main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How did Palpatine find out about anakin's relationship with Padme?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Lord Tyrannus, Oct 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
  2. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    Except, Anakin doesn't know that PalpSidious can use the force which is why he didn't shield his thoughts from him. Hence, the moment when Obi-wan said, "You have allowed this dark lord to twist your mind until now....Until now, you've become the very thing you've sworn to destroy".

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    You're making assumptions that MAY be correct but are unsupported by (movie) evidence.

4. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    Palpatine knows what you did last night.

Darth_Kiryan likes this.
  5. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    I'm sure Palpy could sense the emotion between Anakin & Padme. The information from the clergyman only confirmed that they were married.

6. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    So, would Palpatine have known of their relationship even if Panaka/naboo clergy never told him?

Did Panaka have anything to do with this?

7. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I do . . . it's on page 20: "Captain Panaka, former Head of Security for Queen Amidala, gave Palpatine information regarding Anakin and Padmé's secret marriage."

That's all there is. I have this dim idea that novelizations come before things like visual dictionaries in terms of canon hierarchy, but I don't really know. In any case, Palpy could have gotten the info from more than one place, I suppose.

8. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I hate Captain Panaka now. Why did he tell Palpatine? So, you're saying, if it wasn't for Panaka, the Emperor would never find out about anakin and padme, and he would never tempt anakin, and anakin would never become darth vader or save palpatine from mace windu, essetinally creating the empire.

Or, did Palps find out through telepathy, and knew it anyway?

What do the naboo clergy have to do with this???

9. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Quoted For Truth.

10. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Quoted For Truth.[/quote]

I'm confused.

Was it Palpatine's telepathy?

A naboo clergyman?

Or panaka?

That caused Palpatine to get the knowledge about anakin and padme, that led to Anakin's turn to darkside and transformation into Lord Vader?

11. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    All of the above. Its Palpatine we're talking about...
    IMO: He heard it from a clergy; Panaka confirmed, then he verified it through the force.
    ;)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    If he had telepathy, what was the point of them informing him? Would he have known even without Panaka, clergy, or even both or one of em?

13. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Because he was smart enough not to blatantly use the force and I never said he used telepathy, per se. Force users can tell when someone's being honest or not, so all he had to do was ask the right questions then he would know if Anakin was trying to deceive him. If he was stupid enough to probe Anakin's mind, he would have had a saber at his throat, much sooner than he a saber at his back.

14. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Would Palpatine have found out about their relationship and use padme as a lure to bring anakin to the darkside, without panaka and/or priests informing him?

He definitley had telepathy. He knew Padme was pregnant, and he probably sent Anakin the visions...

I don't get Padme ruminations scene. Was Anakin having a flashback or was it telepathy???

15. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Please use the edit function.

IMO:
    He would have found out because Anakin trusted him as a Mentor and as a friend.

Anakin's dreams were of his uncertain future, the force was trying to warn him.

16. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Did Palpatine use the darkside of the Force to send him those dreams? That would kinda make everything that happened orchestrated, Anakin's fall orchestrated. Cant tell if thats good or bad.

How do you know Anakin's multiple nightmares of his wife dying were the Force, and not just normal dreams???

If Panaka and/or naboo priests/clergy never told Palpatine, would Palpatine still find out about anakin and padme's marriage and use that to lure him to the darkside, his fear of her dying in pregnancy??

17. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I watched the movie.

18. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    So did I. That still doesn't explain/answer my question....

19. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Logical conclusions to me.... in the absence of being told otherwise.;)

20. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    It might explain how PalpSidious knew that Anakin is having visions of Padme dying. After all, Vader used the Dark side to send Luke the visions of Han and Leia in danger by torturing them. That lured Luke right into Vader's trap just as PalpSidious' mind-trickery lured Anakin into his trap.

Absolutely. If PalpSidious knows about Anakin's visions, then he would also know about Ani's marriage to Padme. Anakin's nightmares might be the Force warning him not to turn to the Dark Side and the images of Padme dying were the result of him taking that path but he misinterpreted those visions as her dying from childbirth. How do I know? Anakin was awake when he had the 2nd vision of Obi-wan tending to Padme as she's dying.

21. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Obviously not full canon, but a source book, "Jedi vs Sith - The Essential Guide to the Force" has Palps/Sidious musing on Maul's dreams of invading the Temple and wiping out the Jedi. He says "I sent him enough of them"!

22. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    To this day I still wonder, "how the hell did not everyone know?!" In the early scenes of ROTS, Padme and Anakin talk of continuing to keep the baby a secret. Did no one notice Padme getting fatter? The pair spending more time together? Regular visits from the Doctor? Padme's regular visits to Dexter Jexter's where she was eating so much that ever Dexter was telling her to slow down?

23. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I think he is a smart man and could tie things together. The real question is HOW DID OBi-WAN NOT KNOW!

24. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Obi-Wan probably did know (he was there from the start, after all; and Anakin drops some pretty obvious hints during AotC); but he simply didn't mention it directly (and certainly not to the Council) because Anakin was his friend as well as his Padawan.

25. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Obi wan kenobi knew for sure. "be mindful of your thoughts anakin they betray you". That part was kind of creepy, innuendo-ish, and proved that obi wan kenobi knew.

Anakin and obi wan were not friends. They barely communicated in TPM, in AOTC and ROTS, skywalker was all paranoid about kenobi...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.