main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Spielberg is NOT directing, enough talk about him

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by kevmp, Nov 9, 2012.

1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I have a feeling the director that does Episode VII will also do VIII and IX. Of course, thats a long commitment for any director, but I reakon thats the basis on which they'll sign up. I don't think they'll go down the different directors for each movie route.

2. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    It’s going to be hard to get an already established director interested in taking on something like this.

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Perhaps, but I wouldn't expect. Long commitment as you state and really I'm thinking GL retired, but I wonder if he will be able to keep away and let another play with his baby.

4. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Someone like Bryan Singer? He was supposed to direct all three X-men movies before he walked out to make Superman Returns. He's now back to helm the next one.

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    My guess is that it'll be someone young (30's) not particularly experianced, with a love for experimental film making.

George Lucas's protoge in other words.

Or thats my hope. I wish they would just get on and announce the director/writer officially so we can all stop worrying about it.

tuskinraiderfromhell likes this.
  6. tuskinraiderfromhell

tuskinraiderfromhell Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2004
    I think a lot of directors will turn it down simply because of the back lash. You know they'll be back lash.

7. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    But what would we obsess over next G-Fett?

8. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    R-Patz. :D

9. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    No, just no dude!

10. lightsaver

lightsaver Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    Good.Never been a fan of Spielberg (aside from Indy, but thats WITH GL) Was worried that he would get first dibs. This is good news to me.

11. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Yes, it was a very underrated movie.

12. Matsemitsu

Matsemitsu Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Oh well. Get ready for at least another six months of personnel speculation, and people denying involvement, and news outlets rumor-mongering about who's "in talks"... What matters is that somebody will do the job, and if the director is of the caliber of the presumptive screenwriter (Arndt, if he is in fact hired), SW is in very good hands indeed.

That said, it would be awesome if Spielberg did it. Maybe he'll do Episode 8? ;)

13. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
  14. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    If Nolan did it, his fanboys would forever mock Lucas and talk crap on him.

Look what they say about Burtons Batman movies they just lump it right with the awful Joel Schumacher movies.

Love to see Nolan do more original work like Prestige or inception.

15. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    ABSOLUTELY NOT! Also, he didn't walk out to make Superman, he was cut out of the project, thus the opening in his schedule and he made Superman instead.

16. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
  17. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    I'm not suggesting him specifically. Just as an example of the same director working on the entire trilogy.

18. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I recognize I might be in the minority when I say this, but I don't see Nolan as a good fit for Star Wars. I like some of his films, but they can be so somber and grave that they fall right into ponderous.

Star Wars has always had bits of levity, in even the darkest of the films. It's also always maintained a sense of wonderment and whimsy and I don't think that Nolan has ever really injected these emotions into his films (or at least not successfully). He just seems to try so desperately to make his films "adult" while Star Wars has always been about families and is meant to be watched by families.

So I'll go ahead and admit that he's not my first choice. It's rather disappointing about Spielberg (though not surprising in hindsight) but I'm holding out for Guillermo del Toro.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  19. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    My problem with del Toro, visually speaking he repeats himself too much.

20. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    All wrong. There's nothing spiritual, whimsical, adventurous or fun in his movies. I like several of them but his Batman trilogy displays an absolute lack of any sense of fantasy. I don't want Nolan near this. Has he ever worked with Kathleen Kennedy? She seems to be inclined to rope in someone she has already worked with. Anyway, he's text bound & SW is visual and cinematic; he's deadly serious, SW is fun. He's all wrong.

21. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Harnessed properly, I don't necessarily think that would have to be a bad thing. Lucas himself uses repeated motifs and if del Toro could get the hang of it, I think a Star Wars film by him would fit right in with I through VI. But I especially liked him because he seems to really know how to blend genres and embrace both child-like and adult elements. Which is one of the core elements I love about Star Wars personally.

22. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Well he was one of my personal front runners, but there are still plenty more great directors :). It is pretty much confirmed that Michael Arndt wrote some sort of treatment, and is probably likely to write the screenplay, so it seems we at least have the writer chosen. A fellow named Colin Treverrow has been getting a lot of mention as a potential director, and I hear is good, although I have not seen any of his movies. I still have my fingers crossed for Brad Bird ;).

23. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    KK mostly worked with Spielberg. Of other directors, Gary Ross (Hunger Games) looks like the only one remotely suitable.

24. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    That's the thing, he so does his own repetitive visual thing, I'm not sure if he can break out of his own mold.

25. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    I don't necessarily think it's an issue of breaking out of one's own mold, but more of turning a weakness into a strength. Repetition can be problematic, but I've always found that Lucas employs it in a way to enhance rather than detract from the film experience through visual cues. If del Toro could do the same, I can see him making a great Star Wars film.