main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What could make this trilogy better than the last?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jason79, Nov 8, 2012.

1. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011

The Sun Guard are said to have a religion focused on their system's star, and it's possible that the Sith ideology intersects with this. Somehow they develop a moral code that is built around competition and the pursuit of power (for solar resources?), leading to adoption of the ideology of the Sith (Power>Strength>Victory>Chains Broken).

Being non-Force-sensitive, the Sun Guard could fearmonger against Force-users in general now that the Sith Lords themselves are history. Sith ideology could have appeal to non-Force-sensitives regardless.

Edit: A real-world parallel from anti-Force-sensitive would be to majoritarian bigotry and discrimination. You mentioned the Holocaust, which was the end result of decades of fearmongering against a minority who antisemitic conspiracy theorists believed were somehow the overlords of society. That would be a very clear link between such a story and real-world politics.

Better than the PT? Such real-world parallels would be even better than the PT's.

2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    Enough. Keep spamming/trolling and you'll be taking a walk. -Darth Boba

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Less CGI! Some of it is fine, but can we please go back to building sets and makeup artists?

This. Oh, so much this! I don't think I ever really thought about it that way, but you make a very good point!

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    you're being serious? you have to be kidding, right?

are lighthearted banter and jokes going to be considered spamming and trolling in every thread here? it's kind of important that i know this. i would hate to be banned for being myself because a sense of humor is frowned upon. of course your big bold warning is sure to be less offensive to someone's eyes than the simple suggestion that the inclusion of not one but two robocops could help the sequels improve upon the quality of the robocop-lacking prequels. so good call with that edit.

maybe you just really hate robocop, which would be a shame. robocop is cool.

5. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Whoa. Robocop hater alert.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    R2 was great in ROTS.
    Han and Leia arguing in the OT was so much more fun than Anakin and Padme. They weren't afraid to say something contreversial. They were up front with their words. Leia had spunk. Han was a rogue but became good. Good character growth.
    A lot of the lines in the OT were pretty dorky though. If Jar Jar wasn't as out there in TPM, the movie would have been way better. I hope they make the new movies like ANH, TESB and ROTJ minus the Ewoks in feel.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  7. NoChesterHester

NoChesterHester Jedi Master star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    How about a great, not good story. Focus on a great story. Story.

Give us a compelling and fantastic world that pays homage but departs from where we left off in ROTJ.

If they can accomplish that, I'll be happy.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  8. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    One thing I don't want to see is the constant repeat of the Character names.
    For example...."R2 shoot the buzz droid, centre eye. Great R2"

NO - Silly battle droid chatter. Example "Your welcome"

9. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't think it's possible for it NOT to be better than the last trilogy.
    But just incase.

No Battle Droids

10. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I look at the OT and the PT as a single story, and thus even if the ST is a truly original story completely separate in context (ie truly original characters with little to no involvement with the original cast/characters), I will probably view it the same anyway... as a single story about the Star Wars universe.

11. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    What about droidekas?

12. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Especially Droidekas.
    Well, not especially Droidekas.
    But no droid army, which Droidekas would likely be just a part of.

13. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    BUT THE EWOKS ARE THE BEST PART OF STAR WARS [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    ima send mah ewok army after yuu

14. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    What I really don't want to see is that poison gas from TPM. Poison gas comes in? We...HOLD OUR BREATH. That was just laaame.

15. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Meh, hard to imply the force use involved to hold their breath as long as it should have implied it was. Obviously they wanted the story to move along, so they didn't do the job of getting the real time passage across to the viewer, so it just looked like a short enough time that anyone without the force could have done.

16. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I give them permission to use 1 Droideka, no more.
    It must be accompanied by Han or Luke saying, "Where the hell did they dig up that old hunk of junk?"
    And a new character asking, "How do we deal with it?"
    "The same way the Jedi of the Old Republic did." Luke says. "RUN AWAY!"

EviL_eLF and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Ha ha lol. I liked the Ewoks when I was younger but don't really feel one way or the other for them now.

18. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Hah, I totally forgot about that one... poison gas isn't really the most efficient weapon in such a technologically advanced society anyway...

19. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    I'd love to see luke & leia on Naboo at some point in the ST. They could be trying to discover who they're mother
    truely was and try to uncover some secrets about the sith from palpatine since he was from there.

20. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I think the single biggest mistake of TPM wasn't having Ankain be a child or Jar Jar, but killing off Darth Maul.

He looked fantastic, he had that same kind of evil, menacing look that Vader did while being completely different then Vader. He was the perfet "heavy" to Palpatines villian. He should have been the main villian the heroes fought through the whole series until Anakin kills him in RotS, and having Anakin kill the Sith who killed Qui-Gon, just makes that sense mean that much more.[/quote]

I agree 100%! They've realized they made a huge mistake about Maul, he should have been the main bad guy in all 3 episodes. That's why they brought back Maul in TCW, because if you watch the show, the personal conflict between Maul and Obi-Wan is pretty impressive. Maul killed Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan cut Maul in half, so there's a huge amount of spite between the two. Even if you don't like the show, the Maul and Obi-Wan conflict is very well done, and should have been that way in the movies.

21. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I agree 100%! They've realized they made a huge mistake about Maul, he should have been the main bad guy in all 3 episodes. That's why they brought back Maul in TCW, because if you watch the show, the personal conflict between Maul and Obi-Wan is pretty impressive. Maul killed Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan cut Maul in half, so there's a huge amount of spite between the two. Even if you don't like the show, the Maul and Obi-Wan conflict is very well done, and should have been that way in the movies.[/quote]

Bringing him back for Episode 2 with a cybernetic lower half might've actually been pretty cool.
    Have him "die" in TPM then get him back in AOTC badder than ever.
    Althought the similarities to Vader might've been a bit too close.
    Anyways, yeah, shouldn't have killed him off.

22. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    While I did like the prequels all in all (except for much of Phanton Menace) I think that the new trilogy could improve from it in the following ways:
    More convincing acting
    No cringe inducing love dialogue (Anakin and Padme)
    Comic relief characters that are actually funny (Less JarJar, More C3PO)
    No needless CGI on human actors, that just ends up looking incredibly fake (Clone troopers at the end of Episode II)
    No whiny, emo characters.
    More awesome lightsaber battles ;)

23. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Maul shouldn't have been cut in half in TPM. Its easy enough to write that battle with Maul escaping or being chased off rather then dying. Having him come back in Episode 2 with robot legs would have been.......cheesy.

24. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    Wrong. The books are some of the best Star Wars, sometimes better than the movies. Part of that reason is because of the Sith being in them. Such as Vestara Khai and the Sith being abandon on the planet for generations. Wonderful stuff. Most of my favorite Star Wars involves the Sith. Such as the Darth Bane books, or the Plaguis book. I enjoy the deep politics as well. Some of my favorite TCW episodes revolve around politics. I am not a mindless action person, as it seems most people are these days. I enjoy the dark and philosophical parts as well as the confrontation of dark and light forces. An epic battle of groups of Sith and Jedi would make for some of the best scenes ever to grace a movie, period. If you don't think so, then go watch Ewok Adventures.

I fail to see how Sith being involved lacks any creativity. Maybe there should be no JEDI then either heh?

Palpatine died because Vader killed him to bring balance AT THAT MOMENT IN TIME. Not for all eternity. Even Yoda said no one knows the true meaning of the prophecy. You people act like this balance last forever, it doesn't. Nothing lasts forever. Light cannot exist without Darkness. That's the law of nature.

Echo-07 likes this.
  25. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    First, I am a big fan of GL. I think we all are to some extent. I think he gets way too much and way too harsh criticism for the PT.

Second, I liked the prequels and I think it's because I understand the story and thus could tolerate what I am about to say next . . .

Third, there needs to be less political positioning. I feel all the political movements and gambits, which needed to set up the rise of the Emperor (thus Empire) were critical to that trilogy and may have bored alot of fans. IMO, although dry, I thought the story (including politics) astutely mirrored the days we live in right now in our own world. That said, I believe the conflict should be described in the opening crawl and we, as viewers, should join it already in progress. That would harken back to the OT and sweep us away.