main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Will Captain Rex make it to the finale or will he die in season 5?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Thanks for the help, guys.

Pretty sure 2 threads about Rex isn't the end of the world.

8,090 threads about Ahsoka is a little different.

2. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Maybe you should do something about that then. You guys can lock threads you know.

Coric likes this.
  3. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    Just pointing out a growing problem.

-From your friendly neighborhood cynical lurking Coric

4. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    i think rex will die through the hands of darrth sidious.

that would be awesome if he can manage to take away all friends and comrades anakin has, to pull him easier to the darkside. replacing rex the loyal captain, with a "specialy trained" commander appo makes sense for season 5.

I think what ever happens to ahsoka and rex, will happen at the same time or shortly after.

[​IMG]

"8090? It seems i need a little pay rise..."

5. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I really hope he dies this season! It will be the best thing that has happened on this show since S2. HAAZZAA for Rex's death!

And let's face it, even those who love the character would love him even more if he goes out like a total bad*** and be memorable.

Maybe a Hevy times 10...

Super_Battle_Droid likes this.
  6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    He will make it to the finale.

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    This x100

8. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    The opposite actually, I might punch my TV if they just throw Rex away in season 5 no matter how badass it looks. Rex has a very defined character arc based around what it means to be a clone trooper, clone independence, and how he might cope with something like Order 66. Rex may never make it that far depending on where the show ends. He deserves a meaningful bookend that perhaps advances any TCW plots that move past his fateful event.

QuangoFett likes this.
  9. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    I wouldn't appreciate that. If Rex was just a redshirt known for being "badass", that would be the case. However, his fans like him for similar reasons to why Anakin fans like Anakin, why Obi-Wan fans like Obi-Wan and so on. I don't know if LFA consider him to be a major character, but he has been written as one, complete with depth and nuance. Rex is not comparable to Keeli, Hevy, Sev, Fordo or any other "badass" clone character as far as his role in the story goes.

Seerow likes this.
  10. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Rex is in a league of his own in my opinion. Yeah he's a total badass and I love him for that but there is so much more behind those sad brown eyes. Which for some reason Onderon decided to dump Rex's usual expression of late which is somewhere between stoic and sad. He smiled way to much in that arc and as horrible as it sounds I hated that. That small lapse in character makes me more edgy about Rex's future in season 5 and a lame ending for the guy.

Darth Vader likes this.
  11. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Rex was too happy, therefore they are either going to kill him or his character has been derailed.

Wait, what?

12. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe Walking Dead scripting will apply and just as he has become more than just a clone out of the factory, they will kill him off for having a character.

TCW tends to leave out, forget and kill off all the awesome/memorable characters - do not forget that.
    Same happened to the Queen of Zygerria, Echo, Osi Sobeck, 99 and many, many more.

I am not a fan of Rex so I would not be devastated when he kicks the bucket.

stoic and sad!?

How about "I am just here and I do not care about this arc" face. That was the one he had on Onderon.

And there is always the other option for those who do not want Rexy boy to die:

He will live through Order 66, help out Ahsoka and Lux get off Coruscant and then escape with them in the sunset.

13. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Dude, not comparable. Miraj and Sobeck were one-arc villains. 99 was a one-arc supporting character. Echo, while prominent and developed over a long period of time, was not as much of a major character as Rex is. Also, Echo's death was well done, a conclusion to his story arc up to that point.

Rex got almost as much characterisation as Obi-Wan did in S4 and probably more than Anakin. He's hardly a minor character.

OOC is serious business. :p

However, Rex didn't get much characterisation in the Onderon arc so whatever facial expressions he had were close to irrelevant. His "happiness" could be overread into as a sign that the writers don't care about his fate, but that's unlikely. It could just be that he was amused at the rebelscum for failing to follow simple instructions.

14. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, for those of us who kinda do not care for Rex and were really annoyed with the overdoing of clones on Umbara - it is totally comparable. I actually sympathize more with the poor Zygerrian Queen or Sobeck than Rexy.
    I am one of those people who cheered every time a clone got vaporized or squished by the Umbarans so I think I am kinda non-biased when it comes to clones.

I agree, Rex got more development than Anakin cause Anakin's character can go anywhere as it is. And I am not saying he is minor character - even the big characters bite the dust. Which I actually hope happens to Rex and not Fives. I like Fives a lot.

On a side note: To be fair, we all thought Lux was gonna be a one-arc supporting character too and look what is happening with him.

15. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I certainly wouldn't mind if he was killed off. :p

16. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    When did Lux die Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan? Last I checked he was getting shipped off to the republic senate. I always figured Lux was going to be a reoccurring character when he appeared in HoBS. I'm sure I'm on record here somewhere posting Lux would become a player in Ahsoka's character development. He's been back twice since. I do suspect Lux may be getting Put on a Bus at this point since he has fulfilled his role in Ahsoka's character arc. I'm actually kinda pissed off about that (Sorry Ahsoka, Lux can do way better than you. I'm more concerned about what else they could do with him). Unfortunately there is a big possibility Fives could go the same way since I think he's a supporting character to Rex's character arc although we've been told Fives will gain major character status this season. Rex almost seems to have a psuedo-paternal relationship with Fives. In my personal canon ARC Troopers comes before The Deserter. Characters as big as Rex have not actually bit the dust. Rex is not as major as say Ahsoka or probably Ventress but he is a notch above characters like Miraj, Sobeck, Satine, Savage and yes for now Fives. I'm a fan for Rex the same as anybody would be a fan of their favorite characters and have concern for their ultimate fates. It really sucks when well developed characters get thrown away and don't go anywhere.

QuangoFett, Rex was complimenting the rebels the entire way actually.

17. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    I never said that Lux died. I said that he is still going to be part of Ahsoka's life.

Fives feels like Rex is his big brother/father figure.

Good points. And I completely understand you about

I know what it is.

Time will tell.

18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Even more special since Rex is now the only guy with anything close to major character status who could die or have something fate resolving happen. In a way Filoni did a terrible disservice by saying "That very last thing with Ahsoka."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.