main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lucasfilm Confirms: Michael Arndt To Write Screenplay For Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diggs, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    Why do you think they are not "kid friendly"?

2. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Looking for a general consensus on this - what age do you guys and gals think Little Miss Sunshine is suitable for?

It has been a while since I've seen it.

Is the F word featured a lot?

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not sure too many kids would really grasp the concept of manipulating the political system in order to gain power; it would take some understanding of how political systems work as well as how they can become corrupted. I think kids who gain that comprehension in ninth-grade civics classes are fortunate.

4. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    I've never met a child or adult who didn't understand it.

The story is not as complex as many people seem to think it is.

Sidious uses the alien guys to cause trouble so he can trick his way in getting control of the government.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    But would a kid understand how the "alien guys" are able to cause trouble using the machinations already legally in place in the system? And would they understand why those machinations are not only legally in place, but used regularly?

I remember as a kid thinking that democracy was a perfect system of government, whereas as an adult I recognize that it's not perfect at all--in fact, it's messy because it involves a lot of people--but it's still better than other systems. The latter part was what Anakin in his immaturity didn't understand; he couldn't tolerate the mess, and couldn't think past the idea of "putting one person in charge to clean up the mess" to what the consequences of that would be.

6. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Can't find this guy on Twitter - anyone know if he has an account?

Also - any interviews with him on the appointment yet?

7. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012

Who, dude?

Arndt?

You won't him talking any time soon.

8. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Yeah Arndt, would be nice to at least hear something from the guy - if he's psyched or whatever.

9. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Well, anakinfansince1983, kids are people too - just smaller and more pleasant - fun size humans if you will, and some get the deeper meaning of thinks just as well, or even better than some adults. They are also able to cut through to the heart of the matter when necessary.

One of my nephews got when watching it for the first time that the law was being used for evil purposes and shook his fist at the Senate's inadequacy. His older brother just wanted to see whole slaughter.

Two minutes later none of the politics mattered because the Jedi were on the move.

Funny though that the only people I "meet" that think TPM is complex, are on forums.

10. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012

Why do you say that?

11. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I can't find evidence of his existence at all except for news headlines that he's writing Ep7. Maybe he's being kept incognito in some undisclosed lockdown location on The Ranch.

What's really interesting is that no one ever just announces this stuff in a public statement until the deal is done. Which means he's known for a while. Which means he's been told not to say anything until the announcement...but he hasn't said anything, so methinks there's still some behind-the-scenes arrangements to work out. Perhaps Monday (at the earliest on a good day) or maybe by mid-week.

12. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    Avenger was a kids flick, wasn't it? It was extremely immature, from the dialogue to the plot...

A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back are so brilliant that they are for any age...

13. TheMasterOfSoresu

Jan 23, 2011
    Oh, I do hope so.

I'm about to watch Little Miss Sunshine...

14. TheMasterOfSoresu

Jan 23, 2011
    It's not as simple as that though, is it?

The politics are never really explained or told to us?

What was the trade dispute about? Was there even a trade dispute or did Sidious just want to be elected Chancellor of the Republic.

How did Sidious predict that the Jedi would manage to survive, Amidala manage to escape (even though he demanded they both be killed), Amidala manage to propose a vote of no confidence and also, how did he predict that he would be nominated as Chancellor in place of Valorum.

Because - I assume - that was Sidious's plan from the start (i.e. the trade blockade), wasn't it?

Or was it something else that we weren't told?

(Forgive me if I speak out of context, I've only watched TPM in its entirety a handful of times, and my memory often fails me.)

Politics is fine, I enjoy it I study it. I've seen episodes of The Clone Wars where the politics behind events occurring have been explained better and actually attach the viewer emotionally (I can't remember which, but it ends with Amidala's speech on the importance of democracy).

We didn't even see any struggle in Naboo... etc etc

15. unicron5

unicron5 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Toy Story 3 is a better movie than the rebooted Star Trek and better than any of the Star Wars prequels and better than Avengers. Better than Avatar too.

Gulp. There I said it (sorry to offend the man-children who deem it a "kids movie", it has something called story structure and "heart", go figure).

There's a reason none of those other movies got nominated for a best Oscar screenplay whereas Toy Story 3 did -- because it's much better written, flat out.

Anyone complaining about this choice is off their rocker. Star Wars is lucky to have someone this good writing the script, the dude has been nominated for an Academy Award for both of his first two screenplays, lol. And he apparently loves the original trilogy Star Wars so much that he uses it in his lectures on screenwriting as an example of satisfying storytelling.

I just rewatched Toy Story 3 and its fantastic. I'm 100% happy with this choice.

Winged_Jedi likes this.
  16. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Toy Story 3 is a very intelligent movie, dismissing it out of hand as a "kid's movie" is very shortsighted and prejudiced.

It's a great fun movie with a great story/screenplay.

Little Miss Sunshine left quite a good impression on me as well, but I watched it quite a while ago so I really can't recall the details except that it was a breath of fresh air at the time.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  17. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Actually, it is; the plot of TPM is no more simple or complex than the plot of the other films; it just seems that way.

Why would they be? We don't have to understand everything about the politics of the Republic; all we have to see/understand is that they aren't working.

Again, we don't need to know these things, although, to me, it would seem fairly straightforward. The Trade Federation feels they are being unfairly taxed and decides to protest that taxation by blockading a neutral planet.

Yes, and no. Palpatine/Sidious comes across as being this huge puppetmaster, but not everything that happens in TPM is what he actually intended to happen. His initial plan - based on everything that we're shown and/or told - was actually fairly straightforward: manipulate the Trade Federation into invading Naboo and signing a treaty with Queen Amidala, then have her turn up dead, giving him the ammunition and sympathy needed to blame Valorum and the Senate's inaction for the escalation of hostilities, ousting Valorum from office and putting himself in position to become Chancellor since the people would be sympathetic to voting for him because of the tragic events which had just occurred on his home planet.

The things that he didn't anticipate were Valorum choosing to involve the Jedi Council and Amidala escaping from Naboo, but he was shrewd enough to realize that he could use both unforseen events to his advantage by sending Maul to track the Jedi and Amidala down, kill the Jedi, capture Amidala, and take her back to Naboo, where she would sign the treaty and then end up dead. When Maul failed and Amidala and the Jedi returned to Coruscant unscathed, he was forced to improvise and play on Amidala's naivete, compassion, and position as Queen in order to accomplish what he wanted, which was Valorum's ouster and his being carried to the Chancellorship by the 'sympathy vote', which is exactly what, in the end, happened.

18. Alderaan Luke

Alderaan Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    A bit of offtopic, but i was so deceived when Avengers got such a high rating in IMDB or rotten tomatoes. I also was deceived that the critics were so positive (both the experts and the public). For me it was one of the worst films i've watched on a cinema. So stupid plot, so stupid jokes, it was embarrasing, it had too much action, the plot was so inconnexed, the characters were so dull and empty. It was so awkward to me to see the people in my cinema laughing to those extremely predicatble and stupid jokes.

But then, those people told me: "What were you expecting? It is a comic movie." WTH? Not all comic movies are so stupid, predictable, and full of CGI-boring action. I mean, comic movies can be also intelligent and coherent. I don't know, i was expecting it to be at least like Thor, Batman, Hellboy, or THE WATCHMEN (this one is great!!)

TheMasterOfSoresu likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Um, I have two kids of my own and I've spent a 14-year career working with kids. Suffice it to say I am well aware that "kids are people too", and both my job and part of my personal life depends on understanding what they can and cannot "get." Maybe you shouldn't assume that people are coming into posting here with less prior knowledge of the subject matter than you have?

That's awesome that your nephew understood TPM's politics, I never denied that some kids would get it (as kids are people too and therefore are individuals as far as what they will and will not "get" or "like" ;) ) but I stand by my statement that the complexities of the politics in both the prequels and TCW are not aimed at kids, although the movies themselves are certainly appropriate for kids to watch. (My kids have seen all the SW movies and much of TCW series.)

I also wouldn't expect kids to understand the Vietnam references in the OT; that doesn't mean the references aren't there or that they make the OT inappropriate for kids; it just means that Star Wars has something for all ages.

As far as only people on forums thinking that TPM is complex, I think that most people who come to forums to discuss Star Wars, are interested in deeper discussions than "Hey, the Duel of the Fates battle was cool." Such a casual conversation is more likely to happen in person.

StampidHD280pro likes this.
  20. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    well the phrase "mewling quim" isn't for kids !

21. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Yay! Arndt all the way!

"It's all right, I can write a lot better!"
    /LM

22. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    My 11yr old son prefered TDKR to Avengers & TDKR is far from a kids movie.

23. TheMasterOfSoresu

Jan 23, 2011
    None of this is made particularly clear though, nor does it make for good story telling. I mean, of all the things they could have conjured, they decided on this? Everything simply seemed forced.

I agree.

The standard of comic adaptations are so low that even a film as bad as Avengers is considered great - maybe?

24. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I don't get way everyone loved Avengers so much.. It was a ok movie. Even my son who is 7 and loves superhero wanted to leave by the end. The Spider-Man movies or Dark Knight movies and ironman was Better. Avengers was more about action and cgi than story. And the good guys destroyed office building during their fight. In sure they killed lots of people.

25. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    I wouldn't call it bad. I enjoyed the heck out of it, but I'll take Batman trilogy any day over Marvel. I prefer darker, psychological dramas to action packed CGI fests. The villains aren't the cliche "I want money, power, & 2 rule the world!" type of villains. They're deeper & more appealing characters. I felt Loki was the weakest part of Avengers, when he was the strongest in Thor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.