main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Spielberg is NOT directing, enough talk about him

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by kevmp, Nov 9, 2012.

1. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
  2. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    I don't know why so many people even considered him, or thought he would be suitable for Star War. Video 1 on starwars.com, Lucas explicitly says "for the next generation of film makers to make Star Wars". The next gen ain't Spielberg. I respect the man and love many of his movies don't get me wrong.

fishtailsam and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I think I speak for all of us when I say: :(

4. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    I think I speak for many more when I say :)

Norminator, fishtailsam and tom like this.
  5. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Matthew Vaughn is my choice

Big Bad Yoda Daddy likes this.
  6. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm still gunning for a clone of John Ford.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  7. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    I'm hoping 4 someone who's not lazy & more than willing to implore traditional special effects.

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    And how exactly are you going to accomplish this miraculous blending of art and science?

9. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Magic, baby, magic...

10. tuskinraiderfromhell

tuskinraiderfromhell Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2004
    Good! I like some of his movies but, he's overrated. Like Cameron and Coppala. I don't think he's suitable to carry on the name of Star Wars. Lucas IS Star Wars. I'm weary about anyone taking it over.

11. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    I think I can understand Lucas's reluctance here. If you read the story conference transcript for ROTLA, Lucas literally thought of 90% of that movie, no exaggeration. But Spielberg pretty much got the credit, as director, and Kasdan as writer. With the other Indy projects, Lucas got the blame for everything people didn't like, Spielberg got all the credit for what audiences did like. Young Indy -- which is an incredible achievement and miles ahead of the Indy movies as a story -- was basically ignored.

GL seems to know his limitations as a director/writer, and he laughs off criticism. But I don't think he's anxious to hear about how Spielberg "saved SW from George Lucas". He brought Spielberg in to collaborate on the climactic duel for RotS, but I don't think it's credited onscreen (anyone know?). He's always been cagey about Steven doing SW.

It's a shame, and our loss, but I guess he meant it when he said that Steven would never direct a SW movie. Spielberg must be an incredibly loyal friend, 'cause frankly, that would tee me off.

12. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Thank God for that. Human cloning isn't legal, but they have cloned animals and I highly doubt that some where in the world that they haven't attempted cloning humans. I mean, let's get real here...

13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Fans: zomg speilbergz!
    kevmp: ENOUGH TALK!
    [​IMG]

14. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Genuinely happy about this. I know some people have been really adamant that Spielberg is the only person who can pull this off, but anyone who says that does not really understand Spielberg nor the direction his career is currently at. I really did not want a man who called the prequel movies perfection, and was the mind behind Indiana Jones hiding in a fridge in the middle of a nuclear blast.

On top of all that Star Wars needs some fresh mind with new ideas. Spielberg would have to strong of a connection to the past. You already have Lucas being involved still. No need to stack your team in one direction.

15. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Whoah, Coppola is not "overrated".

The Conversation
    Godfather Trilogy
    Rumblefish
    Dracula
    Cotton Club
    Youth Without Youth
    Tetro
    Apocalypse Now
    Peggy Sue Got Married
    Tucker

The man has made a number of truly great films, and some really interesting personal ones.

16. tuskinraiderfromhell

tuskinraiderfromhell Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2004
    Yep

Highly overrated.

fishtailsam likes this.
  17. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    OK let's just yank the Godfather Part III out of that list first, it doesn't deserve to be ranked anywhere near the first two. Let's also remember he is responsible for "Jack" which was terrible

18. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    And also, Apocalypse Now was actually Mr. Lucas' idea/treatment originally. One of my all time favorite movies though

19. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    you need to chill out, I *think* he was joking. A cloning joke is highly appropriate in a Star Wars forum

20. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Every director has made bad films. Every single one. But Coppola's best films are better than the average. I don't have any problem with GFIII, that's a cinephile/critic/fan thing. It's a better film than most of the garbage that comes out of Hollywood.

He totally rewrote AN from the bottom up. The only thing he kept were some names and Lucas's (admittedly brilliant) title.

But this thread is about Spielberg (1942, *batteries not included, Young Sherlock Holmes, Money Pit, Always, Hook, We're Back!, The Lost World, Minority Report, Amistad, Indy 4 etc...).

LawJedi likes this.
  21. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    I'm well aware of the Apocalypse Now rewrites, John Milius' original script was ridiculous. I agree all filmmakers have made their piles of dung mixed with excellent movies. Coppola deserves huge respect for being one of the first mavericks that challenged the studio system and Hollywood's way of making movies, he influenced many directors in the 70s and 80s and was George's mentor.

22. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    It can be hard to talk about a Lucas movie and NOT mention Spielberg and Coppola, he has been so connected with both

23. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I always thought Spielberg would have been perfect for Episode I. He's usually good working with the child actors. These days, I'm not sure. His over the top additions to Battle of the Heroes are often criticized, and Indy 4 wasn't just Lucas's fault.

Fleab88 likes this.
  24. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    True but Indy 4 you could sense where Lucas stopped and Spielberg started... and the Spielberg bits were the better part of the movie.

25. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Let's keep in mind that 'Indy in the Fridge" was Spielberg's idea and not Lucas'. I enjoyed the movie though, it was no worse than Temple of Doom

FRAGWAGON likes this.