main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Spielberg is NOT directing, enough talk about him

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by kevmp, Nov 9, 2012.

1. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Hear hear! Or Michael Curtiz.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  2. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    So did I, I actually prefer it to Temple of Doom.

3. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    They don't make them like that anymore :(

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  4. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    Agreed, I thought it was great. Every Indy film is about Myth becoming reality, and it delivered. It went way over the top - but it was an Indiana Jones film.

As for Spielberg, if you saw the article he said, "it's not my genre, it's my best friend George's genre". I take his word at that, but I don't feel it should make a difference. I mean, look at Kershner and Marquand....Definitely not their genre either.

Hopefully they'll find SOMEBODY who gets the sensibility. The only evidence of that these days is Pirates of the Caribbean. I thought the days of a real swashbuckler were dead until Gore Verbinski came along.

5. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    George says that's just Spielberg trying to protect him; maybe we'll never know. It never bothered me, I thought that sequence was brilliantly unexpected, dark, ironic, and disturbingly funny. But Frank Darabont wrote the monkeys in (even worse, he had a monkey poop on Indy!). There's a lot of good George stuff in there, too: the whole "Chariots of the Gods" mythology which I love (not that I believe it), the greaser stuff, John Hurt basically playing "Ben Gunn" from Treasure Island; it's a cool movie, if it had been released in 1995 by now it would be accepted as part of the Indy canon. TOD was hated all the way up to the 2000's. Anyway, what's interesting is the combination of talents.

6. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    >>Gore Verbinski<<

This I would not like to see.

yodasbum and fishtailsam like this.
  7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Spielberg is NOT directing, enough talk about him

Now, if we could just manage to dispense with all of the foolish Peter Jackson talk, I will get my Tintin sequel with little interference. I want Professor Calculus!

fishtailsam and SuperWatto like this.
  8. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    And here I thought you were my clone on these boards....:p

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  9. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    The whole nuclear test site mock up town was cool I thought...it felt creepy and eerie. I've never quite understand why people want realism in movies that are pure over the top action and adventure and are laced with unrealistic mysticism and magic. So maybe the Indy in fridge thing really isn't so bad.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  10. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    NO Peter Jackson in Star Wars, ever. Thanks all

11. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Gore Verbinski...considering how the budget for the Lone Ranger has gotten completely out of control and looks to be a possible train wreck, I will veto his involvement as well.

12. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    Temple of Doom is a very underrated movie. Mola Ram (or however you spell it) is still my favorite Indy villain.

13. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Rango was cool.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  14. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Oh I like Temple of Doom, so my saying it was no worse than Temple of Doom was intended as a compliment. My order of preference is Raiders, Last Crusade, Temple of Doom/Skull (tie). In fact I was hoping to see a grown up Short Round in Skull played maybe by John Cho haha

15. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Jump the shark?

Nuke the fridge?

What do they have in common? George Lucas

Happy Days was based on the George Lucas movie American Graffiti

Indiana Jones was created by George Lucas.

Conspiracy?????

kevmp likes this.
  16. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Well I'm glad he's not directing.
    Spielberg is sort of all or nothing in my eyes.
    Some of his movies are great, some I simply flat out dislike.

Especially his "tug the hearstrings" approach, with rather irritating attemps at some sort of pathos...

tuskinraiderfromhell likes this.
  17. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Speilberg is awful at doing "serious" movies.

18. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Source? Never read that. Besides I still find it far more likely Spielberg came up with that idea to be honest. The other thing to consider with Spielberg is he was still the director of the movies with Lucas. As a director if you do not have faith in an idea then you need to speak up and stand up for it. if you don;t have the spine to do that then I do not want you near Star Wars. Spielberg never had a spine with Lucas. That may sound harsh, but history proves it to be so. Temple of Doom was to dark. Spielberg through Lucas under the bus by saying he demanded the script to be that way so Spielberg even though he felt it was a giant mistake went with it. That's not very good directing.

19. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Well, Lucas did say he was turning SW over to a "new generation", so this really no surprise.

20. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I never understood the people whining about the fridge scene.
    It's an Indiana Jones movie, it's supposed to be over the top.
    You're fine with an ancient relic of god not melting his face away just because he closed his eyes, fine with a priest magically ripping out someone's heart and setting it on fire while that person (now heartless) watches on and stays alive long enough to be lowered into a pit of fire?
    I mean...it's all over the top and quite fine the way it is.

21. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    "There are many people that sprang to mind, writers and directors, that I've worked with in the the past that I'm really excited to try to bring into the fold on this." Quote from Kennedy on the new Star Wars front page video. Spielberg? Fincher? Shyamalan?

22. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    [/quote]George says that's just Spielberg trying to protect him; maybe we'll never know. It never bothered me, I thought that sequence was brilliantly unexpected, dark, ironic, and disturbingly funny. But Frank Darabont wrote the monkeys in (even worse, he had a monkey poop on Indy!). There's a lot of good George stuff in there, too: the whole "Chariots of the Gods" mythology which I love (not that I believe it), the greaser stuff, John Hurt basically playing "Ben Gunn" from Treasure Island; it's a cool movie, if it had been released in 1995 by now it would be accepted as part of the Indy canon. TOD was hated all the way up to the 2000's. Anyway, what's interesting is the combination of talents.[/quote]

Source? Never read that. Besides I still find it far more likely Spielberg came up with that idea to be honest. The other thing to consider with Spielberg is he was still the director of the movies with Lucas. As a director if you do not have faith in an idea then you need to speak up and stand up for it. if you don;t have the spine to do that then I do not want you near Star Wars. Spielberg never had a spine with Lucas. That may sound harsh, but history proves it to be so. Temple of Doom was to dark. Spielberg through Lucas under the bus by saying he demanded the script to be that way so Spielberg even though he felt it was a giant mistake went with it. That's not very good directing.[/quote]

"When I told Lucas that Spielberg had accepted the blame for nuking the fridge, he looked stunned. “It’s not true,” he said. “He’s trying to protect me.”
    In fact, it was Spielberg who “didn’t believe” the scene. In response to Spielberg’s fears, Lucas put together a whole nuking-the-fridge dossier. It was about six inches thick, he indicated with his hands. Lucas said that if the refrigerator were lead-lined, and if Indy didn’t break his neck when the fridge crashed to earth, and if he were able to get the door open, he could, in fact, survive. “The odds of surviving that refrigerator — from a lot of scientists — are about 50-50,” Lucas said."
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magazine/george-lucas-red-tails.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
    Just for the record, I have a really good memory for the gist of quotes, but I can't look up every friggin' quote I've read. Just cause there's no "source" doesn't mean it's suspect. Maybe for VII, but not for every tiny little thing. Google first before you make people go hunting for quotes, it's just a little common courtesy.

23. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    George says that's just Spielberg trying to protect him; maybe we'll never know. It never bothered me, I thought that sequence was brilliantly unexpected, dark, ironic, and disturbingly funny. But Frank Darabont wrote the monkeys in (even worse, he had a monkey poop on Indy!). There's a lot of good George stuff in there, too: the whole "Chariots of the Gods" mythology which I love (not that I believe it), the greaser stuff, John Hurt basically playing "Ben Gunn" from Treasure Island; it's a cool movie, if it had been released in 1995 by now it would be accepted as part of the Indy canon. TOD was hated all the way up to the 2000's. Anyway, what's interesting is the combination of talents.[/quote]

Source? Never read that. Besides I still find it far more likely Spielberg came up with that idea to be honest. The other thing to consider with Spielberg is he was still the director of the movies with Lucas. As a director if you do not have faith in an idea then you need to speak up and stand up for it. if you don;t have the spine to do that then I do not want you near Star Wars. Spielberg never had a spine with Lucas. That may sound harsh, but history proves it to be so. Temple of Doom was to dark. Spielberg through Lucas under the bus by saying he demanded the script to be that way so Spielberg even though he felt it was a giant mistake went with it. That's not very good directing.[/quote]

"When I told Lucas that Spielberg had accepted the blame for nuking the fridge, he looked stunned. “It’s not true,” he said. “He’s trying to protect me.”
    In fact, it was Spielberg who “didn’t believe” the scene. In response to Spielberg’s fears, Lucas put together a whole nuking-the-fridge dossier. It was about six inches thick, he indicated with his hands. Lucas said that if the refrigerator were lead-lined, and if Indy didn’t break his neck when the fridge crashed to earth, and if he were able to get the door open, he could, in fact, survive. “The odds of surviving that refrigerator — from a lot of scientists — are about 50-50,” Lucas said."
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magazine/george-lucas-red-tails.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
    Just for the record, I have a really good memory for the gist of quotes, but I can't look up every friggin' quote I've read. Just cause there's no "source" doesn't mean it's suspect. Maybe for VII, but not for every tiny little thing. Google first before you make people go hunting for quotes, it's just a little common courtesy. [/quote]

With all due respect, generally it is common courtesy for the person who makes the claim to be the one to support it with facts. I'm not going to google everything single random claim that a person makes on the internet. It is just simple sense. If you say someone said something then it should honestly be expected for you to be the one to back it up. All that being said I do appreciate you for sharing the quote.

24. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    I think she may be talking more about writers than directors. Shymalan, please no, never. If he directed I think I may be done. He directed one good movie, the Sixth Sense, and I think that was a fluke

tuskinraiderfromhell likes this.
  25. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Surely you jest. Empire of the Sun, Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, The Color Purple....those are all Spielberg 'serious' movies and they are excellent