main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Filling in the gaps: The Sequel Trilogy, a cartoon series, and the new EU canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Nov 6, 2012.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I'm confident that CGI is sufficient to handle all of Luke's backflips.

2. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    CGI Noooo... I so want to see Hamil try and fail :p

3. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    It was a stunt-double doing them for Dooku in RotS, wasn't it?

4. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    First off, great topic OP.

I agree. We were given plenty of info about the old order. We also saw how their views and behavior led to their demise. The have the opportunity to show a new order and outlook on the force. It will come across as just plain lazy, if they keep it the same.plus, I wanna see luke married and that wouldn't happen under the old jedi code.

5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I believe so, and Christopher Lee is not an iota less awesome for it.

Zorrixor and Tim Battershell like this.
  6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    But it was Anakin's failure to follow the Code that led him to darkness!! The Jedi Order was the pinnacle of perfection!!! THEY SHOULDN'T CHANGE ANYTHING OR PEOPLE WILL GET CONFUSED WHAT A JEDI IS!!!! 8-}

Sarcasm aside, I really hope you're both right.

Although, with how common prequel depictions of Jedi have become in more mainstream EU works like TOR, I'm hesitant to get my hopes up...

7. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    It's worth noting in TOR that every class has the opportunity to spit on some of the Jedi order's rules, if they choose, which is an option I imagine many would take. I'm cautiously optimistic in this case, because like I've said, the Jedi Order being flawed was pretty much the entire point of the PT.

8. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Wow. So I'm half awake and thought you were serious at first, not being sarcastic lol. I just like the idea of a different order.

How do people feel about including other force groups in movies (besides jedi and sith)?

9. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    People will get confused if there's a Force user that isn't Jedi or Sith! :p

10. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Maybe your right. People outside of the EU fanbase probably wouldn't follow. I can still hope though!

11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm being facetious, mostly (the audience will get confused! is the mindset of quite a few Hollywood executives), though I do think the average audience could process it. A Force user who isn't a Jedi or Sith... neutral. People get neutrality, right? :D

Then again, I suppose the old classic Mencken quote, "no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public" is still relevant in some ways :p.

12. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Why Does Mark Hamill need to get in shape? I can't believe a star wars fan would ask that question. Luke is not yoda. He is extremely active and still the most powerful force user. period. The man is in awesome physical shape, and needs to be portrayed that way. cmon dude.

13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    He's also a human being and human beings get older.

If there's one piece of the EU I hope the ST throws out, it's "60 is the new 40!" which just plays to the Hollywood cliche of every actor needing to be a bikini model or pretty boy, something that did such wonders for the PT, unlike the OT which chose actors for their screen presence, not looks.

Alec Guinness wasn't in shape, but it did nothing to stop him playing Obi-Wan Kenobi.
    You're either with me or against me! There is no room for compromise!!

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'd argue that it's already somewhat perpetuated in the PT, with Dooku; the guy is 80 and is easily able to keep up with two of the order's most capable Jedi, both less than half his age (and while I may be in the minority in this, I feel Dooku was one of the highlights of the PT, a trilogy of movies I was not thrilled with). Personally, I like it. Not in regards to appearance- frankly, I don't care how most of the characters look, and though Dooku is in supremely good physical shape, he still looks his age- but I do think it fits the sci-fi setting well. I also kind of enjoyed the twist of Qui-Gon being nearly 60, old Ben Kenobi's age.

If Hamill cameos, he might have to lose a few pounds, but he's not going to have to do a major overhaul. As others have mentioned, Alec Guiness wasn't in the greatest shape in ANH, but you would never know it. See, the baggy robes have a practical purpose after all :)

Zorrixor likes this.
  15. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Beware anyone saying "I'm getting too old for this!"!

16. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I don't think Hamill has to be in great shape to play the older version of Luke, but he does have to be a little more presentable than he has looked recently. Alec Guiness wasn't in athletic shape, but he still looked classy.

(By way of disclosure, I'm a HUGE Guiness fan)

17. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Bring the perm back!

[​IMG]

18. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Who the hell is that? looks like it could be Zac Efrons father... weird

19. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    Mark Hamill should be forced to do a sequel to Corvette Summer before he's allowed to appear in Episode 7.

instantdeath likes this.
  20. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Rogue Squadron wouldn't work to well live action unless they recast Wedge, which I am not sure they would do. However, an antimated webseries about Rogue Squadron would probably do very well. There is a great cast of Rogues to chose from, plus it would appeal to that fanboy love of starships, fast ships, epic battles, and dogfighting. Plus it would allow for other supporting cast folks like Ackbar, Madine, and other Rebel military leaders to be used as well.

If they can capture a vibe that is equal parts Top Gun and Battlestar Galactica, I think a Rogue Squadron series would be a slam dunk. That mix of fun excitement and gritty realism would be the perfect blend for them.

--Adm. Nick

21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I could easily see them recasting Wedge, personally. No respect to Denis Lawson, but I'd argue that his character isn't so tied with him that seeing him recast would be jarring. Though to be perfectly honest, even the character of Wedge Antilles isn't overwhelmingly known by the public. Of course, that pretty much dooms X-Wing to an early cancellation, but dammit, one season would be enough.

But I could definitely go for an animated series. Despite it's film origin, I actually think Star Wars is most suited for animation.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I'm getting a Hayden in AOTC vibe from that one...

23. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Why wouldn't they recast Wedge? He's already played by 2 different actors in the ANH!

24. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    Have you seen how Mark looks now days?

[​IMG]

No amount of CGI or makeup will make him look in shape. :p

But I have to admit, a fat Jedi flipping around and kicking ass sounds awesome.

25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    He could definitely lose 25 pounds or so and be in shape enough for a baggy robe to make an imposing Grand Master. He hasn't had a major live action role in quite some time, but I'm sure he could do it. Only time will tell, though.