main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What would you do if you wrote it?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by stellarmagic01, Nov 7, 2012.

1. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Okay, imagine... you've been tasked by Lucasfilm and Disney to write the three films of the sequel trilogy? In the production meetings you're bombarded by ideas and information from people like Leland Chee and Pablo Hidalgo while George Lucas hands out story treatments and Lucasfilm and Disney keep talk about appealing to the General Audience.

Here we can post your film concepts for the saga and why you chose them, explain deviations from or adoptions of EU material, and so forth. I might as start this...

STAR WARS
    Episode VII:
    A New Dawn
    It is a period of rebirth. Twenty years have passed since the Emperor's Fall at the Battle of Endor. A NEW GALACTIC REPUBLIC has risen in it's place.
    Luke Skywalker has worked ceaselessly to rebuild the Jedi Order, finding and training new allies from all walks of life. A growing schism threatens the new order however as conflict over the tenants of being a Jedi emerge amongst the group.
    Meanwhile, a crisis in the Outer Rim system of Mandalore over state rights forces Chief of State Leia Organa Solo to plead for assistance from the Jedi Order...
    A story like this would work, I strove to strike a balance between EU elements and ignoring some. Setting it 20 years after Endor puts the Solo twins at 15 if you use them, the ideal age for a coming of age tale. While it's not mentioned directly, the crisis among the Jedi could be based around the same question that has plagued us since Lucas gave the Jedi do not marry message. Luke could be the lynchpin of the crisis as well since if you want to pull out EU elements for conflict... using Mara Jade Skywalker as a spark for division would be interesting.​
    Other EU elements like Mandalore and the ongoing conflict between their warrior past and the New Mandalorians could be used to paint the background for a movement to leave the Republic on Mandalore. Using Jedi to negotiate the end of the crisis could set the whole thing aflame and be a spark to ignite the main external conflict for the entire trilogy.​
    Well thats my idea, how about yours?​

Echo-07 likes this.
  2. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    1. Keep it simple and straightforward.
    2. Finally push SW writing above the level of old movie serials (as TCW has been trying).
    3. Focus on delivering an emotionally satisfying story.

I think the story itself is obvious in concept, they just need to translate that it into a solid script. It's a no-brainer.

yodasbum likes this.
  3. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    First, this is based on the idea of the BIG 3 coming back:

* Han is a General (per ROTJ). Although he's not supposed to be on the frontlines, he reluctantly is. He is (of course) married to Leia and they have the EU kids (however many that was I don't recall.) This brings up conflict because he is never around when the family needs him etc... Also, I mentioned in other threads that I would like to see the Mandalorians wreak havoc in the next trilogy, so Han and Chewie and Wedge are battling them somewhere.

* Leia is either a very high ranking Senator or maybe even Supreme Chancellor. Like Han she is very busy and never around for the family. She is contsantly trying to rebuild the Republic because there are still many alien races that supported the Empire. Lando is perhaps a Senator from Bespin or maybe some other high ranking official.

* Luke is rebuilding the Jedi Order of course. He has re-established the temple on Coruscant and has gone through the Jedi archives (what's left of them) in order to rebuild the order. He is the guardian of the Solo kids since their parents are in different directions. Luke is also single (no kids no Mara Jade). The splintered family is one form of conflict.

* The Solo kids are all strong with the Force and training with Uncle Luke to become Jedi. This puts an enormous strain on Luke to be their surrogate parents (per Jedi tradition) but is unnatural since the traditions have been lost and/or obscured. They are trained later in life when they are late teens early adults. The kids have a lot of anger toward their absentee parents etc...

Plot: Leia & Galactic Senate have to ask for Jedi intervention in the Manadlorian Wars. Luke is hesitant because the Order is green and not fully trained etc... They go to the battlefront where Han and Chewie are just in time to see the evil, vicious Mandalorians destroy Han and Chewie. etc...

You know, without writing a 50 page treatment, this is the line of thinking that I have in regards to the new trilogy.

Chrono85 likes this.
  4. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Hah, well we all have our ideas for how it should be, but most of us are probably not good writers :) Here are some major points that I would put in though:

Time frame: 30'ish years after Jedi

Political environment: New Republic is still rebuilding, and politicians are working to re-integrate the old member planets, but there are schizms. There are also still rogue imperial fleets that act more as pirates now, terrorizing smaller worlds and attacking trade vessels. The Empire still exists, but has been dramatically reduced in size.

Characters:
    Luke Skywalker has spent the last decades rebuilding the Jedi Order, and has trained other Jedi Knights, who now have their own padawans, at a Jedi Academy. Luke Luke never got married or had kids, because he devoted all of his time to saving the Jedis from extinction, and to furthering his mastery of the force. Luke is also now crazily powerful with the force. Luke also has done away with some of the Jedi rules, like the over suppression of emotion, and ban on romantic relationships, since that is what contributed to the downfall of the old order. The Jedi Order does is completely divorced from the politics of the New Republic.

Leia now holds a powerful and respected position in Republic politics, in working to rebuild the Republic.

Han is a general, who spends most of his time hunting down rogue Imperials with Chewie and the Falcon

Lando is also a powerful politician.

R2D2 and C3PO are still either hanging out with Luke, or with the Solo family

New Characters :
    Han and Leia have children but I would not make them twins, because I think that it would be too cheesey, especially if it were a boy and girl pair again.
    At least one is studying at the Jedi Academy. I would also make the main protagonist female, and Maybe one of the children will become evil.

Echo-07 likes this.
  5. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    LOL I liked this because it's almost exactly what I said. Great minds I guess . . . :p

6. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    STAR WARS
    Episode VII:
    The Next Jedi
    The Galactic Empire has fallen and a New Galactic Republic has risen from the ashes. A new order of Jedi Knights, lead by LUKE SKYWALKER emerge alongside them.
    Discontent simmers as the old wounds from the Empire and Clone Wars fester. A group of renegades, revolutionaries, and separatists has banded together to overthrow the New Republic and escape the influence of the greater galaxy.
    Fearing Jedi intervention a plot is hatched to strike against the most vulnerable part of the New Jedi Order and their Allies, their children...
    Setting: ~30 years after Endor.​
    Galactic Politics: The New Republic is still being rebuilt. Some worlds that overthrew the Empire without Rebel assistance have large nationalistic and independence movements. The most vocal of which is the Mandalorians which have suffered gravely under both the Old Republic and Galactic Empire.​
    Plot: Ben Skywalker and a number of other young Jedi are held hostage in the Jedi Temple while separatist fanatics demand that their home governments succeed from the Galactic Republic. While the older Order struggles to contain the crisis, the youths within the temple find ways to strike back.​

7. swarm87

swarm87 Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2012
    set it after the current books series.

have the lost tribe of sith invade ossus, kill luke, remaining jedi flee into imperial space, the sword of the jedi(jaina solo fel) shows up with force sensitive stormtroopers (precoursers to the imperal knights) kills them all, ben takes over the order

probably would work better as a trilogy but whatever. also would work on a TV series following the 12 jedi sent to retrieve the mortis dagger.

this is the broad strokes of how luke would die: he and ben are evacuating apprentices in the shadow, a large wave of sith are heading for them luke shoves ben in the ship and locks the hatch from the outside(with the force) to hold off the sith giving the ship time to escape, after the shadow is clear he "pulls an obi-wan".

8. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I would hope that there was an entire forum dedicated as a place for fans to write their own version and let others read it.

Except there is:

FAN FICTION

Jedi_Lover, tom, LawJedi and 2 others like this.
  9. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    My Little Pony/Harry Potter/Alvin and the Chipmunks crossover

10. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
  11. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Are you sure? If I was in charge of the next movie, I can do anything I want!
    It's a STAR wars movie because Alvin, Rainbowdash and Harry are all STARS.

12. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I would have Leia as the leader of the new Republic with her eyes on the Empire, who are about to join the Republic after the election of their own Chancellor and a rep for the new Galatic Senate. I would have it that everything seems all peaceful with everyone until maybe the Imperial rep is murdered by new Rebels who are against the Empire joining the new Republic. The Empire then backs off of making nice and declares civil war on the new Republic, also taking the chance to accuse the Jedi of being behind the murder. I would then use this to put the Jedi at odds with the Republic and maybe also put Luke and Leia at odds with each other as the purpose of the Jedi to the Republic in this era comes into question. I would have Leia and Han's children apart of the new Rebellion, who also have to question who's side are they personally on. I would have the leader of the Empire to be revealed a young clone of Palpatine, taking that bit from the EU. I think making the new episode political would make sense given it's supposedly 35 years later after the fall of the Empire.

13. LilZua

LilZua Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2012
    I would throw out all the prequels and re-do them.. Vader would turn in one, then two and three would be him being a BAMF... Make billions and then sell it BACK to Lucas for twice as much as I paid for it... MATHS!!!

14. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    This, more or less.

15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Episode 7:
    Setting:
    Some years after ROTJ.
    Han dies in opening sequence of film
    Leia is heartbroken and struggles as a single mother while also serving on the republic executive council.
    Anakin is heard by Luke and warns of continuing unbalance in the force.
    Empire has sued for peace with the republic in exchange for abolition of Imperial throne and restoration of republic senate.
    Alliance starts to fragment as some allies return to their own business, thinking the war won, while others begin infighting over old grudges suppressed during imperial rule.
    A massive new threat, previously known only by a few, including Emperor Palpatine, invades from the outer reaches of the galaxy.
    Old Empire and Luke Skywalker forge an unlikely alliance to counter new threat.
    Leader of Old Empire holds secret to Luke's parentage and black mails Luke into cooperation. Leader of Old Empire also "leaks" some info or lets it be found by certain people in the republic.

Some of these certain leaders of New Republic seek and find out new revelations about the Skywalker family: Luke's father was the war criminal Darth Vader. One of the members of the republic council, Leia, is Vader's daughter.

Luke and Leia are captured by New Republic forces(on seperate missions) and appear before a tribunal for conspiracy against the galaxy.

To be continued...

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    About 200 years post ROTJ.

All new characters, some descendants of the Skywalkers and Solos. We see the new Jedi Order, the one that Luke started post ROTJ, in full swing.

Borrowing Shane's idea of a massive new threat from the outer reaches of the galaxy. An elder member of the new Order is the first to sense the disturbance in the Force, has to convince the others. Eventually Luke's Force ghost makes an appearance.

That's all I have at the moment; my ideas aren't as fleshed out as some of yours. :p

17. Moog

Moog Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2003
    What would I do if I wrote it? I'd probably write something I thought was awesome and revolutionary and fan-pleasing but end up with a complete mess. I'll leave it to the pros I think...

18. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I'd probably keep it short, sweet and simple by having a battle of Ewoks vs. Rancors.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  19. Johnny Sparks

Johnny Sparks Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2012
    Setting: 30 years after Return of the Jedi in a galaxy that has still not recovered from the Galactic Civil War; the death of the Emperor at the Battle of Endor was simply the beginning of the restoration of the Galactic Republic. The Galaxy is still a fractured, barbaric place due to everyone's reluctance and fear of joining a republic founded by the offspring of Darth Vader.

Heroes: The original cast should be there as supporting roles, but we need a new central character who we can follow on a journey in this latest glimpse into a galaxy far, far away. A young person who can travel through this post ROTJ galaxy and learn about it with us as they go along. I think the whole 'this is Anakin's story' thing should be dropped. The Prequel Trilogy was Anakin's story, the Original Trilogy Luke's, the Sequel Trilogy should belong to another, new character. Be he or she a Skywalker or not.

Villains: The only individual that has been a consistent, potent and definitive character from all six films so far has been Palpatine and while I've never got anything out of the cloning or resurrection of the Emperor, he should still be the driving antagonistic force in the new trilogy. How? Maybe his plans extended beyond his death? But then again, I doubt that as he was selfish and power-hungry and doubt he would have factored dying into any such plans. More dramatically (and borrowing from the Dark Empire comics somewhat,) perhaps he could exist as a storm of energy, a maelstrom in space ravaging worlds, turning all it touches into slaves of the darkside and worshipers of this entity. And, tying this back to our main character, perhaps he/she is bought to the attention of the Skywalkers as having survived this storm unharmed during his 'hero's journey'

The Plot (Well, part of it): So, perhaps a refugee, from one of the many star systems tearing itself apart amidst the barbarism, flees his/her war-ravaged world. The convoy his ship is with is consumed by this maelstrom in space. The turbulance is enough to destroy most of the ships. Though our hero escapes in a small fighter, a black miasma (from which the storm seems to consist) penetrates his ship and seemingly consumes him. But he resists it!

He goes on an journey; he meets the Skywalkers; they meet the threat of worlds unified under the influence of the Maelstrom, (worlds that work together to attack what the Skywalkers call the 'New Republic,') and; our hero is the one who can banishes the influence of the Dark Side from these worlds.

But meanwhile the Maelstrom continues to tear through space, seeking out new worlds to poison with its darkness...

EDIT: Just a note to say spelling mistakes and errors in grammar are due to me getting over-excited and writing this in ten minutes without stopping or thinking. And those errors are staying put!

20. ender2k

ender2k Jedi Master star 1

Sep 22, 2004
    I kind of think the most logical conflict that isn't just a "New Republic vs. imperial remnants while Luke trains new Jedi" thing is one of the role of the growing Jedi Order in the New Republic 30-40 years after RotJ. This lets them effectively split the Jedi into opposing camps -- those who believe the Order should be allies but separate and those who believe it should be integrated with the Republic government --without having to immediately resort to "and he stumbled upon a Sith artifact/temple/ghost that corrupted him" nonsense. It's after a feeling of futility sets in that you start making shady alliances and delving into things better left alone, compromising your ideals for the sake of proving you were "right" through victory on the battlefied.

Another plot point I think would be interesting is to have the leaders from both sides tumbling down the dark path, but to have only one faction's leader initially painted as the "bad guy." His friends and allies abandon him, but it's, let's say, Luke who rescues the poor soul from a total fall. Luke becomes a "bad guy" for aiding an enemy of the Republic and the it's the Republic with its Jedi allies that really begin compromising their ideals in pursuit of Luke and his young partner (sort of mirroring the Empire's hunt for Luke in TESB). Luke dies a la Yoda. Now the young Jedi returns, exposes the darkness within the Republic ranks, rallies Jedi to his side, and defeats it before the New Republic transforms into another empire.

Obviously with the help of a host of other characters ... smugglers, loveable droids, ewoks, etc. :p

21. swarm87

swarm87 Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2012
    how do people know that darth vader is luke and leia's father?

Echo-07 likes this.
  22. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Good point! It will be interesting to see if this has any impact going forward.

Does someone in the Senate know the Skywalker secret? Does Luke admit that the most vile villain the Republic has seen was a Skywalker?

Lots of questions and potential for conflict there.

23. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    That would be quite a scandal during the election season.
    Add to that blurry pics of Leia kissing Luke in the Hoth medical center... yeah, that'd be a bit hard to explain all away.

Echo-07 likes this.
  24. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    [face_laugh]

Yes, but does anyone know Leia is a Skywalker???? Hmmmm . . .

25. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Plots within plots within plots! ...plotting!

I'd say we're looking at a Coruscantgate...