main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation we need more women main characters.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by CoolyFett, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I agree. Originally Luke was going to be a girl named Nomi Starkiller. Also, in recent reports since this news broke last week that there were intentions at some point to have a lead protagonist [female] named Skywalker. Daughter? Wife? (Mara Jade married?)

At any rate, yeah, more kick ass women is fine by me. I also have no qualms about having young Solo offspring, say almost 20 or so, but I hope there is a good balance of elder, capable characters as well as the "kids."

2. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    What about Mattel? I think there was a missed opportunity with Mattel & the Barbie brand
    That's where Mattel could come in & clean house. Lucus missed the boat on Mattel. A StarWar line of Barbie would have done well especially Padme dolls. If you think about all the costumes that character had in just epsode 1 alone. There are many collectors of barbie too. Of course Padme would have way more dolls than Leia but there is a market for females.

3. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Really gu?

4. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    CoolyFett as a consumer of Mattel's DC toys, I can't say that I would be inspired by their performance on female SW characters. Mattel, like Hasbro, keep their products fairly gender segregated. If Mattel ran SW, sure, they'd throw us some Leia Barbies and whatnot, but they would freak out at the concept of a "boys" action/adventure sci-fi figure line led by a female character.

5. Alderaan Luke

Alderaan Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    I don't agree with the headline. We don't need more women main characters. We just need the women characters we need. No more, no less. It can't be a quota. It depends on the plot, and the roles. Personally, i don't like films with lots of female characters.

6. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    If you're referring to the Bechdel test, then it's not about a threshold for films to pass to become "acceptable," even in terms of feminism on film. It's more of a thought experiment that asks the viewer to question the culture around them, and says "why is it, even in 2012, that it is so hard to find films that don't pass this simple threshold for female characters?" Many of my favorite movies don't pass the Bechdel Test, and many films that do pass the test are utter garbage. But it shouldn't be so blasted hard for more movies to pass that test. It shouldn't be a chore.

7. FloydB1Kenobi

FloydB1Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    yes, but a well rounded cast that focuses on both males and females can appeal to both if done properly. Hunger Games is a decent example of this. I just don't want any "I am Woman hear me roar!" or any teenage drama. But if her characterization is done to almost be gender neutral then it could work i.e all gender barriers and stereotypes need to be abandoned.

This can be pulled off, just if they do go with a female lead, the question will be will it work.

8. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    There are quite a few common human experiences that are almost completely gender-neutral. Beyond Padme's pregnancy and Anakin's paternal fears, very few of the characters in SW have plot-relevant experiences that are gender-specific.

mulberry likes this.
  9. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    I remember some Hollywood screenwriter saying that there was a formula for male hero movies. When she wrote by the formula with a woman lead, nobody would buy her work. Male is the default.
    However, I do think a female could be amazing. Katniss (who I personally don't like, because she is very cold and ungrateful) is a great character because she is BETTER than the males, for once. And she does it in sensible clothing with average looks.

QuangoFett and LawJedi like this.
  10. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    But people identify with certain genders more. And recognize them more.

11. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    We more women & that's final.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  12. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    I think with the popularity of other movies recently that have fantasy elements to them and are very popular with the female fan base, it would be wise for them to look at that success from a business standpoint and make sure they include heroines in the new trilogy and not just one. But give the fans a choice of who is their favorite female character and who is their favorite male character, so and and so forth.

13. Alderaan Luke

Nov 6, 2012
    I don't agree and that's final. We need the women we need in relation to the roles and.the plot. no quotas. No more, no less.

14. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Who cares what you agree on. I never ask you to agree. Starwars needs more female characters I don't support misogny so shame on you.

15. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Smh at Star Wars fans who hate women...what is that about? Incredible.

16. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Yes, but how come the woman can't be the best one for once? Why does the woman, no matter how badass, always get resuced? Or why is the woman, no matter now badass, never quite up to the heights of her male counterpart's capabilities? Why can't they be THE best. Why can't a man fill the Leia role and the woman gets to be Luke?
    In Star Wars, I can basically only see Celeste Morne as THE BEST, and that may even be because she is possesed by a powerful Sith spirit. We see a lot of women that are GOOD, but I would like to see one that is the BEST.

17. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Mattel would be for the girls, the daugters.

18. Alderaan Luke

Nov 6, 2012
    There are some films where women are the best,.but in action or adventure films not so much, and i think its logical. In the real world, there are more action and adventure men, even today, than women. Its just the gender differences. And i think the film is more realistic if it reflects that. But.i guess you dont like how is the.world. You would prefer women and men do and like the same things, but we not, and i think thats not a bad thing. if we were the same that would be so boring.

19. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Why would you not like a woman being wonderful for once? Why can't women be Luke and men be second best for once? Then it's not "boring" because they are not the same, there is still a skill difference. Except the traditional placement is shifted.

20. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Some people just have a hard time losing an argument...that's unfortunate.

mulberry and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  21. Alderaan Luke

Nov 6, 2012
    Well, because i think it would not be so credible/realistic. If you want an exception, there are other films, like Catwoman. It's just my opinion..We wont agree but i respect your opinion.

22. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005

credible/realistic?

I'd be careful saying that kind of stuff around here. While I agree there shouldn't be a quota, like we have to have this many just to have this many when we write the story. But really that is very insulting to say... whatever it is you are saying.

I'm not going to sit here and try to argue with you over it. I'm just giving you a heads up, that probably isn't a great choice of words. It might be your opinion but some things are better left unsaid.

23. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Credible?
    Yes, in the Olympics, a woman sprinter being the fastest person ever, over all the men in history, would not be credible. Because the Olympics are all about body. And biologically human women's bodies are less capable than male ones.
    Star Wars has the Force and weapons. And vehicles and technology and politics. A woman is not less-good because she lacks endurance, she's just less-good. But WHY?

24. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    All other things being equal, a woman with the Force beats a man without the Force. ;)

Also, I would strongly recommend looking into studies on gender dimorphism. It varies a lot from culture to culture, and the culture of the SW galaxy is whatever the writer wants it to be. Going by the PT and the EU, there is almost no problem at all with women in martial roles. Female Jedi are in leadership positions on the Jedi Council and participate in the Battle of Geonosis. Remember that Luke Skywalker was at one point going to be written as a woman. With this in mind, there should be nothing preventing a female character from being the action heroine lead of the ST.

25. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    pssst... this conversation is exactly why we need more inspiring female heroes in pop culture. [face_batting]

mulberry and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.