main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lucasfilm Confirms: Michael Arndt To Write Screenplay For Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diggs, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    You never know, Darabont could be a good choice for director.

I could definitely see Asajj Ventress make an appearance in 7 (depending on what her CW fate is). I wouldn't be surprised if other characters make a reappearance either - the Death Watch crew or Talzin, for example, or even (depending on her fate) Ahsoka.
    We've yet to see a female villain in the saga. Would be something different.

As for Arndt's supposed lack of action sci-fi, I think Oblivion and Hunger Games would qualify him on that front, although they haven't been released yet. And don't forget that TS3 has plenty of fun action-packed sequences that aren't just exciting, they're driven by characters we care for. That to me is what will make this new trilogy tick, I hope.

Even Little Miss Sunshine has plenty of relevance for SW 7. A group of bickering, inter-generational family members make a journey in a vehicle that is constantly falling apart and letting them down. Feels potentially, very SW to me.

Arndt is proven at writing humour and emotion as well, and he's a massive fan. He will totally get how important getting this right is (in a way I don't think GL has of late). I think it's a perfect fit.

ThatWanFromStewjon likes this.
  2. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    [face_hypnotized]

3. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Its good that Epsiode VII has a writer. :)

4. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Yes, I was hoping that they'd get a writer who could actually write a believable family - the bickering, humor and love in Little Miss Sunshine is real life behavior.

The squabbling in the OT is the chemistry of people forming a family - but 30 or 40 years on after knowing each other so well and having kids just as bad as them will make for a great dynamic.

I'm glad you reminded me that Arndt does that so well.

FinleySlade likes this.
  5. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Or at least that they've told us about it and put us out of our misery. :)

6. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Yep, just need them to get on with the director/producer annoucements and then we'll have the basic frame work in place.

7. Moog

Moog Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2003
    I'm pleased about this. Between Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3 he's displayed a lot of stuff it would be nice to see in the characters, especially Steve Carell's character in LMS and Andy in TS3. Both films are strong on the themes of family and the idea of moving on / growing up, which is perfect for EpVII if it's going to go with GL's original idea of a 'passing on what you've learned' kind story.

8. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Well Kennedy is executive producer - I would have expected her to be taking more control but I'm sure there is a reason.

I think the producer will be decided with the director as a many directors come with producing partners these days.

However, it is already a solid team - Kennedy as exec, Lucas as creative consultant, Disney as the shepard, Arndt as writer, ILM looking after effects and the boffins and Lucasfilm taking care of the designs and concepts.

9. Master Hamahiga

Master Hamahiga Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Yes, Yoda (Lucas) and his ideas will always be with Arndt. Remember, creative consultant....

10. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006

Yes I did mean Ray Charles. I was tired and just spaced it.

11. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The guy who wrote Toy Story 3?

SOLD. :D

12. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    a scriptwriter does not deliver the initial plot idea. Toy Story plot idea was written by lasseter and his co producers. Arndt just gave it the finish. Little sunshine girl was his own story not toy story 3.

lucas will deliver the plot idea.

13. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    Man, this all happening so fast. It's like I've somehow slipped into some quantum snafu. Awesome news.

14. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    Michael arndt will write the script/screenplay. Not workout the plotidea/direction of the story. Lucas will deliver the plot and based upon that arndt will write the screenplay.

15. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    what is so awesome about it? Disney is pofessional and hires the best one for the job, lucas always wanted to do everything himself as a perfectionist. but he sometimes failed to understand the fans(or vice versa). The new Star Wars Plot will also be from his brain, it will just have more influence from others and will be more marketable..

16. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Yes, it seems to be opinion that the story is all his.

He is working off Lucas' treatment and is clearly in constant touch.

I'm curious though as to how much detail Lucas has put into the treatment (based on his history with SW I would imagine a hell of a lot) - but I'd be curious to know if Arndt is going to have to create asny action sequences from scratch.

17. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    Michael bay should do the actionseqeunces. Arndt should just write "Shipbattle", "Lightsaberduell" in his script and Bay can do like he wishes. it would be awesome sauce!

18. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Lucas doesn't always describe all the action sequences in a basic treatment rundown. A light saber battle my just have "They Fight", later on action sequences will be storyboarded and have multiple animatics made
    Before shooting the scene.

19. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    [face_rofl]Michael Bay [face_rofl]

Wait...you're serious?[face_shame_on_you]NO!NO!NO! [face_shame_on_you]

20. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Fortunately Bay won't be going anywhere near SW.

21. Chaos123x

Nov 5, 2012
    I wonder if George will get a "Story by" credit.

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    If he doesn't, it will just be an EU movie to me.

DM99, JainaSoloYJK and Khan_Mace like this.
  23. Khan_Mace

Khan_Mace Jedi Master

Jun 1, 2005
    Disgustingly entitled talk. Go read Dark Empire.

Is it established that they're working off of a Lucas story? Otherwise it'll smack of fanfiction, no matter how good the writer is.

DM99 and ThatWanFromStewjon like this.
  24. Chaos123x

Nov 5, 2012
    ^ This

DM99 and Khan_Mace like this.
  25. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    That sounds right - a person who doesn't understand their own creation!!!

Tripe.

I suppose Rowling doesn't understand Harry Potter, Cameron doesn't get Terminator and Homer really lost the plot with The Illiad - to coin a phrase.

Glad your not in the movie business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.