main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [Reactions] U.S. Presidential Election Day 2012

Discussion in 'Community' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Nov 4, 2012.

1. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    I think when people say that people are poor because they're "lazy", or that they "choose to be homeless", they're really only doing so to make themselves feel secure. It's away of reassuring themselves that it won't happen to them. "That person is on food stamps, he's poor -- he must be lazy. I'm not lazy, so I won't ever be poor." It's because I think we all know it could very well happen to us. So it's a way of deluding oneself. Deep down, they're actually saying it because they're afraid.

I have seriously seen people argue just that. *shudder*

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    And infact, when abortion was illegal in most states, women, did infact do whatever they could to get an abortion. Sometimes with no - good outcome.

3. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Apply that argument towards other forms of murder:

"I'm personally against hitmen and murder, but I don't want people to have to use illegal hitmen who might hurt them as well as the person they were paid to kill. So taking out hits should be legal and regulated so that it's safe."

If you believe in the personhood of the unborn, then the argument that we can't stop it, so we might as well make it safe, is not only illogical, it's kind of offensive. It is saying that people should be protected from the possible ill effects of them having someone else murdered.

Any comparison to substance prohibition is a bad analogy because most pro-lifers (by which I mean abortion should be considered murder and therefore illegal) have their position in order to protect the right of the unborn to live, and not be killed. It's not about preventing someone from engaging in behavior which is directly bad for them and by extension is a detriment to society, which is the principle that substance regulations are usually based on.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Its not an argument that it should be made safe and available for any reason, its the basis for a societal understanding that abortions are only even considered in certain clearly defined circumstances and are regarded as a last option. So if a woman is having an abortion, say on grounds of medical necessity, that's one thing. If she's having one simply to terminate an unwanted pregnancy, that's completely different. And yes, I readily acknowledge that comparing prohibition to abortion is not a perfect fit, but I maintain there are lessons that can be learned by pro-life groups from the failure to make prohibition stick over the long term.

5. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  6. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I've actually always wanted to meet the actual Electors. This year I'm going to head up to the Capital on the day they convene and see if I can pull it off.

MrZAP likes this.
  7. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    This also over 30 also white woman agrees with the above.

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    A super-majority of voters in Mississippi have proven that they really don't think abortion is murder. Other states have proven the same thing, from Colorado to to Oklahoma to Florida.

Personhood is the goal of the pro-life movement. And it has been rejected, that's a fact. That's why I said the movement has reached a dead-end. See below...

9. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Personhood is the goal of the pro-life movement. And it has been rejected, that's a fact. That's why I said the movement has reached a dead-end. See below...

58-42 is a sizeable majority, and if anything greater than 50+1/∞ really more than a mere majority, so I'll give you the technical meaning of a super-majority, but really, 42% of voters in Mississippi in 2011 wanted the State to define that personhood begins at fertilization. 42% of Mississippians voted for President Obama this last election, so I think this makes it reasonable for me to say that a sizeable part of that majority was people who are in fact pro-choice.

Furthermore, even though many of them rejected personhood at fertilization, how many of them accept personhood at third trimester? Second? 10 weeks? 21 days?

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    What exactly are you saying? That Romney's supporters weren't overwhelmingly, disproportionately white and this doesn't deserve to be mocked?

11. Condition2SQ

Sep 5, 2012
    No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that the "white people" URL obviously is intended to indicate that Romney losing was a tragedy for "white people", and that ergo Romney winning would have been a triumph for white supremacy.

Well, it turns out that "black people" aren't a monolithic entity; some of them genuinely sympathize with conservative thought and wanted Romney to win. Declaring by fiat that any black person who voted for Romney was some sort of masochist encapsulates the definition of bigotry.

If the name of the site were "people mourning Romney"--the overwhelming number of which happened to be white--I would have no problem whatsoever with it. As is, it's a disgusting staging of a morality play where "black people" didn't want Romney to win.

12. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    It's really no different than "People of Walmart".

13. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    yes, the numbers support that. they also support that an inordinate number of white people (59% of white voters) voted against obama. and logically, if u a racist, you weren't exactly lookin' forward to Four More Years

at any rate, im sorry you take it so personal when people point out systemic racism

14. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    ahh Black People... never such when

African Continental Americans seperated from african cultraly between 500-200 years.

naturalized African imigrants to america.

Africans from the Carribean Diaspora.(Latino, Anglo, Franco, Dutch)

Africans from the South American. (Latino, Anglo,Dutch)

can be cramed into one overarching group and mind set. Whom make up 13% of the US population, only gave republicans 7% or that 13% that voted.

I sometimes wonder if conservatives think "Thoes blacks! they have a Collective conciousness that makes them all vote Democrat!"

15. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    yeah, this is why i like to mock star wars. though i can't mock it as much as i would like because the fandom isn't overwhelmingly, disproportionately white enough. but if star wars 7 manages to accomplish this through a storyline in which my norrities and alien species are debased and tortured, then i will be able to significantly raise the mocking level.

16. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    NBC News just called Florida for Obama.

Electoral vote total for the President: 332.

I have to say, I'm very surprised but his margins. Nate Silver has just cemented his career, at least until he gets one wrong.

Peace,

V-03

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I love how Florida totally has its act together. States that look like penises FTW.

19. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I love that article because it focuses on my favorite aspect of the election, that, "Never had a real job a day in his life" Obama led a first class, state of the art, operation while the private sector genius used his skills to create a sloppy mess.

Will America wake up and realize that making money from other people's money does not make you a leader? Probably not.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This is a great point, because just like a summer popcorn movie, being President is not about helping improve the lives of people from all backgrounds in a just, equitable manner, but instead creating a niche appeal within an already fairly narrow genre. Oh, wait.

Darth Guy likes this.
  21. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    hey if anyone sees any articles or videos of post-election romney please let me know. i know he's probably sequestered in a bunker on a golf course somewhere but if he does contact the press in any way i need to know about it

Kiki-Gonn likes this.
  22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    romney's facebook

make a mental note of how many people "like" him. wait 20 seconds and refresh your browser.

Sauntaero and Rogue_Ten like this.
  23. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    He lost 3 likes in about 10 seconds.

24. Condition2SQ

Sep 5, 2012
    Haha. I "unliked" him on election night (or maybe it was the next morning. Not sure).

(I "liked" all four of the President and VP candidates to keep up with their campaigns)

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003