main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What would you add/subtract to make the Prequels better?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarthEmpron, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    I know that anakin being the chosen meant he destroyed the sith. You contradicted me.

How would destroying the darkside be bad? Be more specific.

How do u know plageius trained palpatine? Palpatine said that plageius was a sith legend. Legends are old. Millenia or centuries old. So PLageius would've been dead by the time palpatine was born. He was just a story. How do you know he wasnt?

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    1. Strongly implied by the film.
    2. Confirmed by the official SW website.
    3. Confirmed by EU.

"the undoing of life as you understand it".

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  3. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    In AOTC, I would consider replacing the Naboo throne room scene with Padme Parents scene and Padme's bedroom scene. I can see why Lucas deleted those scenes, so I go back and forth on this, but those scenes do so much for the love story, and they really make Anakin seem more likable. I also question the decision to try to make Dooku such an ambiguous character. I dont think anybody was fooled, so chopping his scenes down didnt help much. Also, deleting just a few words of Anakin - "ITs not fair!" , "He's jealous!" - that would go a long way.

In ROTS, Lucas should have found a way to make Alderaan way more prominent. He possibly could have made it the planet that Greivous takes over instead of Utapeau. Also, Battle of the Heroes should have been more like the animatic that appeared on the PT bonus blueray. It should have featured longer cuts and should not have retreated to the Yoda/Sidious battle as much as it did. It should have featured wider shots of the enviornment of Mustafar. It just didnt seem as epic as it should have been. Duel of the Fates was better. Also, Anakin shouldnt have told Padme about his dream. Telling her about his dream seems like a very non masculine thing. It would have been far more powerful and far more tragic. THe Naboo shot should have been deleted, Padme's funeral should have been deleted. After Vader yells NO!!!! it should have immediately cut to Obiwan feeling a disturbance in the force aboard Tantive 4. Then they talk about what they are going to do with the babies. There should have been an extended sequence of Obiwan approaching Tatooin in one of the pods.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Love all of this, except for the part about Anakin not telling Padme about his dream. Men are allowed to be "un-masculine" around their wives. ;)

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  5. rpeugh

Apr 10, 2002
    ;) Well in fairness she did have to pry it out of him. So I suppose it isnt so un masculine. But I do think it would have been more heart wrenching if she didnt know exactly why he was doing what he was doing.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    From my end I think the lack of communication on Anakin's part, mostly with Obi-Wan but some with Padme as well, was bad enough as it was.

7. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Yeah. I didn't care about the yoda vs sidious fight. Totally agree with you. At least yoda didn't zap the emperor with green lightning. What did anakin mean when he said obi wan was jealous? I liked the "whiny" scenes, like "its not fair". Another thing. Alderaan. It had no prominence in the prequels whatsoever. It should have. That way we were emotionally affected when it was destroyed by Vader in ANH. Yeah. We should have seen more of mustafar. I thought it was epic. Obi wan and vader crawling on the towers, jumping around all agile. 20 yrs later vader would be disabled inside a robot suit and obi wan would be an old man, and they have a slow duel on a space station. Interesting, the contrasts, if u ask me.

What do you mean by its not masculine and not tragic if anakin doesn't tell padme about his dreams? Another thing, they're not dreams, they are mystical visions from the Force. Battle of the heroes was way more epic than duel of the fates. I liked the part that played when anakin and obi wan talked "i have failed u anakin. The Jedi are evil."! That music was so suspensful. They should add battle of the heroes to vader vs obi wan in a new hope. Agree? Just like the prequels.

What naboo scene should have been deleted? Padme's funeral was nessecary. We get to see her home planet for the last time, her body for the last time, all the people from naboo like her parents and nephews (lukes cousins), and the music was very sad, also, the necklace that cute kid anakin gave her was shown at that scene. The human side of Vader. A cyborg samurai working for the Emperor now, we get a homage/shout out to him being an innocent little boy, and giving padme the necklace. I felt like crying at that part. It was very tragic.

Vader's no was nessecary. Yeah. Obi wan feeling a disturbance was a good idea, it had a parallel to the originals. What do u mean by longer cuts in the obi wan vs vader duel? More animatic? What?

8. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Didn't happen. [face_shame_on_you]

- Steve "why does OT Vader get blamed for EVERYTHING?" :rolleyes: TOSCHESTATION

Sistros likes this.
  9. rpeugh

Apr 10, 2002
    What I mean by not masculine is that he should not have told Padme that she dies if he doesnt know she dies and if he doesnt know if he would be able to save her. All he is doing is scaring her.

The shot where the ship lands on Theed should be deleted. As much as I like Naboo I got sick and tired of seeing it and didnt want to see it in ROTS. Also, the end of ROTS just gave me too much of a RETURN OF THE KING vibe. Too many loose ends being tied up to neatly. It would have been much better to go straight from the final TANTIVE 4 scene to the STAR DESTROYER SCENE, where they are viewing the construction of the Death Star, then straight to Obiwan flying in a pod towards Tattoine with baby Luke. It shows him landing in the desert and he walks out, then ofcourse hands baby Luke to the LARS. Nice flow, and to the point.

By longer cuts I mean that the movie shouldnt left the Obiwan/ Anakin duel as much as it did and should have stayed there longer. Just when I start to really get emotionally invested in it, Im taken back to the Yoda/Sidious duel. It felt like a freakin trailer. It shoould have been edited more like the Bespin Duel in TESB. Watch the prequel bonus blue ray disk and go to the deleted scenes section of Mustafar. You will find the animatic for The Duel, and it is much better. I dont prefer the end of the animatic, but the begining is awesome.

10. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    because he wears black suits of armour and breathes heavy ;)

:p

11. FunintheSun

FunintheSun Jedi Padawan

Nov 6, 2011
    My biggest pet peever and headscratcher in the PT: I would have had Padme die of complications due to Anakin force choking her. That would have made the anger line more poignant to me. I would have even been satisfied with complications of childbirth. But I think physical complications would have worked better. I never bought the the "She's lost the will to live." reasoning. She had two newborn babies, for goodness sakes! She didn't want to live for them? :confused:

I agree the prophecy could have been a Sith prophecy, not a Jedi prophecy.

12. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I kind of know what you mean, but I disagree. The universe/galaxy needs to be bigger, not smaller. Having Grevious take over Alderaan would just feature another planet we all know and are familiar with, but including a new planet is a fresh idea. Kinda like how people are annoyed with chewie piggybackriding and being friends with Yoda, and vader building c3po, because those were shoehorned.

They showed Alderaan at the end of Episode 3.

13. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I would change practically everything with the prequels! Maul can stay -the rest? *throws out top floor of building*

But since we have them... I think all 3 of the prequels need scenes chopped out. Most would be the bad acted scenes (Quite a few of the Anakin and Padme scenes from Clones need to go)

Jar Jar to a minimun (If at all)

Real locations.

Alderaan instead of Naboo!

14. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    The universe/galaxy needs to be bigger, not smaller.

15. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

So . . . you wanted Lucas to get rid of the mythological aspects of Padme's death, is that it? You wanted reality and not myth? Because honestly, I never had any difficulty with Padme's death . . . until Lucas tried to change matters to satisfy the fans who couldn't accept the courtly love aspect of Anakin and Padme's relationship, along with her death.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    What change are you referring to?

17. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    More location shooting, less politicising of the plot, less characters and overall, just a less is more approach. It went from overly light to overly dark, overly dialogue driven to overly action driven, there was no middle ground.

18. tuskinraiderfromhell

tuskinraiderfromhell Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2004
    Nothing. Episodes I-III are perfect the way they are.

19. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Umm, how was Anakin and Padme's relationship "courtly love"? I don't see how it was courtly love in the least....

20. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    You don't see much, do you? MOD ShaneP EDIT: That wasn't neccessary.

21. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    [face_dancing]

22. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I think people should watch it from episode 1-6, like georgey said. Also, I know it would ruin the plot twist that vader was anakin skywalker and luke was vader's son, but that's the whole point. It also spoils the Leia plot twist.

I watched the prequels first. I watched a new hope, esb, knowing that anakin was vader, and leia was the daughter of vader/anakin father skywalker, and luke was vader's son. However, the point of that is that Star Wars is Anakin Skywalker's story, not Luke's. We're not supposed to be suprised at I am Your Father. Luke is...

23. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Tyrannus and Nub, knock it off please.

24. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Ok. I'll stop arguing with him. However, my post above was not directed at Nub, it was a response to a post that somebody made about the prequels and originals order to watch it in.

Thanks...

25. FunintheSun

FunintheSun Jedi Padawan

Nov 6, 2011
    Yeah, because on that specific aspect, I personally felt reality would have worked to show how much rage he had and in turn how much strength can come from anger. I understand why it was done the way it was done and respect it, but the manner she died never sat quite right with me. Now their love was never a problem for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.