main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate I Want to Believe-The Senate's Social Thread and Secret Society Roundtable

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Mr44, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Someone who posts more than "OMG." And who uses complete sentences and uses citations to support their argument.

2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Sorry for the redundancy, Senate level poster here ya know, not used to this speed.

3. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    And that post is about 5 paragraphs too short....

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    And that's when you lost me too. Just because we don't think debating the eternal questions in a Star Wars message board is an endeavor worthy of our efforts, it doesn't mean we just post "LOL" or pictures of cat. If that's what you thin, I can understand your being pro-seggregation and wanting to be part of the "intellectual elite" part of the divide. The thing is, you're wrong.

harpuah and Ender_Sai like this.
  5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    OMG

EDIT: Didn't we used to have a footnoting feature on Xenforo or am I crazy? I wanted to provide citations for "OMG."

6. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Not so much the change, but it would've just seemed lazy. I think the names work for their express purpose of grabbing attention. It's the difference between saying, 'The flame was bright, and, 'The flame flickered brilliantly in the dark,' one way is more descriptive, the other is just juvenile.

Mr44 likes this.
  7. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Juvenile? You could have went with "without charm", "without identity", "boring", or something like that and I would have agreed. I still would support regular descriptive names for them, mind you, but I would have at least agreed with your premise. But juvenile? How the hell did you land on that conclusion? Yeah, putting up a simple sign to describe what something is, you know, so one can understand what something is, is really juvenile... o_O

8. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Juvenile in the sense of someone's language abilities. Not juvenile in the sense that say...finding a whoopie cushion is amusing.

9. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    The topics of discussion in the Senate are more varied than just posting what we did and didn't like about the Star Wars films. I have gotten some very good insights into how others are thinking and viewing such important topics as same sex marriage, the economy, etc. Some posters have been a bit more argumentative than others and that is enlightening as well.

10. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Alright, good point.
    Well, I don't really care what the name is, or the location, or whether it´s a tab or a text link - what's important is that the topics and the people exist.
    I think it comes down to this:

KnightWriter was right. In a Jabbadabbodoesque way he's been tolling the bell over the Senate. He's been doing that for a while, and he was right. It was dead. Three or four people posting, weekends without posts. It was boring, too, because as Hoth says, it felt as if everything had been discussed. Certainly between those three, four people.

But look what happens now. Not only do all the old mainstays come out of the woodwork once the state of the Senate is discussed, but suddenly a message from Lucasfilm plops down, announcing that the rollercoaster is about to ride again. New boards pop up, filled with threads made up of pages of new people. It feels very 2001. It would be foolish to not take that into account when discussing the future of the Senate. KnightWriter may not be right anymore, and any talk of attracting new people may not be necessary anymore.

So I suggest we all just Buddha back and see what happens.

And if somebody can muster the energy to post a new and interesting topic in the Senate, that'd be nice.

LostOnHoth likes this.
  11. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I got that. Still doesn't make sense to me. The tabs are there as guides. To describe the content of different threads. Guides and signs are always served by being simple to understand. I can't hold it against a new user's language ability that he doesn't know what the acronym JCC stands for. Or what Arena is supposed to mean. What, it's a forum for online Yu-gi-oh trading card tournament sessions? This is a SW (nerd) forum, you know, Arena can mean many things. :p

12. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I have a topic in mind. I talked to Merk about it a while back so maybe I should stop being lazy and work on it.

13. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Well, to be fair though, it used to be that one of the things told to new users was to lurk a little and get a feel of each forum. It's not like anyone just blindly jumps into a forum and starts randomly posting if they are unsure about the dynamic. In fact, It's general message board etiquette across in internet. Even spending a couple of minutes looking around a forum like JCC or Senate or Amph will give a good indication of the expectations related to each. Someone might not know exactly what an "Amphitheatre" is, but it quickly becomes evident.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  14. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Actually...that's kinda how I wound up here. I saw the lit forum discussions and signed up that day to jump in. A bit naive, I think, but at that time I was young and brash (yes, being sarcastic).

15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    We don't discuss Star Wars in Community at all... so I'm not understanding your point.

16. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    We also seem to be assuming that the value of a forum is determined solely by posts. This is not necessarily true. I follow the JCC and Amp forums quite a bit but I don't post in those forums. Nevertheless I look at them on most days and have developed an appreciation for the humour of certain regulars on those forums. I tend to read the news and then flick over the forums. Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I don't value them. Presumably there are people who follow the threads in the Senate as well but don't post. I'm sure there are probably at least three Senate lurkers out there whose interests need to be looked after :p

17. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    double post

18. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Watch it harps, the Senate has rules against popular use of the present progressive.

19. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Because the overall boards are aligned with being focused on Star Wars. With a name like "TF.N," the boards could focus solely on Star Wars discussion and be done with it. But there are forums which are so much more varied that simply bantering about the length of a Super Star Destroyer, even though that is the meat and potatoes option.There are sports, there is music, there is politics, and religion, and so on. None of that diversity is captured by making one forum more like another simply to get more participants. Because if that was the case, then every forum here should have a SW focus and everyone would be posting in every forum.

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Fine... in an effort to meet up to the illustrious standards of senate-level posting, I'll rephrase my original statement. Sami, I do not understand your point.

SuperWatto likes this.
  21. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    I believe Mr44 covered my point. I also lurk in forums and in threads I don't post in.

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I don't see how his explanation is relevant either. Yes, we do have places where we discuss topics other than Star Wars. I don't think anybody is trying to make them (those individual communities), senate included, identical to anything. Think of it as expanding... broadening. I can't put words in Ender or KW's mouths, but what I've gotten from their posts is, they are asking you to relax a little and allow things to unfold. We've been here for two months. People are getting used to the flavor of certain threads and getting to know each other outside of their individual forum "bubbles." I don't see how this is a bad thing. Nobody is asking senate mods to allow people to come into a senate thread and say, "lol... buttsex." Assuming you have a circle of friends, say somebody new was introduced. Would you assume that they are not up to your standards of discussion and immediately demand that your circle move away, or would you take some time to become familiar with this person?

23. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    either move the senate to its own board or drop the seperate rules and moderators and make it a non-binding topics tag for politics and the like. having two forums that cover overlapping topics existing on the same board with different rules and moderators is idiotic. you dont have to be a "senate-level" intellect to understand that

SuperWatto and Jabbadabbado like this.
  24. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    I would take some time to become familiar with the person and see how he/she fit in with the group.

25. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I've been going back and forth on this, but I think I agree with Rogue_Ten. Enforcing separate posting rules against JC community members who might or might not notice the senate tag seems dumb, as does potentially maintaining two separate styles of conversation about the same topic on the same thread list. I don't think that's good for the community, Low running around lopping off heads inside the Community every time someone drops by with a Youtube link or an image post.

If the rules are important and the venue is important, then give the Senate a distinct location, where the noncompliants can be executed quietly. If you do that, and it isn't visited much for now, it still opens the door for SuperWatto's optimism about the JC becoming in general a vibrant, high traffic forum again with Episode VII and future SW movies.

SuperWatto likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.