main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC David Petraus resigns over affair

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That's the Petraeus biographer who's being investigated by the FBI for trying to access his top-secret emails. People are assuming she's the mistress. Just saying if that's how she dresses when she goes on The Daily Show, then I'm pretty sure she's the one :p

2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    so you're saying that she's clearly a whore because of how she's dressed, basically?

3. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    There's that but there is also the possibility of such information being used for blackmail purposes among other things. Lot of folks think it's about morality when it's the security and professionalism angle which is the primary concern. I cannot get into specifics here, but I know someone who works in this general area, lot of the rules seem asinine if not outright draconian to people who aren't in that line of work, but they do make a lot of sense when viewed in that context, not only because of what could happen but also based upon things which have happened in the past.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    No... I'm saying she's clearly sexy and seductive, and if she's not afraid to show it on a comedy news show, then she's definitely the "prime suspect" as the mistress

5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    hmmm, not sure how we're saying different things.

Darth Guy likes this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm saying that if she dressed anything like that during her private interviews with Petraeus, it's quite easy to figure out how the affair started. And you can be involved in an extramarital affair without being a "whore."

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yes, but you're clearly saying that she's more likely to be promiscuous because of how she dressed on the daily show.

Darth Guy likes this.
  8. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    To be honest something like this isn't unexpected. I mean didn't Ike have something going on with his female aide while he was Supreme Allied Commander? Most powerful men tend to end up in affairs with attractive women they spend lots of time with. That said if Petraeus approached the president he must've been feeling too guilty to continue. I mean surely they could've gotten it hushed up if he wanted to keep his job.

This is bad all around. The CIA needs stability it's gone through how many Directors in the past two presidents? It needs somebody who can be in power for 15 years or so who can get the agency sorted out. And if the FBI was reading the CIA directors email... well that will sure help their rivalry.

And this makes Obama look bad because of the Benghazi situation... the timing of this is just to coincidental to have people not suspect something is up even if there really isn't.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The last CIA Director got promoted.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What about what Petraeus was wearing? Why are you assuming that she was the one that seduced him?

Rew likes this.
  11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I only made a somewhat-joking post that she's obviously sexy, and she knows it and shows it... so if she's the mistress then it's pretty easy to see how this affair started

I'm not. If she dresses like that normally, then it'd be easy to see why Petraeus seduced her. Or maybe she did seduce him. Who cares.

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    He was just asking for it.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  13. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Which is good for him personally... not so good for the CIA. They need to be able to keep the same boss for longer than 2-3 years.

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    He could have kept his job even after admitting to the affair, if he wanted to, I'm sure.

I don't think the CIA Director has ever stayed on more than one president's administration, I'm pretty sure it's like the cabinet positions.

I don't think the FBI was reading his email... the CIA asked the FBI to investigate the biographer because SHE tried to access his emails, I think. Could be wrong.

Lastly, I don't see how this makes Obama look bad. If this is anyway at all related to Benghazi, it's probably Petraeus who messed up and doesn't want to be grilled over it.

16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    What are you basing this on?

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Thanks Jello, there's an image I won't be able to get out of my head tonight.[face_plain]

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    According to you, then, the CIA has never been a "stable" agency. A characterization I'm personally not inclined to disagree with.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The CIA has always been a stable source of leaked information and money. It's never been as well regarded for tradecraft as the British.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    GO BOARD ERRORZ.

21. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I took an intro to intelligence class in college. My professor was an ex CIA officer. From what he taught us the CIA know is in dire need to stability since Congress keeps shaking up the intel community with new agencies like the Department of Homeland Security, etc... He always stressed how Tennet told Bush if he had 10 years with no major problems he could get the CIA back to pre-Clinton levels.

22. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, I didn't mean it in an intelligence agency ****-measuring contest kind of way.
    Pre-Clinton levels of anti-democratic coups, I hope?

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ghost, you're being ridiculous. This isn't 1870.

GenAntilles, the D/CIA is a political appointee. That's how it works. The Officers of the United States -- as opposed to civil service officers (usually at deputy assistant level or equivalent depending on whether it is a department or agency) -- move in and out with administrations, and often during administrations. They're political. The permanent leadership stays on.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    What, still hopeless inefficient at gathering intelligence and fundamentally a career path for most officers?

I've had to help clean up messes the CIA's made in SE Asia. Their reputation in the field isn't stellar and it has nothing to do with the DCI being the same guy for a bunch of years. The whole culture of the organisation needs reform and that won't happen so long as it provides excellent career opportunities.

25. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    headlines should read: "Petraeus Resigns Over Least Despicable Act in CIA History"

26. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    I don't think the issue here is the affair. From what I'm reading, the FBI was looking at him because he allowed Broadwell to have unauthorized access to classified documents. Seems to me like Petraeus is working to keep that part out of people's minds.

It's not like having an affair is a bona fide career-killer these days for straight white men. (Clinton, Gingrich)

Just wait til she gets raped. All on her. (sarcasm)

27. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    But Harry, the Defence Against the Dark Arts position is cursed.

Summer Dreamer and ma_petite like this.