main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Why all the EU Hatred?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by JediMJS, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    It's fine to say "it doesn't exist in my personal canon" but saying "it's not canon" is false.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  2. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    SO .......again explain where splinter of the minds eye fits in and the marvel comics of the early 80s?

3. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    I don't know much about them, but back then, Star Wars was more experimental. *HOKEY* But they are canon until someone who counts says that they are not.

4. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    Its like asking me to prove god does not exist....explain to my why it is called EU and not just "The Star Wars" universe in on the offical site its called EU creating a universe outside the the Star Wars Movies when the official site does not bring under them same umbrella as the movies.

5. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    WTF....so both Splinter and Empire happened?.....come on

6. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    EU is EU because it isn't a theatrical film.
    EU is part of the universe. That's why it's Expanded instead of AU. starwars.com is not always the best source. The official stance of Lucas Licensing, which if it says all 6 movies are not canon, all 6 movies become non-canon, is that EU is canon. That's how it got past Lucas Licensing in the first place.

7. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    I am sure that made sense in your head

8. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    this thread needs a RETCON....lol

9. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    What are you going to do if Luke does not turn to the dark side or the Zahn book are ignored ( which they will be) in the ST

10. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Nothing. Once Lucas Licensing approves the films which then get shown on the screen, they are canon and Zahn is not and I can't and won't do anything about it. But until 2015, Zahn is.

11. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    but his story of the clone wars has been flushed as the poo it was

12. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    I already told you. That specific detail is flushed. The work as a whole isn't until 2015.
    Unless Lucas Licensing explicitly singles something out as non-canon, all the contradictory bits are retconned, but the what's left is still canon until it is explicitly stated otherwise.

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It doesn't take the Force to swing a lightsaber. Lizard RIP.

Ryder Windham seems to think so.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/A_New_Hope:_The_Life_of_Luke_Skywalker

14. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I have no qualms with Ysalamiri, every superman needs a kryptonite, it levels the playing field.

15. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Other than TCW and the main post-NJO novel storyline, which ruined the Clone Wars era and the potential of the post-NJO for me, respectively, I don't have a problem with the EU. I am indifferent about many EU works, but as a whole Star Wars is over 20,000 years of history that I generally enjoy. Canon has ceased to mean much to me in recent years thanks to TCW and the main post-NJO novel storyline.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  16. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    In my canon, Luke hits his head after the incident in the force cave on Dagobah and it is all a concussion dream. It has so many parallels to what is probably on his mind. All of the elements are there... having sex with Leia, (still thinking about that kiss on Hoth,) the Kaiburr Crystal shard, (wanting to become more powerful in the force, but being too impatient to fully train,) the jungle planet of Mimban, (He's on Dagobah,) a confrontation with Vader, (just happened,) Halla, the wizened little force master ,(Yoda). ...and then he wakes up! :p

Saurion-Fett and Jedi_Lover like this.
  17. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I agree. Also they were given an almost plausible evolutionary explanation for their abilities. The Vornskrs hunt by sensing the Force signatures of the creatures in the forest. A creature that can subdue its Force signature will survive and have offspring passing on those abilities to their young. Through hundreds of generations of evolution you end up with the ysalamiri and their Force dampening abilities.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  18. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
  19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    [face_rofl][face_rofl] I was laughing so hard I was crying. My sons thought I went nuts and came into my office to check on me. [face_laugh] That pretty much sums things up. Listen, I have two large bookshelves full of the EU books. Some are great and some are not. Give me something different. Give me a action packed story with the good guys winning. Give me romance and not Luke proposing to a woman because he had a Force epiphany after fighting Sentinel droids and facing certain death. It sort of takes the shine off the romance. 'Hell, I'm going to die...I might as well propose.'

kataja, LawJedi and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  20. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    If they ever made a Thrawn Duology series for film or TV I imagine that scene would be tweaked a little.

Mara: "No."
    Luke: "No?"
    Mara: "That was not a proposal Skywalker, now lets get back to civilization and I'll think about it, if you do it properly!"

Jedi_Lover and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  21. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    YOLO

22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    [face_laugh] I love it. And she wants a ring!

I can imagine hearing some Skywalker whining. "But, why not? Come on. Please."

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  23. TheNegotiationsWereShort

TheNegotiationsWereShort Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2012
    This! A million times this. "Dense" is the perfect way to describe it. EU plots out every character's life second-by-second to the point that things become ludicrous, and unless the films directly adapted existing EU, there's no way to avoid "trampling" on it. That's why they're better off just making the best movie they can and not quintuple-checking to make sure it doesn't contradict a comic book about the bowel movements of Palpatine Clone #5,127.

agentkrycek and Saurion-Fett like this.
  24. TheNegotiationsWereShort

TheNegotiationsWereShort Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2012
    Take five minutes? There's about 1,500,000 EU sources that plot out every second of every day for every character in "Star Wars" history. It would be almost impossible to maintain continuity. And there's no reason to even try. Just make the best movie possible, Disney. If you start sweating bullets over ruining the "canon" of junior novels, Episode VII will fail.

25. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    What EU works have you been watching or reading that do this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.