main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What if Episode VII bombs?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Chaos123x, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    Perhaps they will thaw him out just to refreeze him in carbonite in honor of Star Wars.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  2. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Done right, Justice League could be the Lord Of The Rings of superhero films. In fact writing and/or directing Justice League is one of my 4 dream jobs (the others being Star Wars, Superman and Wonder Woman). Justice League has the potential to change the superhero genre forever. But Warner Brothers don't really know what they're doing so it's probably going to be a dud.

3. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012

Yeah my dream would be to work on a Star Wars movie in any capacity. Sucks I work Disney but have no chance in hell of being even a grip or PA let alone a director.

4. lightsaver

lightsaver Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    Not a chance. Eventhe people who badmouthed the prequels and swore that Lucas destroyed their childhood and declared never to watch Star Wars or buy its merchandise will show up for Ep. VII, even camp out in line and use the excuse that GL didnt write or direct it as the reason why they can watch it. The community has been waiting so long for the ST to happen that previous "problems" will be overlooked.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    That's good knowledge!

It's also ironic and I love irony.

Empire IMO is the BEST Star Wars movie and it's not even the top ranked SW movie.

6. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Star Wars is more mainstream then Star Trek, always has been.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  7. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Star Wars is ingrained in the culture to a degree that Star Trek can never reach.

8. artooo

artooo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    What if China decides to become the 51st state instead of Puerto Rico? Yeah, I don't think that will happen, either.

9. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    Well, actually I need to credit Boxofficemojo.com. I didn't know the exact rankings off the top of my head.

10. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    It is possible that this film can bomb. But what would be considered a bomb. In terms of attendance then I'd say AOTC of the Clones at 50m. However in 3D that would still be around $1billion. That seems a great result but wouldn't really because it would show that the popularity of Star Wars is in rapid decline. ROTS had an attendance of around 57m which is just shy of the Avengers attendance at 59m. I think that would be classed as a hit. If VII hits TPM levels of attendance of 96m then it's the biggest film ever if its in 3D. This would mean the film is really good and a massive hit even if it is just in 2D.

If it bombs it will be because its a bad film. Unlikely because it already has a better producer and screen writer. If it bombed it would mean more films will come out but Star Wars reputation damaged permanently and will not be the box office heavy weight it used to be.

By the way a July release probably suits us better in the UK because the schools start the holidays then. What about in the US?

11. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    If it bombs they'll just follow the trend established for the prequels - make more. This is where the luxury of merchandising through toys, books, video games and action figures helps to break the fall of any unmet commercial success of the film. Seriously, if Star Wars were to be doomed, it would have to be back somewhere as early as The Holiday Special. But, the love for Star Wars just resonated too strongly for even that to kill Star Wars. In fact, The Clone Wars film was a critical and box office bomb wasn't it? Yet here we are discussing Episode 7.

12. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    A very strange thread and topic.

Plus, I don't think Star Wars is getting the traditional May release anyway. Not if its getting released in 2015.

13. Moog

Moog Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2003
    No chance of it bombing whatsoever. It has a chance at a critical panning, but I think it's unlikely. Revisionist popular opinion would have us believe the prequels were critical failures, but that's not true. People need to look back at the reviews of I-III which were written at the time. I remember Empire magazine giving AOTC 5 stars and later having the nerve to backtrack and say they should have only given it 4 stars, simply becase it was then 'uncool' to like the prequels. And even then 4 stars is a good review! Aaargh!!

Anyway, whatever hapens VII will make enough money to justify VIII and IX. If it's awful people might finally start to embrace the prequels more though...

14. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    All of the teeth gnashing and consternation over the prequels is silly. LOL

As much as "everyone" hated the prequels they made a ton of money worldwide.

There is absolutely no way Ep7 fails financially, barring the unforseen natural disaster. Z E R O chance.

15. Vid_The_Impaler

Vid_The_Impaler Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2012
    The Avengers 2 in coming out on May 1, 2015. It seems unlikely Disney would release Ep 7 in May of 2015 to conflict with that.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't remember TCW movie getting nearly the press that this movie is already getting, but I was on a fandom hiatus at the time so maybe I wasn't paying attention.

The prequels definitely didn't "bomb," even if some didn't like them as much as the originals. TPM's box office figures are up to over a billion dollars with its 3D release, that's hardly "bombing."

I'm with those who say that opening night alone will make this film a box office success. Even if it's playing close to Avengers 2.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  17. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I tried to find some enthusiasm for TCW. Couldn't find it. Eventually I watched it on DVD and was not impressed. Really pandered to pre-teens with that one. And I haven't even watched one episode of the series. Read they brought Darth Maul back -- ughhhh. I do NOT consider those canon. Generally, I don't follow the EU -- too subpar for my taste.

18. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    If none of the other SW films has bombed, this one isn't about to either. And you can't quote the CW - that was animated and only released half-hearetdly as an after thought to promote the series (which I think can be pretty great at times).

I'll say this - if the film is genuinely good it will be enormous.

19. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Financially there is absolutely no chance of it being a dud.
    It will earn ludicrous amounts of money.
    Even the angry fanboys who rant here how they won't see the movie if the credits don't say "story by Lucas", if there's no Chewie, if no one expands on Ponda Baba's recovery from surgery after the cantina incident, if they don't show the next big hit of the cantina band... they will all see it.
    More than once.

We all know it.

As for the quality of the movie itself, not counting the earnings, that remains to be seen.

20. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Disney may decide to go ahead and claim the first 2 months of summer by releasing Avengers 2 on May 1st, and Episode VII for Memorial Day weekend. No one is going to go up against Ep.7, just like everybody gave the Phantom Menace a wiiiiiiide berth. Heck, the Matrix, for all the pre-release hype it had, was released in March of '99.

Echo-07 likes this.
  21. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    > Make an actual Star Wars film, call it the 7th addition to the Star Wars saga, bring back the OT cast.
    > ???
    > Profit.

Jeff Vader and Echo-07 like this.
  22. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I don't think it will bomb. The name alone will sell the movie. That being said, it doesn't mean it will be better than the Prequels. Now, if the first film fails in storytelling to the majority, then yeah, I can see the next film not doing so hot at the theater.

If you look at the last Pirates of the Caribbean movie and how much success it had at the theater, you'll see what I mean. That movie was awful and it shouldn't have made half of what the first film cashed in.

Echo-07 likes this.
  23. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I can't see it bomb, I mean it's STAR WARS!

Echo-07 likes this.
  24. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Almost everyone on earth who can sit upright, see, hear, and follow a story will want to see this movie.

Jedi Merkurian and Echo-07 like this.
  25. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Another high-budget Disney sci-fi bomb?
    Those execs can't be that stupid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.