main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars or Star Trek???

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Echo-07, Nov 10, 2012.

?

Which franchise is bigger? Which mythos has a bigger impact on our culture?

1. Star Wars

58 vote(s)
    95.1%
  2. Star Trek

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I know this is a Star Wars board but we know both of these franchises:

Which is bigger? Which mythos has a bigger impact on our culture?

2. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    What the hell man. Are you Seriously asking this question?[face_laugh]

Uuummm....... oh...let me think...............STAR WARS.

3. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Yes, because some others on this forum seem to think Star Trek is of equal importance.

I wonder if Disney tried to pull a "Star Trek" style reboot with Sw if fans would like it. Say two Hans and Leias and Lukes because they recast the Big 3 roles and entered an alternate universe.

4. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    They're wrong. Maybe it's my hate for star trek?[face_phbbbbt]

5. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Star Trek has it's place in society, but it's no where as deeply ingrained in our culture as Star Wars.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  6. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
  7. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Yes. Agreed.

I couldn't believe the argument myself. I thought it was a given. But I didn't want to assume anything. I was starting to think I was wrong.

Star Trek has its following. I guess part of my thinking is that it's nowhere near as important as SW. And my argument is that SW fans wouldn't tolerate a Star Trek-style reboot.

The_Hellhammer likes this.
  8. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    You ask this on a Star Wars board?

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  9. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    I think it is as important to the fans that find it to be important to them. Although merchandising and overall box office numbers easily suggest Star Wars as a franchise has a much, MUCH bigger fanbase. I really don't see how even the most die hard Star Trek fan could come up with any kind of facts that would indicate that Star Trek is more popular.

But like I said, to the die hard Star Trek fans, I'm sure they find it just as "important" to oneself... if that makes sense.

As far as pure popularity goes, I think a better question would be... what's more popular or has a bigger fan base... The Marvel Universe or Star Wars... or something like that.

10. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Bigger impact on our culture, SW. As to a reboot, I for one would love to see the Thrawn Trilogy done, but it would have to be with new actors as the big 3 are just too old for it.

11. Death Wizard

Death Wizard Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    Star Wars may be the more popular entertainment but star trek has inspired more people.

12. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I love both franchises, which is why it's great to be a fan of both right now ;). If you are asking which is bigger in terms of volume of content, then Star Trek wins hands down. There are 11 (soon to be 12) movies, 6 TV series, and countless books (even more than Star Wars). Since this is a Star Wars forum, many here are obviously bigger fans of it, but from a purely objective standpoint, it is hard to say which one has a bigger impact on popular culture. There are a lot of iconic things from Star Wars that everyone knows about like 'may the force be with you' 'I am your father' lines, or the imagery of the Millenium Falcon and and the Death Star, the force, lightsabers, etc. but everyone knows how Kirk and Spock are also, and teleportation tech which is synonymous with Trek, and 'live long and prosper' is as much a quoted phrase as its force counterpart, and the name and image of the Enterprise is probably even bigger than that of the Falcon! Also, lucas himself has said that Star Trek was at least a small part of his inspiration for Star Wars. Then again, Roddenberry said that the success of the Star Trek movies can be partly attributed to Star Wars. I would say that their status in pop culture is just about equal.

13. Intervention

Intervention Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2012
    While I think Star Trek has it's place is both sci-fi and culture legend, I hold-hearty believe that Star Wars has had a wider, longer, and more in-depth affect on American and world culture and sci-fi as a whole.

14. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    Two questions there. Biggest franchise is Star Wars by the length if the Kessel run. I would bet that more people have paid to see A New Hope alone than all of the Star Trek films put together.

Impact on the culture. Both have been huge but I'd still put Star Wars ahead.

15. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Star Wars! It's the best sci fi/fantasy franchise ever!

16. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Star Wars.
    But I'm also a Trekkie. I haven't watched a Trek episode in a while, but I still really like it.
    Star Trek fits as a TV show. They show countless different scenarios and a lot of the stories are just life onboard the Enterprise and the relationships the crew has with each other. I've always hated the episodes that are centered around the Holodeck and like Piccard (yes I like TNG better) is all dressed up in a robin hood outfit, etc. It has nothing to do with Trek or space. Trek involves moral values, allusions to real-world problems, etc.

Star Wars, however, does better as flashy, awe-inspiring movies. Trek's "space battles" may be more of a sci-fi like battle and may be more realistic of the future, but it has NOTHING on the epic-level space battles in Star Wars. Trek just has phasers fired from the waist (never mind stormtroopers' horrible accuracy), and they always fire their torpedoes. Star Wars has massive battles, reminiscent of WWII, with tactics, explosions, dogfights, more explosions, and massive armies compiled together on ground and in space.

One thing I never really enjoyed about Star Trek is the whole "utopian" feel of it all. A machine can make food and drinks out of thin air. So when they are caught with no weapons, why can't they have that machine make them a weapon?
    Everything in Star Trek is clean, perfect, and precise. Lots of hard-core science fiction franchises and novels have the atmosphere of utopian, where everyone is very solemn and quiet. It's like there's no fun or exciting things happening. You wouldn't expect an advertisement to pop up, or a flashy, fun entertainment thing to happen.

Whereas Star Wars, especially in the OT, has that "rugged" feeling to society. Maybe that's because everything in the OT was made as models and wasn't really CGI. But you just got this feeling that it was "real", because you could connect with it. Our real world isn't perfect, either.

The Enterprise looks very clean, sharp, smooth, and shiny, like it's never been attacked or went through an asteroid field or something. You look at the Millennium Falcon, or the Tantive IV, or even a Star Destroyer...it looks more real because it seems like it has been through a lot.

I like Star Wars because it comes right out and says that life isn't perfect. There is no utopian society. There's war and death and conflicts and smuggling and crime and drugs and fear and corruption and the list goes on and on...just like today.

And lots of people say Star Wars is just flashy BANG BANG action that follows a really unoriginal story, I guess part of that is right. But they forget about the Force. The Force is what makes Star Wars...well, Star Wars! The Jedi and Sith are followers of it. In fact, they follow it like a religion. They are monks to the "way of the Force".

Episode IV did follow the basic plot of a maiden is peril, and a knight who rescues her. But there was more to it as well.

17. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012

I was impressed by this project

18. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Star Wars is the bigger cultural icon. People just lump them together because of the "Star" part.

19. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I acknowledge that Star Trek is big, and perhaps-in the world of Astrophysics and technological development-it may have had a stronger impact than Star Wars...but as far as overall general popularity and Fanbase, Star Wars Is Way bigger Of a cultural phenomenon!!!

20. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    Star Trek has 5 generations of TV , more films than Star Wars , just as many fan books if not more fan books. And it has a ton of merchandise . I don't know which one in reality is a larger fan base.

21. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    I think Star Wars has a more prominent part in pop culture, though.
    Larger, or louder, fan base?

22. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    So other people said it to you besides me.

And I thought we agreed to disagree. Or was that the other guy?

Either way your still banging on about the Big 3. The Big 3 is Kirk, Spock and McCoy.

Star Wars has the Big 4, dude.

23. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    Never seen a Star Trek toy at the retail stores. Star Wars is carried year round at any wal-mart or kmart I've been in. All the other action figures are trends based on if a movie is coming out... Spiderman, Iron Man, Batman. Otherwise those toys might not be carried at a particular time.

Boxofficemojo says a lot about what is more popular. Just because Star Trek might have more hours of content hardly means it is more popular. All six Star Wars movies rank in the top 49 domestically (I won't even go worldwide because it would probably be worse for Star Trek), with 3 of those movies residing in the top 17 all time. Star Trek has 1 movie in the top 200 and it ranks at #62 and that's the newest movie which wouldn't rank nearly as high in their adjusted gross earnings.

24. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I wouldn't think that just simply the amount of products and productions made should necessarily be considered an accurate representation of the size of the actual Fanbase though...

25. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    Amazing! You guys know your stuff. Thanks for informing me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.