main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars or Star Trek???

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Echo-07, Nov 10, 2012.

?

Which franchise is bigger? Which mythos has a bigger impact on our culture?

1. Star Wars

58 vote(s)
    95.1%
  2. Star Trek

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    Question answered ;)

2. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Ok, nitpicker. He was in the 20th century. Big deal. WOW! I apologize for making such a bad mistake.

What does mysticism have to do with this?

Exactly. John williams never worked on Star trek, I know that already.

I meant he's as awesome and legendary as Mozart.....

Not that they were similar..

3. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    First off calm down.

No need for name calling.

You asked why I said your post made no sense and manners dictate that I give you a full answer.

So I did.

None of your "criticisms" of the movie made any sense because they bore no relation to it whatsoever.

You brought up the mysticisms in your post.

And comparing two artists - or two of anything - is by its very definition saying they are similar.

And there is no point in getting upset with me - you are the person who was trying to answer a question made to another person.

thesevegetables likes this.
  4. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    My battery is at 4% - so apologise in advance for not being able to answer.

5. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    You mean mythical? Not mystical......

Besides, I like Star wars a lot because of it's epic awesome godlike music....

Star trek doesn't have that, so i don't like it as much as star wars. It's not that I hate it or anything....

Sorry for name calling....

6. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    The real question is: why is this thread in the Episode VII forum?

7. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    There isn't

8. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    That might be down to auto correct with the spelling - but I took mythical tropes as the topic of mysticism and the like.

Not sure what you mean by godlike in regards to music - but Trek scores where always epic - and Giancchino has taken it to a while new level.

9. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I think both have their respective places as being this large, incredible thing, but I would have to say that Star Wars has had the biggest impact out of the two. I adore both of them. I'm a trekie from way back, but I would have to say that Star Wars has the bigger staying power. Star Trek has had multi-films and tv series and books, but it hasn't had anything really happening with it in the last few years. Star Wars has never stopped having new things happening with it for 35 years.

10. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    Star Wars

I post my post from the ccc why

if I list all the things I dislike about trek i'll be here all day,

at the top of my head:

the narration talks about them discovering new planets, and going where no man has ever gone before" so lets say a series has 100 eps a series

Trek spends about 98 eps on the ship. Where there are no new planets to be seen, so it blatently lies before the credits even begin.

brings me to my next point

the ship is always breaking down *yawn* the plots are the same as as the week before

- no one has a personailty, i mean no one

- the acting is very funny, there are 2 types: over theatrical and cheese or they don't act at all, watching both types converse is extremely odd

- the alien designs are not unique, and everyone has the same forhead

11. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    Doctor Who!

Seriously though, who cares which is bigger? They are both great and I enjoy them both.

12. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Well, I'll let the quote speak for myself. And please give examples of epic Star Trek music.

With Star Wars, Lucas took these mythological tropes, condensed them, and repackaged them for modern audiences. He used the relatively new medium of cinema and the narrative structure of an adventure serial. A New Hope is an analogue both to Flash Gordon (lasers, spaceships, action, exotic locations) and to an Arthurian myth (magic swords, princesses in castles, wizards, good and evil).
    This, incidentally, is why the Star Wars movies have proven to be so hard to imitate. Just watch a knockoff like The Last Starfighter or the recentStar Trek. They nail the feeling of adventure, but the mythic core is absent. Star Wars struck a nerve like no other movie in history, and it did it through deep truths, not surface theatrics.

13. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    the original Star Trek series, Star Trek ! to VI, DS9, and the new Star Trek.

as to the "mythological tropes" , I think I said this already, that Star Trek isn't about wizards, magic swords, etc. so this doesn't apply

14. Jinn-N-Tonic

Jinn-N-Tonic Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2006
    I have nothing against the Trek fans that liked the Abrams reboot but for me, I've been following Trek just as long... if not longer than Star Wars. I watched and follow every TV series and movie for over 35 years and this movie screwed up and totally eliminated everything from the original series to The Next Generation, DS9 and Voyager from canon/existence. Now those TV series and movies never existed because Nero went back in time and altered everything.

Also, I have a hard time accepting anyone but the Shat in the role of Kirk.

Also I thought it was too too far fetched for Kirk getting promoted from cadet to Captain.

I know that Trek has been stale for the last 5 years under Rick Berman's leadership and he needed to go. However, I would have rather Trek get a revamp instead of a reboot.

15. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Jinn-N-Tonic - always, revamps instead of reboots, unless something is truly terrible.

16. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I enjoy both but Star Wars so much more

17. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Reasonable ;)

I get what your saying - that "in universe" it changed things - but ultimately what does that matter really?
    The various series, movies, books etc. are still there for you to enjoy.

Trek was dead - I don't think it was ever coming back in any form, until this team took over.

Now it's begun a comeback.

I had thought the same thing too - but I was surprised and delighted to be proved wrong.

Everything about Kirk was always far-fetched ;) and Kirk was always that awesome anyway :)

but if you take a look at naval history it's got precedence

Longer than that - I watched every episode and movie of TNG - and being perfectly honest the series accomplished absolutely nothing (and what the heck did they do to the Borg) - Voyager I never even bother with after season 3 (never understood how the ship had endless resources for hull maintenance after every battle :) ), Enterprise was decent (proper Trek, but the time war was ridiculous, of course they killed it the season it found its path, and DS9 - now that was one fantasic show, every character engaging and fully utilised, seven seasons and only one "meh" episode - awesome - and of it would the underdog of the franchise.

Something had to be done to revive the franchise - people thought, new show, new characters, further into the future - but nothing ever happened and no one wanted it.

I say give the guy at Paramount who thought JJ Abrams and the rest should have a crack at it a raise ;)

18. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    asking this on a Star Wars fan site might not have been the best idea.

Star Wars Lego Games says it all!

19. Dragon_eye

Dragon_eye Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2006
    I like them both...but still picked SW:D

20. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    The impact on culture is big with Trek also, that is being understated here. Trek has an older audience, and is more of a TV show than a movie series; so I don't know how meaningful comparisons of movie audiences are (although I think this is again overstated here regarding ANH). An older audience is less likely to buy toys, video games, etc.
    Yes, Star Wars is bigger, but let's not get carried away.

21. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    http://www.mrob.com/pub/film-video/topadj.html

All stats can be disputed.

Total admissions for ANH 194.4 Million which is no.2 of all time.

Lowest on the list of 230 is 35.8 Inception.with 35.8

Not one of the Star Trek films makes it to the top 230 all time admissions.

Maximum possible admissions for all 11 released Star Trek films equals 392.7million (11 x 35.7)

How many of the Star Trek films had admissions close to 35.7 million. Star Trek 2/Star Trek 4/Star Trek 8/Star Trek 11 possiblmaybe- the others no way near.

22. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    I'd say, since most of the stuff we use today are based on Trek tech (mobiles now like a communicator, medical displays in hospitals) it would have to be Star Trek.

23. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    All stats can disputed, yes, but that comparison is only one small aspect of what I was saying. Trek is a TV show with an older audience, Star Wars a movie series with a younger audience (thus selling a lot of toys and video games). Basing the cultural impact on sales of toys, games,and movies distorts the comparison. Trek has a strong cultural hook in America, it just isn't geared toward children like Star Wars.

24. xtinataguba

xtinataguba Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2012
    starwars is more popular than startrek. better graphics. and scenes.

25. Attariel

Attariel Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    They are both big but lets be honest here, you could go up to anyone and asked them if they know what Star War is and they will say yes, if they like it or not they know what it is. If you do the same thing with Star Trek you would get a lot of yes answers but at the same time many no answers. Star Trek started as a TV show and later became films. Where as Star Wars was a film to begin with and grew from there. Not to mention that there are significantly more games with Star Wars which is one of the major pass times of youth today. Star Trek is comming back into the spot light with the new film and upcomming sequel. I was raised on both Star Wars and Star Trek but I know that none of my friends get as excited about Star Trek as they do Star Wars. We are avid participants in May 25th anaversary of the first Star Wars film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.