main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion About the age thing...best reference is Star Trek

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Guybrush, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Considering it started with "I think" I don't see how that even remotely came across as being stated as fact. "I think" as a qualifier at the start of a post, immediately points to opinion or speculation. Even after the "I think" qualifier at the beginning, I then even used the word "likely" which is anything BUT fact... it's a probability estimate based on the subject at hand, in this case my stated speculation led to the "likely" idea that Luke would be a force ghost in most of the trilogy.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  2. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    This. Always this.

3. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    You never expect to have to go all "english lesson" to explain one of your own posts on a message board. [face_laugh]

4. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    The way you phrased it seemed to me to suggest that you considered it a foregone conclusion - perhaps "fact" was the wrong word here.

However, I do not see how you can come to this line of reason based on zero evidence.

There is no reason why any of the Big Four - yes, folks, there is four - cannot return in a leading role capacity or any role that Lucas' plot calls for.

A lot of folks here seem uncomfortable with the idea of actors over the age of 40, but I can assure you the vast majority of people do not.

And plenty of kids - the actual target audience - enjoy the idea of a guy or doll like their grandparents taking names and general putting manners on evil doers.

5. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    I can't read your mind, my friend, I can only interpret what you mean based on what you write.

There is no need to be rude.

And english is not the first languagr of everyone here, or on the Internet so you might what to own yourself to those possibilities.

6. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Again, not sure how my phrasing made it seem to be a foregone conclusion, I used very simplified speculation phrasing. If I had said "It's more than likely that Luke will be the only one to last the entire trilogy, and most of it likely as a force ghost" then sure.. but I just said plain and simply that "I think" that's what will happen. Everyone thinks one thing or another, I just stated my thoughts and nothing more.

As for the rest of your post...

We're not talking about someone who's 50. Harrison Ford is 70yrs old, Mark Hamill is 65... their days of leading an action flick as a central main character are coming to an end. Ford will be 73 when the FIRST of the ST comes out, and they would still have 2 more films to go yet. I would be SHOCKED, considering his historical dislike for the character he plays, if he wanted to be one of the main guys in 3 full completel films.

The reason I think Hamill is the only one of the 3 will be in all 3 movies, is the nature of his character makes it more likely. Ford will likely want Han finally killed off like he wanted in RotJ, and Carrie Fisher is just not in movie making shape in general these days to be a main character.

Hamill could easily slip into a nobel Obi-Wan type of mentor role and thus has more options in general.

This trilogy will be IMO, a way to get new characters into the universe for a new generation of fans to follow going forward, yet at the same time, be a way for those who grew up with the OT, to say goodbye to their generation of characters.

7. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    That was not intended to be rude, I thought the situation funny is all. If I offended I apologise.

8. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Well, this was one of my points - you did state your thoughts but I interpreted the wording as though you considered it the aforementioned "foregone conclusion". Others might too, just as there would be hose who got your meaning. And others still with another interpretation.Thus is the nature of the beast.

The success of movies like The Expendables would say otherwise. The only problem with those movies is the presence of the guy who isn't an old codger.

Ford actually HATED Blade Runner - not the grumpy dislike of Solo - and he mellowed in the last few years. Probably sick and tired of people always bringing it up in every single conversation and, God only knows what John Q., says while his walking down the street.

And Solo living or dying will not really be based on Ford's like or dislike, but on what is best for the franchise.

I doubt Ford would be bitter enough to only return on the condition that Solo gets killed off.

Plus, bare in mind, Ford's original opinion on Solo's death was that he should "come to a sticky end" as he "saw no other way for the character to go (or grow)".

Hamill - I agree though personally I see no reason to copy the OT and have the mentor die. Obi-Wan was originally intended to survive A New Hope, even after Alec Guinness signed on. I believe the Force Ghost idea evolved from the fact that Guinness contract covered his appearance in sequels.

Ford - see above please.

Fisher - why?

Williams - Why does Lando never get a mention.

Hamill - Again, I hope not. This is just copying the characters again.

Yes, of course the new trilogy will have to introduce new characters, but this does mean that Luke Skywalker needs to slip into a supporting role or just a mentor character.

Sorry for the delay in responding - all the batteries went at the same time.

9. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    No offence taken. ;)

10. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Can you picture this Carrie Fisher as a main star of a film trilogy?
    Oh, and for the record, I find the Expendables movies to be completely unwatchable!

[​IMG]

11. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Yes, I would.

And regarding The Expendables, I was referring to its success, popularity and that "the old codgers" in it are still very much action stars.

I haven;'t seen the movies at all though. I would, but I can't abide that Statham fellow.

He wouldn't be so bad, but he actually thinks his films are art and he is a thespian.

His words, not mine.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't think it's fair to assume that "most people" here are uncomfortable with actors over the age of 40. I've seen nothing but admiration for Christopher Lee and Ian McDiarmid's performances and they're both well above the age of 40.

And pointing out that Carrie Fisher neither looks the same nor has the same stamina that she had 30 years ago--or even that she has let herself go, if that is the case--is somehow being mean? Really? I don't think Carrie Fisher was washed out at 30 by any means, I loved her in When Harry Met Sally, but if that picture above really is Carrie Fisher (I say that because I don't even recognize her there), then she has let herself go. That's not being mean, it's just reality. And she would have to get herself back into shape to even play a 50- or 60-year-old Leia in the new films, if Leia is going to be an aged version of the character we remember.

I liked Harrison Ford in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, he still looked like Indiana Jones to me, but I think the fact that he'll be 77 in 2021 is a fair point; the writers would have to do something with Han's character to reflect as much.

As I mentioned, I'm all over real ageism when I see it, but pointing out that it's harder to keep in shape as one ages and that some of the actors in question haven't necessarily done so, isn't ageism, it's reality. (I find it about three times as hard to stay in shape in middle age than it was a couple of decades ago, and I get mistaken for being 10 years younger than I am all the time.)

13. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    The age issue is relevant to the ST because Star Wars is, and always has been, about action. It simply is not thrilling to watch 60-70 year old actors try to pull off action scenes. McDiarmid was awful at dueling. Lee had to be supported by a healthy dose of CG and the results were mixed. Guinness was a slowpoke in ANH even at a much younger age than the PT duelists. The thread here refers to Star Trek - a perfect example of what does not work as the actors age. Shatner looked ridiculous as he aged and ballooned up, in terms of action. Also, Ford looked slow and foolish in Indy 4 trying to perform action scenes.

We watch movies to be thrilled and taken away to a world of make believe. I am 41 and my body and reflexes are slowing down and I fully admit that Hollywood action is best left to the young.

I think Hamill should work like a dog to get himself in shape for a brief duel or two, but at this point I am starting to lean towards wanting very small cameos for Ford and Fisher. And I would avoid any kind of physical action sequences for those two.

14. Matsemitsu

Matsemitsu Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    What a shamefully sexist statement that post is - words cannot describe it. So you' re worried that you won't get a BONER seeing Carrie Fisher these days? As if actors and actresses were there to stimulate your pubescent fantasies instead of, say, to play a believable character (no matter the age)?

That is beyond pathetic - and sadly I don't even see a hint of irony or jest in your statement. Again: shameful.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Meh--I'm also all over sexism whenever I see it; ask anyone who has been in the RedLetterMedia threads when I have. I'll even yell sexism when someone comments about Padme being older than Anakin.

But I'm not seeing sexism in the post you quoted, again, just reality. This has nothing to do with Carrie Fisher being a woman or some double standard indicating that women are supposed to keep up with their looks while men can let theirs go. The OT actors don't look like they did 30 years ago, and if they are in the new film, I think that the script would have to be written so that the characters act very much twice the age that they were in the OT. And we're looking at two other points here: one, the main characters in the SW films are generally in their 20s, with one principle character (Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon) being older, and two, even the middle-aged or elderly characters don't act middle-aged or elderly. See: Ian McDiarmid.

If the OT actors reprised their roles, they would all three have to get in shape. Mark Hamill has put on quite a bit of weight, and many of us women remember his very nice shirtless form on Dagobah and have serious doubts that he'll be able to pull that off again. Is that sexist, simply because (sadly) there isn't nearly the amount of eye candy in Star Wars for those of us who prefer the male form?

16. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    All these threads are blurring together. So I'm sure I've echoed these sentiments elsewhere.

But I think their age is relevant, as is their physical shape. As is the consideration of what would 70 year old Han's life be like? He was a smuggler, he helped the Rebellion, the Empire was defeated, he probably married Leia, fast forward 30+ years and is he still going to be flying the Millennium Falcon? Is he still going to have the same personality. At the first sign of trouble from whomever the villains are, is he going to throw on his vest, get Chewbacca and jump in the cockpit of the Falcon? Does that feel natural for the character or does that feel like something that would be put into the movie because you can't have this opportunity to have Han Solo in the films again and NOT have him do that (i.e. forced).

Leia is sort of up in the air. Luke suggested that Leia would learn the ways of the Force (which implied that she might be a Jedi), however she's a politician and again possibly married with kids potentially. If she is a politician, then weight and age aren't going to matter. If she's a Jedi then there's the consideration that an overweight Jedi is pretty much out of character. Carrie played as Leia, but that does not mean that she IS Leia. Carrie might have struggled with her weight and drugs, but Leia - especially if she's a Jedi - likely did not. And if you make Leia a Jedi then there's the consideration of whether she will ever take up a lightsaber and fight, which would likely be like Ian fighting Mace Windu (no thanks).

With Luke, same deal regarding the weight. He'll probably need to hit the gym (and I don't doubt that he will). Bring Luke back though and it's pretty much inevitable that he has to be seen fighting (unlike Leia who could go either way). Could Mark at least keep pace like Samuel L. Jackson (I'm not expecting any kind of Ewan McGregor vs. Hayden intensity or fight choreography)? Or alternatively, they could cut corners by having a predominantly Force-filled battle which would be far easier on the actors. It's not like having Dooku shoot lightning at Yoda or throw debris at him involved any more from Christopher Lee than arm movements. And as the Sidious vs. Yoda fight showed, the animators can turn such a fight into something visually awesome. Liam Neeson was able to do the TPM fight, so perhaps Mark Hamill could get in shape and be comparable, or maybe not (not everyone holds onto the same stamina as they age).

In universe it makes sense for Luke to still be able to fight given his ability to use the Force. Just as Yoda - who was relatively close to the end of his life - could call on the Force to go from a slow moving creature to agile and fast when he called on the Force. And as I said, corners could be cut to create a visually striking battle with limited stress on the actor. After all Luke pretty much is the individual that Anakin failed to be and had the potential to exceed Sidious and Yoda.

Leia could be a Jedi, but it would be just as easy to reason that she remained a politician. When it comes to any kind of sword fighting the younger actors like Ewan and Hayden (or young Mark Hamill) show enthusiasm, which I would highly doubt from Carrie just because I've not known her to really be in that kind of physically demanding role even when yound (Ian McDiarmid apparently was not looking forward to his fight scene at all and I would think it would be similar with Carrie). It would probably be clunky fighting in shots that demand Carrie be present, and in others it would probably be staring at the back of her head (stunt double) with a digitally superimposed face for when she twirls and faces the camera.

With Han, I really don't know that it feels natural for him to jump right into the action as though the past 30-40 years never happened. And when it comes to the Han character that a lot of people love, I think they are thinking more along the lines of ANH or ESB, not the individual he was in ROTJ in being constantly concerned for Leia. I would fear that the character would inexplicably regress into his ANH self as fan service.

TreborSabreon and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  17. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    How can you reason with people who expect people to look the same at 60 as they did at 30.

And Ford was still great shape for Indy 4, and the world could see that and he owned every action sequence just like he always did.

And nobody here has the first clue about what Fisher and Hamill are capable of.

The plain and simple fact is that no matter how much you claim to the contrary, you are predjudiced.

And this will come back to haunt you. This kind of thing always does.

18. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    It's not prejudice, it's realistic.

They are no longer individuals who can do a lot of physical stunts, and Star Wars movies require physical stunts. It would be unrealistic to expect it from any of their characters except Luke as well due to his strength in the force.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't think anyone expects that, and that's part of the point.

TaradosGon and EviL_eLF like this.
  20. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    That is not a defence.

Read the posts.

A lot are just based on attacking the actors and spitting bile.

It just the same as cyber bullying - people think because they are hidden behind the anonymity of the Internet they have the right to say anything they like. Not one of these people would say it out loud, I can guarantee you that.

I had though this forum - considering it is devoted to a story of good vs. evil - would attract people who can tell the difference between right and wrong.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So on a forum devoted to "good and evil", it is acceptable to tell people that they must interpret posts the way you interpret them or subscribe to your idea of "right and wrong"?

I don't look like I did when I was 23 either, but I'm not going to assume that someone is attacking me if that fact is pointed out. I'm not sure where "spitting bile" comes from, or why you are assuming that anyone is saying anything that couldn't or wouldn't be said in person.

And "cyberbullying"? Seriously? Is this thread a cyberbullying attack against Hayden Christensen and Matt Lanter? Or does the accusation only apply when people talk about Fisher aging--since she's a woman and all that? (That would be sexism, BTW--the assumption that women are so sensitive and so hung up on their looks that no one can dare discuss the fact that very few if any of us look the same at 50 as we did at 20.)

EviL_eLF likes this.
  22. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
  23. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Even younger celebs don't look their greatest during candid shots(away from the studio and makeup), but her weight seems to have been bouncing back and forth over the years. If Mark and Carrie can diet and excercise, they may not be able to move like they could 30 years ago, but I think they can hold their own when teaming up with their children(and of course Harrison as well, who moved pretty well 4 years ago as Indy).

[​IMG]

This pic wasn't that long ago(about 7 years ago?) and Harrison, Mark, Carrie, and Billy all looked pretty good here. It'll take work, but I think they can get pretty close to this again(sure they're older, but again not that much older).

24. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Could you show me where that was said?

Watching Ford in Indy 4 was just plain depressing. Or maybe that was from Shia. I just know that I didn't find the movie entertaining and felt pretty crappy about it after it was over. (I didn't even see it in theaters, I didn't see it until years later)

I think we have a clue based on the 30+ years of their careers. We don't know for sure, but we can speculate and wager based on probability.

If Fisher and Hamill come back for the ST and rock my balls off, awesome. I'm just betting against it at this point.

Saying Hamill and Fisher are too old to be in the ST will "haunt" me? You're taking this a bit too seriously, no?

I have the right to say just about anything I want, whenever I want.

I wouldn't say "Carrie Fisher is too fat to reprise her role as Leia" aloud? Why not? Is someone going to beat me up over it?

Well, guess what, I'm pretty sure I already have said that or something similar. Literally nothing happened.

[CT turns his back on ThatWan]

[CT turns and gives his best evil sneer at ThatWan]

[CT and ThatWan circle each other]

[CT laughs and walks away, ending this epic confrontation between good and evil]

Cue Star Wars ending credits theme.

Starring

CT-867-5309 as Darth CT
    ThatWanFromStewjon as Obi-Wan Kenobi
    anakinfansince1983 as Long time fan of Anakin Skywalker who doesn't look like she did when she was 23
    lord_eidolon as person who lol'd

25. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012

First of all - I said the forum is devoted to a story of good vs. evil.

Then is said I thought that the people who use it would know the difference between right and wrong.

And if you look through some of the posts in this thread and others, the nasty ones and not the ones that just question whether the actors look like they can handle the action aspect, you'd have to be pretty twisted not to see what is wrong with them.

And I said it is "the same as cyber bullying" (as in similar) - not that was - because that would require Hamill and company to be online here to receive it.

I was comparing it to cyber bullying by the similarity in which people hide behind the anominity of the net and say things they wouldn't dare when face to face and say it thinking because they are hidden that it somehow justifies it - like people who think copyright piracy is different to shoplifting.

And I wasn't referring only to things said about Fisher, but as it would so happen, the more vile comments were directed at her.

It appears to me that you (apologises if I'm mistaken) have jumped in in the middle. You really should look through some of the posts. I'm not the only one disgusted by the comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.