main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Everybody and Yo Mama Wants to Be in Ep. VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Lord Tyrannus, Nov 5, 2012.

1. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Heard the exact opposite; he wanted to return, but didn't have the time for it.

2. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

I dunno, I think Ewan could be cool, but not as a force ghost. He had 20 years or so to watch over Luke, Ewan's age now would put him about halfway through that time. Why not have him make some holovids for Luke to watch when he's ready to take on the Jedi order? It'd be a cool little cameo, wouldn't look fake, and, let's be honest, a great special feature if they filmed several vids in their entirety.

As far as Anakin's FG - well, it could be either very good, or VERY bad. Done well, I'm sure the scene could be awesome. The question we need to ask is not, can it be done, but rather, would any director want to take that risk?

3. Alderaan Luke

Alderaan Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    I think we have been a little unfair to Hayden. Sincerely, i think it's really difficult to act if you are surrounded with green screen.

Even the great Ewan Mcgregor does a "meh" job in the PT, because of the same reason.

BTW, i think Hayden does a better job in Ep II than Ep III.

4. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    He got his cheque. He didn't deliver. Period.

The_Hellhammer likes this.
  5. Alderaan Luke

Nov 6, 2012
    Ok, but then...who really delivered? As i said even Ewan Mcgregor did a worse job than his average...

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not 100 percent sure what he was supposed to deliver but didn't, other than a character with different lines and a different personality--and it's not his fault that that's what some people wanted. Seems to me that he played the role the way Lucas asked, with a few compromises, one being in the Lars garage scene in AOTC (Lucas wanted no tears, Hayden wanted to cry through the whole scene, so he cried through half of it) and in the sleepless Knight sequence in ROTS (Hayden asked that Natalie be there with him; he was originally going to wake up from the nightmare elsewhere).

That said, I won't blame the green screen either, in interviews with Hayden, he compared it to acting in a school play, which I think is where most actors get their start--acting in plays.

darksideyesplease likes this.
  7. Alderaan Luke

Nov 6, 2012
    Well yes, actors don't blame green screens, director neither...But what is the reality? That 99% of actors do a worse job working with green screens...

8. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Obviously it's subjective, but by & large most viewers weren't too impressed with his performance, regardless of other factors. I agree that it isn't all on him, but as a actor who was paid to do a job he looked pretty amateurish up there.

9. Alderaan Luke

Nov 6, 2012
    But yeah, i agree he could have done a better job. But it's not all on him.

10. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    It's very subjective, yes.
    And from a very subjective standpoint - I hope we don't see his wooden angry teenager portrayal of Anakin again.

11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    No , let him (and us) rest in peace .

12. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    Normally I would be very much against it, but under a real writer and a real director it might not actually be too bad.
    Better than a CGI old dude anyway.

13. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    That's a lie, Lucas never listens to anyone or takes any criticism [face_batting]

14. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005

I've said this on multiple occasions but no one has really ever agreed with me. Originally I imagined Anakin as a young 30's type of man before turning to the dark side. I think being a little older would have made his betrayal even more unforgivable. But that was just my vision before the PT.

I think the character was written a certain way and he did his best to make the character that was written on paper come to life on the screen. From interviews I've seen, I would say that he was very much into the part and excited to be a part of it. So I don't think it was a lack of trying.

But I also respect people's opinion that they didn't enjoy the performance and the first thing you are going to think is that the actor can't act. But I think it goes far beyond that.

I think a more mature/older Anakin turning to the dark side would have been a harder story to write but then would have come off less... needy? whiney? on screen. Those are others words, not really mine. Just using that as an example.

What I always did find funny was people get on the "I hate you line" and how childish it was... blah blah.

Sure, he has anger issues and yes is it immature? Yes, but that was a pretty real line to me. I know I've felt like that previously in my life, especially going through hardships. Should anyone be proud of saying things like that or acting like that? No, I'm not saying that but it for sure happens in life.

15. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    But what does "deliver" mean? I'm guessing that since you're referring to a cheque, you mean he didn't deliver for the director -- which is patently false. Christensen played Anakin exactly the way that Lucas wanted him to. That you didn't like the performance is your right, of course, but I don't think you are in the position to say that he didn't deliver considering you aren't the one handing out his aforementioned cheque.

And really, that's the sticking point -- Hayden played Anakin the way he was instructed, but some people didn't like it. I honestly don't think that he's a "bad" actor because of it though.

In one of the behind-the-scenes featurettes, they're going through a scene with Anakin and Padmé. Hayden asks George, "Can we do another take? Please?"

And George replies, "Are you sure? Because that last one was perfect. Well, okay."

What exactly is Hayden supposed to do in that situation? He gave the director exactly what he wanted, which is, at the end of the day, his job. Also note that in the behind-the-scenes footage, Lucas is much more particular in how he wants Anakin portrayed than any of the other characters.

16. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    You're right, of course, if his employer was indeed happy with his work, which I suspect he was. From the point of view of the audience in general, however, the characterization wasn't exactly pleasing. I wouldn't say he was particularly successful at taking command of the screen the way the lead in a feature film should, but your point is well made.

17. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    I don't think we can make any general statements about "the audience in general" though. Anakin is my favorite character in the Saga and, among some of the audience (such as some of the children I know), he's quite popular. He is my younger brother's favorite actor in Star Wars and, funnily enough, the first thing my brother said to me when I told him the news that Episode VII was being made was "I hope Hayden Christensen's in it." I have no doubt that for some audience members, his performance wasn't pleasing but I'd argue that was more of the way that Anakin was written than Hayden's proficiency as an actor.

Moreover, I never saw Anakin's role to be to "take command of the screen" necessarily. Hayden's performance always gave me the impression that Anakin was collapsing in on himself, in many ways, and I very much like the ambience it gives to his scenes.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't think "the audience in general" has a point of view as Star Wars fans are a very diverse group of people with a wide range of viewpoints, and attempts to speak for "the audience in general" just seem to be an effort to marginalize those who don't share the POV in question, even if that isn't the intention.

And I'd say there is a difference between "some people didn't like Anakin's characterization" and "Hayden didn't take command of the screen." In fact, if he didn't "take command of the screen," few would have noticed him at all.

As I said, I don't want him in Episode VII, not because of his skill or lack thereof, but because that phase of Anakin's life ended with ROTS.

19. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012

Oh don't kid yourself. We can certainly make this general statement. Generally speaking, he was pretty much despised from his first scene on.

He was the main character in a series of movies and the story revolved around him. Exactly who was supposed to draw us in? R2?

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    See my point about general statements marginalizing a segment of the audience. And I agree with PiettsHat that we really can't make such statements without the existence of a comprehensive objective poll. Loud voices on the Internet do not comprehensive objective evidence make.

Besides, if you personally did not like Hayden's performance, that's fine--why the need to marginalize a segment if the audience in order to emphasize your point?

21. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Don't kid myself? Did it ever occur to you that your personal experience cannot be generalized to the audience? Where have I said that everyone loved Hayden Christensen's performance? I haven't. But his work did resonate with many people, myself included. He won a number (and was nominated for more) MTV Movie Awards indicating that he was at least popular with some segments of the audience. Now, you could very well state that MTV Movie Awards aren't prestigious (and I'll agree, I don't find them so) but they are basically giant popularity contests. So I hardly see on what basis I am "kidding" myself.

Plus, you misunderstand the thrust of my earlier argument -- I found watching Anakin collapsing in on himself to be very compelling. It drew me into his story very well, much more powerfully than Han Solo's brashness. The same is true for the OT -- I've always found Luke's emotional struggles to be far more satisfying in terms of story than Han Solo's overbearing demeanor.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Most people I know don't "despise" Hayden. Sure, they don't think he's a new Marlon Brando and they might make fun of his lines in AOTC, but overall I haven't heard any complaints about his performance in ROTS (aside from the balcony scene, again, mostly due to the dialogue).

23. Catsmeow

Catsmeow Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    If he is offered a role he would be a fool not to take a role if you ask me.

24. Jedihillis

Jedihillis Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    I agree with the OP. It was one of the first things I thought of when hearing about the new Trilogy.

I also think Hayden gets a bad rap because of how he was in the PT. I've seen him in Shattered Glass and Life as House. With the right writing and directing, he can be a decent actor. I don't think he should play a major role though. But I would be surprised if they just ignored him completely.

I'd also love to see Ghost Yoda and Qui Gon :)

25. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    I want to see Yoda getting stuck between Anakin and Obi-Wan's bickering...for eternity...