main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lucasfilm Confirms: Michael Arndt To Write Screenplay For Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diggs, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I haven't seen The Avengers yet (bad, I know). I love Batman but I won't let my kids see it yet; my 7-year-old was a little freaked out by The Amazing Spiderman.

Are we talking about what Episode VII will be rated?

2. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    I agree that it would be nice to hear something from Arndt

3. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Probably the next SW.com video.

4. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Just watched Toy Story 3. A very solid movie - somewhat predictable, but then I'm not a target audience. It was surprisingly bittersweet - a feeling largely missing from Star Wars, except maybe the end of ROTJ. It didn't push any new boundaries but I don't really expect it from Pixar. I'll watch Japanese animation for that :) Screenplay is good, no clunky lines :)

Darthsuggs likes this.
  5. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I thought the incinerator scene was incredibly emotional, thought they were going to kill off everyone.

If Luke goes, or any of the OT cast, they should go out with a similar feeling of emotion from the audience.

6. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Oh, and TS3 had a couple of Star Wars references :)

7. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    The sequels don't have to acknowledge them because the original films already do more than enough to provide the audience with the necessary context. You don't need to watch the prequels in order to know what's going on because that back story was common knowledge long before they ever came into existence. Episode VII can happily pick up where Return Of The Jedi left off, make no allusion to any of the prequel films whatsoever, and the audience would be no better or worse off. If you could watch the original Star Wars film without having seen any of the prequels, chances are you'll be able to watch the new ones too.

I disagree. Think about it. Does anyone ever really talk about any of the terrible Superman sequels or just the original movie? Or what about that ridiculous Dumb & Dumber prequel that came out awhile back? Isn't it safe to say most people have already forgotten it exists? Then of course you have something like Spiderman 3 that was so bad that it forced the studio to reboot the franchise. If I'm not mistaken, I don't call Rocky Balboa having any tangible links to Rocky V either.

I'm a prequel hater so perhaps my feelings on the matter are bias, but I just don't see the need to shoehorn anything from them into these new movies. For those that choose to acknowledge the prequels, they can still enter Episode VII without worry regardless. But by including them, you unnecessarily alienate a large portion of the Star Wars fanbase that willfully chooses to ignore them.

In other words, by not having any tangible links to the prequels... both sides win.

8. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Toy Story 3 is great.

9. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    GL isn't going to ignore 11 years of his life invested in the PT. He's shepherding the story for the new trilogy. He altered the OT to fit the PT and produced 5 seasons of an animated series augmenting it. Expect the ST to include references and connections to the PT. There's a whole generation of fans who grew up with it. They'll be in or graduating from college by 2015, they'll want to see "their" trilogy represented. I'm sure it won't be much, since so much time has passed, and we're following up the Empire not the Clone Wars. But "zero references" is an unrealistic expectation. You might as well wait for a KOTOR movie or something.

10. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    PT compared to Rocky V. I've officially seen everything.

Padme501st and Darthsuggs like this.
  11. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    I agree, IMO, it's a better movie than any SW film with ESB being a possible exception. Compare the emotional resonance of Woody choosing to leave Andy with the hilariously bad "Nooooooooooooo!!!" scene from ROTS.

Disney seems to be making all the right moves, at least early in the game.Having Arndt as lead writer should, at the very least, avoid clunky dialogue and the severe tonal dissonance that plagued the PT. Best case scenario, the Oscar-winning writer might manage to pen a masterpiece. Both ends of the spectrum are far better than what GL managed in the PT.

12. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    The scene with Andy and the little girl also stands out to me.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That scene was really heartwarming. The scene at the Garbage Dump was moving as well. I knew they would live but that was getting to me.

14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    A good writer has been chosen, this is the first of what should hopefully be amny positive steps in forming a great creative team for this movie.

Krueger likes this.
  15. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    Alas I don't think we'll hear from him until his script is approved as the shooting draft. Not on starwars.com anyway. I'm sure people will ask when he does press for Catching Fire or whatever.

16. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    I'm thinking he may never get a question asked about Hunger Games ever again. :p

17. DealAlterer

Nov 2, 2012
    No one's asking him to ignore the PT, or forget it. Obviously it exists. Then of course there's the Clone Wars cartoons, the toys, the merchandise, the video games, etc. It would be nearly impossible to erase them from history. All anyone is asking is that a god damn Qui Gon ghost not show up in these new movies or that Luke Skywalker doesn't start randomly babbling about the Trade Federation... or Hayden Christensen showing up. Is that so hard to ask?

Tibanna Gas Mine likes this.
  18. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012

When I was 6 I was watching Terminator, Robocop, Freddy, Jason, and never batted a eye, I knew it was fake. Used to watch horror movies with my grandmother and we would laugh how bad the effects were.

Please don't let your kids watch Avengers, Batman, Star Wars, hobbit, or LOTR.

Keep it safe with the Wiggles, Barney, and the Arthur cartoons.

Don't bother with Seaseme Street cause Jim Henson gets scary with Dark Crystal and Labrinyth.

I'm pretty sure George becoming a over sensitive parent is what ruined the prequels.

First rule of making children's movies is to treat kids like adults.

Btw Nolan's Dark Knight films are no darker than Burton's, Schumacher tried to appeal to " children" and broke the the 1st rule.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  19. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Yes. Next question.

20. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    lol He will. My older sister is a reading teacher and it's as big as Twilight was apparently. From what I've seen of it, it's far better for girls then the sparkling vamps series.

LawJedi likes this.
  21. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Who's asking that Qui Gon not return? You? Most SW fans would be happy to see him back. Fans tuned into TCW just to hear Liam do the character again. Again, Anakin is a popular character, he lives on in the Force, and his son is still alive: why not bring him back? Millions of fans would be delighted. Why would Luke "babble" about the Trade Federation? We have a first rate writer handling this, I'm sure the script will be sound. It sounds like you'll shoot down any little thing you don't want to see.

Padme501st likes this.
  22. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003

Yeah people love Liam Neeson. I don't think people would be upset if a showed up. For me it's just that he didn't have a relationship with Luke like Yoda or Ben did. Like I could most definitely see Yoda return.

23. DealAlterer

Nov 2, 2012
    Yea, they're called fanboys.

Right now I have the right to ignore the PT when I watch the OT, and I would like to extend that right to the ST. But by throwing in Qui Gon or something like that, it robs me of that right. So yes, I would shoot down anything in that regard no matter how well it's handled. I don't want it, period.

Would you be equally as offended if they didn't include anything?

24. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I don't want Quigon in the ST. I wanted to see his force ghost at the end of Revenge.

Thought Lucas was going to add him to the blu-rays, I was wrong.

25. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Fixed for entitlement issues. Sorry, it was that or a Princess Bride reference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.