main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What if Episode VII bombs?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Chaos123x, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    What will happen if Episode VII totally bombs at theaters?

What if Disney pits it against other blockbusters in July instead of the traditional May date?

Seems like John Carter was pretty good but the marketing for it sucked and the movie bombed.

I went to see the Clone Wars animated movie opening weekend and me and my GF were the only one in theater. That movie bombed. Phantom Menace 3D bombed. Red Tails bombed. People are jaded and spew hatred about SW on the Internet 24/7 so what will happen?

If the movie bombs what will happen to the other 2 movies in the trilogy?

I'm hoping they do this back to the future style and films the sequels back to back.

2. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    It's not going to bomb, so there's no need to worry.

The marketing execs at Disney will see to that.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  3. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    The Star Wars name carries too much weight, at least when speaking in terms of a live action movie. Cartoons, video games, books, that's a different story all together.

It will easily be one of the top 2 hyped and promoted movies of the year. Also who will want to put their hopeful blockbuster up against Star Wars? I rented John Carter and walked out of the room, I found it to be dreadfully boring, maybe that's why it bombed?

Even when people were disappointed with Episode I they went and saw II and even when people complained about that they still went to III.

4. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    It'll lead to shakeups in the writing staff, people getting fired, hired, shifted to other departments, blame being cast on something or another, and suits sitting around a table somewhere thinking up another way to milk the Star Wars cash cow.

5. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    No way in hell a full fledged Star Wars movie would bomb in theaters.

Also, don't compare Star Wars to John Carter... Star Wars has great depth of story and easy to relate to characters. John Carter was just a mash of people/things thrown together with no characterization at all, no relatable character, and was just a plain BAD movie!

John Carter didn't fail because of marketing, it failed because it was just BAD.

6. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't believe it will. TPTB aren't going into this half-arsed, they're going it to hit a grand slam with the sequel trilogy.

7. lord_eidolon

Feb 2, 2004
    Yes. John Carter was boring. This is Star Wars. It's a cultural phenomenon.

Flapjack4 likes this.
  8. Chaos123x

Nov 5, 2012
    You never know if a movie will be a hit or a bomb. No big franchise had a sequel bomb before?

9. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    I'd say right now Star Wars is a top 5 movie story easily and we are 2 1/2 years at least away from a release. It's already being hyped and promoted for free through all the media outlets who are talking about it.

10. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    If Disney puts it up against other blockbusters, those blockbusters will move. No studio is going to want to go up against a Star Wars movie.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Chaos123x

Nov 5, 2012

Even Justice League?

12. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    Of course sequels have bombed. But the movie would have to look absolutely dreadful and pathetic in trailers and previews to keep people away. If that would be the case and it was just terrible stuff, who cares if they made more movies if they were THAT bad.

Can't see any of it happening, it's really a moot discussion imo. Star Wars has probably the biggest fan base of any movie franchise. Yes other movies have made more money but that is more to do with inflation not actual ticket sales.

You can't turn on the TV and watch a sitcoms without Star Wars references being dropped. It's everywhere and has been forever.

Star Wars isn't just ingrained in the consumers pop culture but literally all these people who makes TV shows and movies, they love Star Wars that's why it gets so many references. Even when people make fun of it, it is generally because they love Star Wars as a whole.

13. lord_eidolon

Feb 2, 2004
    The 2 biggest films (other than SW) to come out around May/June 2015 are The Avengers 2 and Justice League. Disney won't let Avengers and SW release schedules conflict, so it'll likely be a choice of Justice League or a new Star Wars film for moviegoers. Seeing as Batman isn't the most kid-friendly of franchises, SW would likely be the money maker that summer anyway.

14. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005

Christian Bale won't be playing Batman and the last Superman movie was a dud. (And just because Nolan has a producer tag on the new movie doesn't mean instant success, casual moviegoers don't know who Nolan is) Green Latern? bomb.

They could release it on the same weekend, Star Wars would crush Justice League.

Avengers was at least built up through a series of movies.

The Batman movies give absolutely no indication that he would be in a Justice League. In fact he isn't even Batman anymore so they will have to retcon what Nolan did just to put Batman in Justice League movie. That story is going to be all over the place.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  15. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    There is ZERO chance of it boimbing financially.

Z E R O

Just on opening day they will make their numbers. Midnight showings from coast to coast and opening days from around the world will literally make their money back. Even if the movie is subpar it will not be a bomb financially. If anything IF it isn't as good as hoped then it will hurt the ongoing franchise.

I guarantee -- mark my words -- Ep 7 will NOT bomb. Write that in cement.

16. Chaos123x

Nov 5, 2012
    Now that I think of it, Star Trek: Nemesis bombed hardcore at theaters.

Just wondering if Disney would cancel the other 2 movies if the first one didn't meet expectations.

What if they spend a huge amount like 300 million only to break even domestically.

17. lord_eidolon

Feb 2, 2004
    They've invested 4 billion. It'll take more than disappointing box office figures for a single movie for them to give up on it.

Jedi Merkurian , EviL_eLF and Echo-07 like this.
  18. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005

I literally know one person in my entire real life who likes Star Trek. I think we would be stretching it to say there are as many die hard Star Trek fans as Star Wars fans. Plus casual movie goers don't go to Star Trek. I wouldn't go see it. Not because I just love Star Wars. I just think Star Trek is incredibly dull and boring. Also none of the Star Trek's have ever done the kind of business Star Wars has done 6 out of 6 times. So it's not even a comparison you can make. It just doesn't work to make that comparison on any level.

And you can break even domestically. 300 million isn't that bad at all. Because they know they'd make between 600-800 million foreign.

But sure if no one goes and sees it and Disney loses tons of money. Sure they'll cancel the other movies. Is that what you want to hear? lol.

Echo-07 likes this.
  19. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    People don't seem to remember but even though the prequels were not well liked (by most fans NOT me) they were HUGE box office successes. GL has made 4 billions just on the movie returns.

20. Chaos123x

Nov 5, 2012
    Still what would happen if it did?

21. lord_eidolon

Feb 2, 2004
    Yes. I loved them too. And let's not forget: the main target audience of these films loved them too: kids and young teenagers with a lifetime ahead of them to buy merchandising, toys etc.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  22. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    The last ranked Star Wars movie domestically by money is Empire Strikes back at #49. Two of the movies are in the top 10 all time. 3 are in the top 17 all time.

Star Trek's only film in the top 100 is at #62 and that is the new Star Trek movie and it is still tens of millions behind a movie that came out in 1980 with 1980 movie ticket prices.

TheManFromMortis and Echo-07 like this.
  23. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    Walt Disney will come back to life and delete every copy of any thing Star Wars so no one can ever watch it again. Yep, that's what would happen.

lord_eidolon likes this.
  24. Chaos123x

Nov 5, 2012
    Hmmm do you think they would thaw him out just for that?

I wonder if he is frozen in ice or carbonite?

25. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Actually if Walt came back to life he would eviscerate his company and put it back where he wanted it. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.