluted plot, AND if they want to make a good film, they have to try to make an excelent film. If you try to do a "12" film, you get a "9" film. It's like when you went to school. If you only go for the "6´", you'll get the "4" for sure.

So, yeah, i'm 90% sure the new trilogy is not going to be as good as the OT.

Knowing that, i'll be content if they make a better trilogy than the PT i suppose...:(

19. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I agree here. There have to be some other villains.

Also agreed. No Gungans or Ewoks, please for the love of God!

Trash all post EU as far as I'm concerened. I don't care about it. But I don't mind if they borrow characters or ideas/technology.

I was one of those who said this in another thread. I don't know if others did as well, but I don't see why a whole race of badass warriors couldn't threaten peace in the Republic. Again, discount EU and develop the Hell outta them for film. Mandalorians, kind of like the Persian Empire of 300, lots of different sub-villains. I think it would be EPIC!

I don't think we have to worry here.

Some of my own concerns:

- JUSTIN BIEBER / LADY GAGA / KATY PERRY (pop celebs NOT real actors)
    - That this is cast as "Twighlight" in outer space, with a lame tween love triangle
    - too many CG characters / extras etc... Have the warriors and extras be real people

20. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012

21. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    One of my main fears for the new films is that the director will not have a clue about what they are doing, and completely ruin a film series I have been wanting to see for over 30 years now. Star Wars has always been George Lucus's baby. While I still have to fight laughter when I watch TPM, and it's Gungan infestation, I have never wanted anyone else at the helm but for GL. If they don't have him as a director, that's fine, but I really hope a lot of creative control will be with him.
    I hope they use parts of the EU in the new films, but I would like it to be original too. I think using Mara as Luke's wife would be interesting.

22. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    My biggest fear is that they'll completely ignore the EU. It's supposed to be a new, original story. If they bring back Chewie with no explanation, or if they try to tie in the story to Anikin's story (Vader and Sidious are DEAD, their story is OVER), or if they try to adapt an existing story to the screen, I'll be disappointed. On the other hand, it will still be Star Wars...there's no way I'll not watch it as long as certain elements remain constant (the main title theme music and "opening crawl" synopsis, for example). As long as they include those elements that make Star Wars what it is, I'll be fine, even if I'm mildly disappointed. I was mildly disappointed by TPM, but I was able to live with it.

23. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Really? I sort of hope they ignore the EU. In fact, I hope they retcon the Yuuzhan Vong and Darth Caedus into oblivion.