main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    This, exactly.

2. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Why do some people from before the move have stars and others from before the move (like me) don't?

Valairy Scot likes this.
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Because of issues with the job that gives users the stars. It's on Grimby's list.

4. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I finally got hold of a fix for that. It will hopefully be implemented in the next week.
    In that case, I'll notify the plugin developer.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  5. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    This issue should now be fixed.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Is it still on the table to get rid of that stupid "ignore" feature? Obviously I say this as someone who has already been ignored by half the active userbase.

Actual trolls are uncommon, and because of their nature are usually quickly banned (except one very recent example who was inexplicably kept around). So what other legitimate uses does "ignore" have? It's basically a "block the people I don't like lalalalalala" feature. I think that is silly and counter-productive, especially with new users starting to trickle in.

7. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    I'd very much prefer to keep the ignore feature.

There are more ways for one user to make another one not want to be around them than simple mod-actionable trolling.

8. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    What ways are those?

9. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    You can't be serious.[face_plain]

10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I am being sincere with my question. I don't see what would warrant blocking someone entirely if they are acting within the confines of the rules.

There are people here I don't like (see: everyone), but since threads are, you know, group discussions, blocking them would do a disservice to myself and the community. And sometimes they contribute not-intolerable opinions! I don't think we should have a feature that, on the JC, just ends up indulging oversensitivity.

Plus it would be confusing. I tried the ignore thing with that troll and I couldn't even see when people quoted him.

11. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    Just because the rules don't prohibit something doesn't guarantee it won't be obnoxious.

12. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    I'm gonna have to agree with Rilwen here. The ignore feature is a very useful tool to combat flaming. With it, it becomes a lot easier for someone to ignore a troll, and avoid a troublesome situation.

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk 2

13. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh really, the relatively new user Lord Tyrannus has saying a lot of unusually things in the movie forums and generally clogging up meaningful discussion in those forums, and he that doesn't deserve an ignore?

14. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    The forum just went offline! I had to go over to the freakin' TEMP BOARDS for my Star Wars fix.

15. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Being annoying is...a nuisance at best, but 1500 MESSAGES IN TWO WEEKS?

16. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    I was updating a few of the core software files. The first upload was unsuccessful. :p

17. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW TRAUMATIZING IT WAS FOR ME TO BE SEPARATED FROM THESE FORUMS FOR THOSE 10 MINUTES??!!

18. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Probably about as traumatizing as having to read posts in all caps. ;)

19. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    ALL CAPS? I'LL SHOW YOU ALL CAPS
    [​IMG]

20. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    If I could edit my last post right now I definitely would, because that wasn't my best writing, but apparently I got my point across.

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Flaming and trolling are against the rules. I know some of the Episode VII moderators pretty well. They don't let things like that pass-- that is, if they're alerted to it. If you don't report it, they may not be aware of it. Of course, what I was saying about oversensitivity could also apply.

EDIT: lol Episode IV

22. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Stars should now be working for all users.

Todd the Jedi and Manisphere like this.
  23. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Well then, if flaming and trolling is against the rules, I guess it doesn't hurt to ignore the troll because his post isn't worth reading to most users and ignoring it still prevents flaming which as you said, is against the rules. The best way to enforce a rule is to make it really hard to break it. Preventative measures reduce strain on moderators and generally make discussions so much more pleasant.

24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Moderators exist to get rid of or otherwise punish those who break the rules. There are like 50 of them for the Episode VII forum. Make them a bit useful.

25. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    Darth Guy, please stop a moment and actually think about this.
    It is not 'oversensitivity' to be aware of your limitations as far as how much drek you can read.

If someone continually says things that irritate you, while still staying within the rules, and you don't want to snap at them and maybe get yourself in trouble for flaming, it's nice to have a button to press so that their comments no longer show up.

If someone's posts frequently have undertones of creepy, but not clearly enough to be actionable, why should a person be forced to waste emotional energy on it? It's nice to have a button to press so that when someone just plain repells you, you can keep reading threads. You don't have to wonder if they'll show up in the thread and maybe remind you of unpleasant things. You don't have to mentally tense up at seeing a thread on your fave character show up, knowing it's only a matter of time before Creepy McCreeperson posts in it and you have to try to look past whatever was said.

Practically everywhere tells us 'don't feed the trolls.' We're frequently told to just ignore certain things, because they're apparently not worth getting upset over. Well guess what? Here, we can just ignore things. We can hit 'ignore' and improve our online experience, without allowing the presence of someone we dislike to dictate whether we can or can't enjoy a site.