main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.7 - A Test of Strength- discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Probably not until next year.

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Soon, be patient

3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I want to see Satine, as a fan of her I want to see how are they going to kill her.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  4. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    [​IMG]
    "Oh, oh, that's much better. Wait... wait. Oh, my! What have you done? I'm completely removed from my body.
    You flea-bitten furball! Only an overgrown mop-head like you would be stupid enough to..." *click*

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Thanks for the new pic of Gungi

6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    It's probably the same shallow reason Yoda disagreed with Mace over sending reinforcements to help Obi-Wan in his confrontation with Maul.

Mace: The Younglings are in trouble. We need to send a cruiser to reinforce their position.

Yoda: Send reinforcements do not. Sense I do that these younglings are stronger as a team than we give them credit.

*Later it is reported that the ship was lost with all hands killed aboard*

7. codex of tython

codex of tython Jedi Knight

Nov 4, 2012
    I don't get it. In the original clone wars series (2003) Barris Offee has to make her own lightsaber without any "architect" saying how it has to be done. It is not how i expexted it to be.

8. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    2D CW is so awesome.

9. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Huyang was on vacation.:p

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The difference is Barriss was a padawan, somewhere in her early twenties. These are younglings, much below her level. These are their first lightsabers, while Barriss has clearly had her own lightsaber prior to the war. Still, even high level padawans need to reach into their spiritual side, thus Barriss revisiting Ilum. We don't even know if this is a new lightsaber, or just her regular one. She's probably just there to enhance her connection with her blade.

So, basically, simply different trials.

11. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I don't dislike Huyung (weird name for a droid), though they did kind of flaunt him in the episode. I don't get why they'd have a droid help Jedi build their lightsabers. Isn't that what Jedi Masters are for?

12. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I didn't mind the concept of the droid, but I just found it weird that he's revered with great respect while the other droids of a GFFA are generally treated like servants. A droid that holds all this knowledge is all well and good, but I would have figured it would make more sense if he was used as a resource/assistant by a Jedi Master like Yoda rather than revered as a teacher himself.

13. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    So im sure this episode takes place after the previous arc with the Rebels, with Ahsoka's mention about Hondo and her's last meeting. And in that Rebel arc, Hondo's base was not destroyed yet, which means this young jedi arc takes place before "Revival". Also in "Revival" Hondo mentions to Maul and Randy that this wasn't the 1st time he has faced a lightsaber wielding maniac. I'm sure that was a reference to Grievous, who we know is going to show up in the young jedi arc. So basically all the episodes shown to us after "Revival" have all been prequels to that episode.

14. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  15. JediMasterKeno

JediMasterKeno Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 22, 2000
    Uh last time I checked, it wasnt some droid that was involved with the making of lighstabers.

Its either the Wookies that are more involved with the making of lightsaber hilts or the Ithorians or some other alien race.

Not some stupid robot with the voice of some Dr Who actor

Coric likes this.
  16. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I really enjoyed this episode! Story and dialogue-wise, there was nothing wrong IMO. It was fun and enjoyable, and Hondo was entertaining as usual. Although I'm still not a fan of the notion of a lightsaber construction droid, Huyung was an interesting character. Between him and the ancient-looking ship, I was reminded of the Chu'unthor and Djinn Altis' Jedi Order.

There was one thing that didn't feel right about this episode: the construction of the lightsabers. Lightsabers have always been unique to each Jedi, with each part personalized. In this episode, the younglings were building their sabers with the same parts that come in Hasbro construction kits. For me at least, the fact that it's so easy for a Jedi to build a generic lightsaber takes some of the magic away.

rumblewagon likes this.
  17. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Aren't these just their training sabers since they're still younglings? I figured they'd build a more custom lightsaber on their own later on in training.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  18. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    This was a brilliant episode and one of my favorites from the entire series.

+Hondo was brilliant with Ahsoka in this episode
    +Ahsoka was incredible with her strategy
    +The younglings were well-used
    +David Tennant is possibly the best voice actor ever on the show, he was brilliant
    +Huyang was a great character and taking on a Weequay without his head and arms? = SUPREME BADASS
    +The boarding sequence was beautifully animated and reminiscient of ANH
    +The airlock sequence at the end was brilliant and Ahsoka's capture was written in a very interesting fashion
    +Loved the TESB homage with Gungi carrying Huyang
    +Since Harry Potter is my all-time obsession, this is my favorite homage of the series
    +Loved the continuity discussion with Onderon, adds more flow
    +Overall, brilliant episode, brilliant characterization, and Young Jedi is easily becoming one of my favorite arcs ever.

10/10!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SeparatistFan and rumblewagon like this.
  19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Were you and I watching the same episode?. :p

JackG likes this.
  20. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Yes, yes we were, although it did bite her at the end a bit..., but to be honest that would be hard to foresee

21. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    When Ahsoka was telling the padawans what to do it sounded like she had no idea what she was doing and just making up a plan very badly. Was it effective? Partially, but there were so many ways it could have gone wrong, some of which did happen. She made no accounting for the smoke bombs, or how armed the pirates were in general. There was a lot she didn't foresee, frankly.

22. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I really liked this episode. I'm glad because its about time I really liked another one since I have my reputation as little Ms. Sunshine to keep up. This episode just hit everything right.

It filled in the mythos, it had some suspense, and had some of the best humor in all of TCW. I genuinely laughed at alot of the episode. Yes the Home Alone antics were funny but It had some very well place random humor like Zat having to knock the knocked out pirate's foot out of the way of the door. There is some great attention to detail in this one and it had great pacing. The perfect amount of time was spent on talking about lightsabers and building them where I was so engaged by that whole sequence I wanted more. Then on the pirate attack on the ship with the kids trying to evade them only to get smoked out like little space bunnies. Ahsoka's plan to get rid of the pirates and return to rescue the Younglings was well played, and the battle at the end was awesome.

All of the characters from the Pirates who were kinda bumbling yet scary. To Hondo the man with a plan who is seriously badass to stand up to Ahsoka like that, boy Pre Vizsla needs to get in line for lessons from this guy. Ahsoka displayed both maturity and a little bit of her smartass nature here. This episode did wonders to warm me up to the kids and the subtle little relationships between them. I think Zat has over taken the very cute Gungi as my favorite as I have a soft spot for little brainiac computer geek gear heads like that. Byph didn't do much but act scared but someone had to do it. I even like Petro's role in this one although yes QuangoFett I still think he needs to get his insolent little ass beat red. He seriously put everyone at risk and it paid off for him which is a really bad moral lesson for the kids in the audience. He's also a bit of a bully so atleast it appears Petro has no friends. Genodi and Katooni kinda have a Pink and Yellow ranger vibe going on that's kinda cool.

More thoughts: Its cool how the Younglings are portrayed as learners and are resorting to pure creativity since they can't defend themselves with the force or lightsabers yet. Lightsaber droid got tore up! I like him. The ship grappling hooks were awesome, they reminded me of the old anime Outlaw Star and so did the space suit designs. This episode actually enhances Lightsaber Lost and explains some things with what was going on there. How did Ahsoka and Hondo not get sucked out? Ashoka clearly has no problem hurting Hondo's subordinates. Her moral high ground is more hypocritical than mine. And did we seriously need that shot of Ahsoka's ass right in the camera in the stupid ventilation shaft? I think I'm going to give this episode a 9 just for making me see that.

Best line of the episode: "Here kiddy, kiddy..."

There is hope for this arc yet, hope this is the start of a winning streak.

rumblewagon likes this.
  23. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Didn't like it as much as last week. Felt predictable but still very enjoyable.

Animation didnt look as spectacular for some reason.

The droid was awesome, reminded me of HK-47 a bit, as well as Wreck-Gar or somebody from the original TF movie. :D

Few gripes:

(1) the pirates smoke out the kids but aren't affected by the smoke, or

(2) being tossed out into space,

(3) they get Petrol to blow up his saber and even show the crystal remaining, but the Gamorrean-esque bad guy is just stunned?

KenobiSkywalker and Seerow like this.
  24. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
  25. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Ahsoka survived the vacuum of space? [face_sigh]

Coric likes this.