main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I really enjoyed today's episode. Really had that Star Wars feel - that the galaxy had a history, that touch of mystiscism, without being too overtly magical, in the beginning, and a very nice sense of adventure. Very cool.

One thing I thought was a very nice touch was the variety of weapons the pirates were using - droid blasters, Zagarian blasters, republic commando blasters, and a whole lot of melee weapons - looked to be the same kind of weapons the nightbrothers used.

Apparently, they just don't make droids like they used to.

I liked seeing the flying saucer ship in action, and having space suit pirates guide the docking procedure was a nice touch.

Though I have two small problems-
    1. Complaining about almost killing someone when you are planning to launch them into the vacuum of space seem hypocritical.
    2. If lightsaber crystals are worth so much, why can't he take them from the lightsabers of the jedi and sith he has captured before. Or sell the lightsabers themselves - unless the crystals can be used for other purposes, then surely the whole lgihtsaber is worth more than crystal alone.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    re: #2 - we just have to say that "kyber" crystals from Ilum (that is, the ones that respond to the Force or whatnot) must be more valuable than Adegan crystals OR that these crystals are only valuable before they've been Forcified and used in lightsabers.

The former seems more practicable than the latter.

That all went over my head. :(

Still don't like the idea of a droid professor teaching people how to build lightsabers. What happened to reading books?!

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Is it just me, or did they try a little too hard to make the whole lightsaber aspect of the episode a bit too much like Harry Potter? The whole initial scene with the Professor was just like the wand shop part of the first Harry Potter movie.

I did like the usage of the TOR era Jedi/Republic symbol. Added to the ancient vibe of the vessel.

--Adm. Nick

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I noticed that too. You have to give the design team credit, they use so much established imagery in this show that barely even gets seen, just because they care. Like the continual and correct use of Aurebesh.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Don't some of the clones have them too, in prior episodes?

There were some interesting symbols on the Ilum chamber floor in the previous episodes, as well. Could've sworn that one of them was the TotJ era Sith symbol...

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    On continuity: I have been waiting for fifteen years to see an improperly-assembled lightsaber explode. Thank you, TCW. ^:)^

Cronal, Darth_SHOT, Zorrixor and 3 others like this.
  7. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Mfw I don't follow Dr. Who nor HP and could care less. [face_laugh]

All I want is to know the astrographical locations of Rash-fond and Parlioc. ;)

8. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Hasn't that only been brought up in Shadows of the Empire? If so, very cool continuity nod, even if it was likely not a continuity nod at all and merely a coincidence :p

Then again, Filoni does read the EU, and while the last time I can remember him actually referencing something was in season one (with Mace's shatterpoint and Ahsoka pulling a Thrawn maneuver), you never know...

9. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

so I was not alone there ;) =D=

the YJK references were what I really enjoyed... the Younglings mirror even the YJK makeup... a wookiee, a techfreak, a showoff lightsaberjunkie, a fearful jerk, etc.

great episode and Tennant rules.. his droid is brilliant. I hope he stays for more episodes.. and gets a cameo in the Sequels.

Darth_SHOT likes this.
  10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Precisely. It's like leaving Chekhov's gun on the mantle for a decade and a half.

11. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Good episode, even continuitywise. We finally see lightsabers assembled with the force on the show, quelling an earlier fear that the robot simply builds the sabers for the younglings. I also enjoyed Tennantbot, and I'm sure David really loved finally participating in something SW related, given that he is supposedly a huge fan.

Most amusingly, Wookie Jedi are noted as being "quite rare".

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I rather liked that little nod.

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I've been waiting 35 years for someone to bounce too close to a supernova.

14. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    I think I even saw one of the pirates carrying a DL-44 (or a knockoff thereof) during the boarding scene. Is that a first for the show?

15. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Well, that would end your plot real quick, wouldn't it?

Zorrixor and Darth_SHOT like this.
  16. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Well, no one in the GFFA can read.

17. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Been really enjoying this episode and the last one for the whole mysticism of the Jedi approach. Tenant droid was awesome and glad how they had him teach the younglings on how to build a lightsaber. Was very nice, especially since I was worried he would build it for them. Instead, he just served as a walking talking guide manual on lightsaber construction. Sure, there is reading a book but there is something to be said with an actual presence helping you in a task. Might have seemed a bit Harry Potter-ish with the hilt selection but we already know that Jedi can build their hilts from a wide variety of sources. When Tenant Droid (forgot the characters name :p) mentioned using the tooth of some animal, I immediately thought about Tenel Ka's Rancor tooth lightsaber hilt. So, all in all, was quite nice to see an exploration of the Jedi way.

Though the ending makes me think the whole training aspect will be cut short and I really wanted to see more :(

18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It's not 10-ENT?

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    They aren't all made of phrik? :confused:

Don't the other ones melt?

20. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Random thought: I'm a bit disappointed that Maul didn't make any of the obvious parallels to Qui-Gon when Obi-Wan had to fight Maul and Savage. I even believe he said something like, "do you really think you can beat us both?". Probably would have been a good idea to push Obi-Wan's rage buttons a bit by bringing up the time where he fought both him and his dead master.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    There's a suggestion that the lightsaber construction scene was inspired in part by the Build A Lightsaber bit at the Star Trader at Disney. Amusing, if so, because that would mean I once played the role of that droid. :p

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  22. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    More than suggestion: it's outright stated in the trivia slideshow.

Also, the commentary is definitely worth watching this week. Nice to hear that all the creators, including Lucas, are fond of Hondo.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I can never decide how I feel about Hondo. Sometimes I feel like I like him, and sometimes I feel like I should hate myself for liking him. :p

24. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    He's the character you hate to love.

I love the fact that a machine is the one to teach Jedi how to build their lightsabers. It highlights the ever-present tension between technology and self-reliance that has been a part of Star Wars since the beginning. The movies make it a point to constantly portray the triumph of the human spirit over soulless machinery, but they never say that technology is totally worthless--after all, the weapon of a Jedi Knight is in fact an incredibly advanced piece of technology. However, there is a living crystal at the heart of the lightsaber. As long as it is not allowed to completely overtake the spark of life in the one who makes use of it (Darth Vader, General Grievous, etc.) , technology can be a perfectly good and even benevolent thing. Even when Luke loses Artoo and turns off his targeting computer, he's still making use of technology to fly through the trench and fire those proton torpedoes. It's okay to rely on technology for some things, you just shouldn't always rely on it for things which you can, with some effort, accomplish without it.

The same principles apply to droids. R2-D2 and C-3PO are both machines, but they are far from soulless, and that is what makes them heroes. Outwardly, Professor Huyang is also just a machine--but because of what is inside of him, he is actually something much more special. He's basically a walking, talking metaphor for the way in which Jedi relate to their lightsabers.

25. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Don't be a tiny minded Imperial twit:p

Not much point in being a proud enforcer of the Empire without some worthy enemies.

Still...still makes the jedi seem like jerks for not recognizing droids, at least some of them, as sentient beings. I am surprised R2 wasn't plotting some kind of revenge on Obi-Wan after being called a dime a dozen. I mean, we all know R2 is a stone cold mass murder who once electrocuted an Ewok just to watch him die, how could R2 let that go?