main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars or Star Trek???

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Echo-07, Nov 10, 2012.

?

Which franchise is bigger? Which mythos has a bigger impact on our culture?

1. Star Wars

58 vote(s)
    95.1%
  2. Star Trek

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    Actually, is the fact that both franchises have two words in the title and one of them is 'star' really the reason why both are compared to each other.

Because other than the title and the whole outer space thing, they have zero in common.

Some rugby type (sticky out ears, no neck type) once asked me the difference between the two. I tried to explain it was everything but words of more than one syllable upset him.

I gave him a banana.

2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Ag
    Agreed.

...I suppose I could've just "liked" this one... I'm still getting used to that! ;)

3. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Plus I don't think either a Trek or Wars forum is going to get an accurate or honest result.

You'd need some boffins and clipboards.

And one of those computer things.

4. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Darksideeyesplease posted this info last night:

Star Trek has more movies and TV shows and probably more merch since they existed since the 60's. Yet, it isn't nearly as financially successful as SW or as important. NOT saying that alot of people don't think it's important to them.

Two points to be made in this discussion:

First, my argument is that SW as a MYTHOLOGY -- and Carl Jung, Joseph Campbell, and George Lucas would support me in this -- has become ingrained in our collective psyche; integrated into our culture, even worldwide. Its a phenomenon. Star Trek simply is not.

Second, Star Trek, as someone mentioned, is more geared toward "hard science." I am a fan of science. I study quantum mechanics, astro-physics and string theory on my own; reading books and watching documentaries etc... I can safely say that it appeals to a much smaller population. NOT a phenomenon. I used to watch some of the Star Trek movies and some of the shows (haven't seen them all) but it just couldn't hold my interest.

Someone in another thread tried to argue that Star Trek is just as big and it simply is NOT.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  5. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Star Trek has more films...sure, but more tickets have been sold in all of Star Wars films combined even though there are fewer to attend.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  6. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah I still have no idea who this supposed 4th is . . . LOL

7. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Trek: Live long and prosper
    Wars: May the Force be with you
    T: Beam me up
    W: Hyperspace
    T: Vulcan mind meld
    W: Jedi mind trick
    T: Enterprise
    W: Falcon
    T: ?
    W: Death Star +1
    T: That hand thing +.5
    W: Mind trick looks too much like a wave
    T: ?
    W: Lightsabers
    W: EWOKS

I still say Star Wars is more prominent in the pop culture and public conciousness

8. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Was that a US Census question? How in the world would anybody know this for a fact?

Star Wars has a bigger impact on pop culture. I didn't see any Family Guy or Robot Chicken Star Trek specials.

JainaSoloYJK and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  9. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    This is why you'd need boffins ;)

10. Watcher07

Watcher07 Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2012
    I love both Star Wars & Star Trek & I see no problem in that at all. You could enjoy the sense of adventures & the various alien landscape in Star Wars & also enjoy the philosophical discussions & the idealism of the Federation in Star Trek.

11. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Or vice versa.
    I am very interested in the idealism of the Republic, as well as some weird Trek stuff like Pon Farr.

12. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    How Star Trek has Changed the world

If we go off of this and take it seriously then Star Trek has done far more important things for us as a species than a space fantasy film series named Star Wars has. I Love both and I agree that there is more merchandise for Star Wars but how many Star Wars fans actually like and watch Star Trek? Maybe more than some people imagine.

ThatWanFromStewjon likes this.
  13. Mehmeh

Mehmeh Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
  14. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Star Trek for social, yes.
    I see more attention nowadays about the fact that blacks and Asians had roles in Star Trek than stuff actually about the content.

ThatWanFromStewjon likes this.
  15. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    What was the old "Strategic Defense Initiative" (remember that?), nicknamed by the media - then everyone else? Srar Wars,of course....

16. Mehmeh

Mehmeh Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    It was a pretty big deal to hire people that didn't fit (look like) the average audience back in those days. Gene and Lucas have similar outlooks. FTE

17. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    I still think that people are still talking about actual events in Star Wars, instead of just praising how a black guy played Lando over and over again. It seems to me that Star Trek's actual content isn't being brought up anymore. Then again, is Star Trek even still producting content?

18. Uncle Owen

Uncle Owen Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 1999
    I enjoy both franchises but Star Wars has had a bigger impact on pop culture and filmmaking.

19. Mehmeh

Mehmeh Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    Respectfully...I wasn't talking about content or ethnic races being added to movies. Just cultural changes since the start of Scifi..ish vids. ****..what was this post about anyway? I wish this forum allowed cursing.

20. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    I'm sorry dude is this aimed at me???

21. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    No, not you.

22. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    You ask this question on a Star Wars message board...in the Episode 7 section...o_O

Google it.
    'Star Wars' = 480,000,000 hits.
    'Star Trek' =152,000,000 hits.

Besides, one might argue that Star Wars kept Star Trek from dying. Notice that 'The Motion Picture' was not made until after ANH. ILM did the effects for Khan through Generations at least, plus at least one TV show.

And...you hear a Star Wars reference every other day. People are hardly even saying 'Beam me up, Scotty' any more, but they ARE saying 'may the Force be with you...they still have Star Wars t-shirts availible in retail stores, while you have to go online to find Star Trek t-shirts.

It's no contest. Star Wars wins. Period. :p

23. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Star Wars by far!

24. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    I believe it was Regan that named it - maybe one of his guts but it is credited to Regan - not the media.

Or at least that is what I was told. If it wasn't Regan let me know. Always happy to learn new stuff.

25. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    What do you mean? Aiming what?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.