main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation No Boxset for the saga?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 1, 2012.

1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I read that Fox is keeping the distribution rights for ANH and the others stay with Fox until 2020. Does that mean after the new sequels we CAN not get a huge saga box set. Does this ANH will always have to be left off of stuff (if a TV channel wants to show them all, or if disney wants to do a re-release)

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You realize that by the time they're through with film 9 it'll be 2021 (assuming they stay on schedule), right? The distribution rights deal won't affect any box sets of the sort you're describing.

3. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    In 2020 the rights to V, VI, I, II, and III will revert to Disney, but Fox owns the rights to IV in perpituity. My guess is that since they got screwed on this deal they will hold the box set for ransom and Disney will have to pay them a huge sum, but they will eventually come to terms to make it happen.

Padme501st and TreborSabreon like this.
  4. WhinyLuke

WhinyLuke Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2012
    ANH stays with FOX, the others (NOT ANH) ends in 2020

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Ah, misread that. Then yes, I expect money or property rights finagling will be involved.

6. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    That sucks ass. Fox needs to milk it while they can and get them on iTunes and Netflix

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    it's just boring business stuff.

Master_Jacen likes this.
  8. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Ill only buy Star Wars movies with the Fox fanfair, anything else is not as important. I still need to get the BluRay set

9. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm sure deals can and will be made. In fact look for unaltered Blu Rays to come in the future I'd suspect.

Darth Myon and TreborSabreon like this.
  10. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    Fox doesn't own the films to make that decision. They own the distribution rights only.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Why does Fox own ANH till after 2020 but not the others?

12. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah, but wouldn't they have to edit out the fanfare?

13. Samurai-Jack

Samurai-Jack Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2001
    From THR:
    Tangled Rights Could Tie Up Ultimate 'Star Wars' Box Set (Analysis)

14. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    Fox and Disney will simply agree a business deal. It's going to make a lot of money for both companies, so it's not like anyone will be against the idea.

15. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm not buying anymore Star wars box sets that claim to be the complete saga.
    At this point the saga will never be complete. Sure glad I picked up that Blu-ray set that only came out barely a year ago.:rolleyes:

16. lightsaver

lightsaver Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    I'm alright with collecting the Sequel Trilogy boxset by itself and any solo (no pun intended) movies that come out afterward I'll buy individually, lest a Boba Fett trilogy be made. I'm not buying any Clone Wars seasons either, I'm waiting for the series to end for that big 6-7 season collection.

As I said, the ST I can buy by themselves and be alright... until the ST 3D limited release special editions.

17. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    That would imply some common sense - not really Fox's forte.

18. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    They've never released ANH in those formats and seemed to have no say in when Lucas released it on DVD or BluRay so I'm wondering if the contract actually means their distribution rights solely mean the financial gain and no real control - like Paramount and Avengers.

So if Fox has no real control it may just mean they get a cut from Disney - or Disney can sit on a release of ANH until the rights expire.

19. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    3D TV is dead, my friend.

20. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    They didn't have much faith in Star Wars and didn't foresee the sequels actually happening or the effect ANH would have.

So the deal Lucas made for distribution gave him full rights to sequels and merchandise, but even then Fox loved to try screw people over and took on going rights just because they could.

As it turns out, the screw over turned out differently than they expected.

21. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Fox's ownership of the distribution rights to ANH never expire, though.

22. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    I realised that afterward - got confused with their Marvel rights and overlooked the "in perpetuity" bit.

23. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Disney should just put out their own boxset & do their own style of special features. They can put all the Walt Disney Star wars movies together they don't need to bother withe Fox movies that feature Palpatine, they don't really. Need those.

24. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Disney should just put out their own boxset & do their own style of special features. They can put all the Walt Disney Star wars movies together they don't need to bother withe Fox movies that feature Palpatine, they don't really. Need those.

25. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    And that Fox set was 80 bucks & the movies looked great, One would have to be a total fool or idiot to buy those movies all over again.