main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars or Star Trek???

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Echo-07, Nov 10, 2012.

?

Which franchise is bigger? Which mythos has a bigger impact on our culture?

1. Star Wars

58 vote(s)
    95.1%
  2. Star Trek

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Lando is the epitome of a supporting character.

In ESB he has very little screen time. Hell, he's not even in it until it's over half over.

In RotJ, he gets just slightly more screen time than Admiral Ackbar due to his cameo appearance in Jaba's palace and his presence at the Sarlacc pit. Other than that he's no where near the big 3 through the rest of the film... just plays an important supporting role to show the progress of the space battle.

2. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    How is it wrong?

Lando is pivotal character with just as much screentime in TESB as Solo has in ANH.

Screentime in ROTJ is somewhat less due to story requirements but he is with the gang in the final group too.

3. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Half over?

Your dreamin', pal.

4. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    LOL You're joking right?

5. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    No.

THE PortmanLuvva likes this.
  6. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Yes, Lando first makes his appearance in ESB after 2/3's of the movie has already played.

Also, you're out of your mind if you think Lando had as much screen time in ESB as Solo has in ANH!

7. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    And the strange thing is that the robots and the Wookie get mentioned first wherever it's the Big 4.

And apart from this the Big 3 is still Star Trek. They had the phrase first.

8. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
  9. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012

So I'm a little off in the screentime - kind of pointless of me to bring it up in the first place as it isn't a valid point in a characters importance to a story.

The actual important thing is that characters importance to the story.

Strange though how people are wanting Wedge Antilles back rather than Lando.

10. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah, SW can't possibly have a BIG 3 leading actors / characters. /sarcasm

LOL

11. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    No. It was applied to Kirk and co. even back in the '70s. Heard it many times.

It was what I used to call them wherever used to talk about Trek and I must have heard it from someone else.

12. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    I was merely stating the fact that the nickname was applied to Trek first.

No sense in getting snippy.

Don't get "/sarcasm" bit.

13. Buddha Fett

Dec 18, 1999
    I was responding to the thread title, not anyone else's post.
    I simply meant that I like BOTH Star Trek and Star Wars. It's not a contest. I don't see a need to choose between them based on others opinions.

ThatWanFromStewjon likes this.
  14. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    I don't think anyone can claim one way or the other.

15. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Sorry, Buddha. I dragged you into that by replying to your post by mistake.

Apologies.

16. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    No I was just referring to the fact that both franchises can have a "Big 3." Both can. That's all.

17. Buddha Fett

Dec 18, 1999
    No worries. ;) If I knew my post would cause such a response I'd have come up with something a little less vague the first time!

18. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Which claim do you mean? The nickname or the cultural impact?

If its the nickname I assure you it was Trek's first as I said above - and it must gave been the popluar expression for it to reach me in the wilds.

If its the cultural impact, I agree. It could never be settle on a message board.

As I said, boffins with clipboards would need to take charge.

This sprang from another thread in which myself and Echo-07 and another disagreed on the matter.

I had thought we settled it by agreeing to disagree but I was clearly mistaken.

19. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Not your fault at all, friend.

Twas I that hijacked you ;)

20. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    The nickname claim... I'm sure it was used for something LONG before it was ever used for either franchise, and which franchise had it first... unless you've talked to everyone who's ever talked about them and can get hard evidence, you will never have anything other than something of an anecdotal claim.

The cultural impact.. I've already said many times Star Wars BY FAR is more ingrained in the culture than Star Trek.

21. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    And I was just stating the fact that the nickname Big 3 has been applied to Trek first.

And Star Wars actually can't claim it or even the 4 I mentioned - not really.

Too many of the main characters ate vital to the story.

Vader is the main villain throughout. The droids are the "accelerant" to the story. Chewie will rip our arms of if he gets a hint of this. Kenobi is no ones supporting character - even when a force ghost. Lando's actions constantly top the scales in the movie.
    Luke, Leia and Solo are the action heroes.

All of these characters are vital to the story.

Star Wars needs them all.

Trek only needs Kirk, Spock and McCoy. The supporting characters like Scotty, Sulu and the rest are not vital to the stories. They are easily interchangeable with any random character.

22. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    I've got the memory of fact - clear as day in my head. And I know I didn't come up with it. So others before me had used it. That might not be enough for you but that is irrelevant as it does not change the fact that it is so.

I can't imagine what it might have been applied to beforehand - its possible as is anything - but I interpret the statement as a wild claim just for the sake of it.

As regards the cultural impact - neither you or I can actually say for definate because neither of us are impartial on the matter. It looks like nobody here really can be. Plus there is more to it than personal opinion.

And also people would probably disagree on what the requirements are for defining a cultural icon or impact.

23. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Yeah, Kirk Spock and McCoy are a three man troupe who can be the only 3 in an entire film and it would be fine... keep telling yourself that.

EVERY movie needs it's supporting characters. Every movie has it's vital supporting characters to do many important things.

Just for laughs, I found an origin of "The Big Three" that came in the 1880's referring to Harvard, Yale and Princeton. How's that for being first?

24. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    I think you know well that is not what I said - I stated that Scotty, Sulu and co. are in no way vital to the progression of plot and action in Star Trek. Any random character can fill their role. They could be killed off and it would have no affect on the show. Of course Trek can't be a three man play.

There is no point in being snitty.

As to the school nickname, well there you go - we've all learned something. The nickname goes beyond even Trek. Well done on looking that up.

But as I said, there isn't a Big any number in Star Wars. All the main characters are vital to the plot and their roles can't be filled by any random character.

25. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    You will never convince me that the supporting roles in Star Trek are less important to the story.

A Supporting role is a supporting role and they are all important - some more than others... but that doesn't launch one character to a main role when he is still clearly a supporting character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.