main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Should I bother getting into the Thrawn Trilogy now that Episode 7 is officially happening?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DebonaireNerd, Nov 10, 2012.

1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I've always wanted to try this series but now that Episode 7 is going ahead with George's statement of the story being original (written by Michael Arndt), would the Thrawn trilogy now be considered as an alternative universe to what we're getting in 2015? Have the stories of Thrawn still stood the test of time?

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    It was always an alternate universe. Episode 7, whatever it is, won't represent George Lucas' vision. It'll be Disney's vision.

Intellectual property can be sold but no artistic merit.

The Thrawn Trilogy and Expanded Universe are GOOD books and if you choose not to read them because of an arbitrary distinction that's your call.

But there is no "true" story to Star Wars and it certainly isn't going to be made any truer because someone paid George Lucas 4 billion dollars.

Jedi_Glover and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    The War of the Ring is still worth reading in original form whatever some film decides to change about the End of the Third Age.

tjace likes this.
  4. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I personally think the Thrawn Trilogy are some of the best Star Wars books out there. I would definitely recommend reading them, regardless of the content of Episode 7. If you start not wanting to read a EU book because it might conflict with another work then your going to severely limit yourself.

5. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Read them.

6. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes. They're a fantastic series, we know nothing about what implications Episode VII will have on EU and even if it overrides everything you still have a good three years to truly enjoy the richness and depth of the storyline.

7. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    short version: OF COURSE!

long version: OF COURSE! x a hundred

8. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I think i'd better, i started reading Heir To The Empire when I was about 9 or 10 but never committed to it because I felt the book "didn't have enough cool explosion pictures" :D I looked on itunes for the book but it doesn't look as though it's available. I've noticed they've done a hardcover Anniversary reprint, i'll get that one.

9. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Actually i've just realised how naive I am because i've just read through the Expanded Universe article on Wikipedia and the EU is far more expansive than I anticipated. Strangely enough I do remember reading "The Glove Of Darth Vader" and "Lost City of the Jedi". How much of the post-Yarvin era would I have to read to understand the Thrawn trilogy since thrawn seems to take place some years after Return Of the Jedi?

10. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    You don't have to read anything else to understand the Thrawn books. They were the first novels written after ROTJ so they don't rely on any other EU.

Zorrixor likes this.
  11. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    All three are available on itunes. Make sure you're getting the unabridged versions though.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Once again, an original story means that it's not an adaptation of an existing story, so we're not getting "Thrawn: the Musical." An original story does not mean "we're chucking the EU." People need to stop reading things into words that aren't there.

13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    [face_laugh][face_rofl]

That now has to happen or my life with never be complete.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Thrawn and all EU is canon until 2015 says otherwise.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    "Pelly, oh Pelly, there's a rumblin' in my belly. Though his brain be rather ill, help us C'baoth might still. First we'll discredit Ackbar, and we'll make their council meetings go FUBAR. Now let's go find some mining drills, I think they'll handy and we won't even have to hire that Mandie..."

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It's his story treatment, and it will probably be no more Disney's vision than The Avengers was Disney's vision.

17. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't see why not, Star Wars is Star Wars.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If you're after an interesting take on the Empire that was subsequently built on for years afterwards, yes.

For all we know Ep 7 will indeed have an Empire but they'll be EEEEEVIL and all speak the Emperor's English! (ie Brit accents)

19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, you came up with that a little too quickly.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm talented.

21. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    A good read is a good read regardless of canonocity. So yeah, I would recommend them.

22. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Yes, that is all.

For extra points start off with the 20th anniversary edition of Heir.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I love that version. Was sad when I found out the weren't doing it for DFR and TLC as well.

24. Qual

Qual Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2009
    Must have missed this: is it confirmed that they won't be doing the next two books? Shame if true, it was a brilliant idea.

25. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Also considering the statements made by both Zahn and Lucas about how the Thrawn Trilogy was originally conceived of as sort of Episode 6.5 bridge between the OT and any sequels, well... I think it's the least likely set of books to be rendered non-canon.