main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    The Force is strong with You. A powerful sith You will Become. Henceforth, you shall be known as Darth........... Leia.

2. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    ROTS was pretty good. The best of the prequels. In fact it was excellent in tying the whole saga up. (no longer relevant cause of the upcoming films XD) I think ROTJ was the worst of the OT. Yeah, it was dramatic at the end, but really?! Another death star?! And ewoks totally overwhelming imps with spears?! Their armor is supposed to be able to protect them from slugthrowers and some low-power blaster bolts, so how could spears puncture that?! I just didn't like it as much. IMO, the two best SW films (so far at least...XD) are ANH and TESB. TESB was the ultimate, best sequel ever. Period.

3. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I disagree about ROTJ being the worst of the OT. It had some of the best parts. The funeral pyre, with the Force Theme/Binary Sunset theme, the funeral of Anakin Skywalker, not Darth Vader, but Anakin, was awesome. His body vanished just like Obi Wan and Yoda before him, and his samurai suit was burned. So much symbolism there. Anakin was burned and disfigured and put in the cyborg suit at the end of ROTS, on Mustafar, becoming a machine man. After he dies, all that machine man is burned on Endor, in a heroic Jedi funeral, symbolizing his redemption, and remember how Anakin witnessed Qui Gon's funeral when he was a child, a little boy? Profound symbolism. Just plain epic, the reason ROTJ was awesome.

As Anakin died, he remembered his daughter whom he tortured and never saw with his own eyes. That/the daughter that resembled Padme. Luke said there was good in him, mirroring his dying mother's words 23 years before. Anakin had an egg white bald head.

Too bad long haired handsome Anakin never went to Endor or met Luke or Leia, only cyborg Anakin did.

What was wrong with the 2nd Death Star?

Order66Survivor likes this.
  4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Gaping holes all over it? :p

Order66Survivor likes this.
  5. yubyubachoota

yubyubachoota Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2012
    Did lifting the X-wing out of the swamp weaken Yoda and contribute to his death?

I'd like to lodge a complaint concerning this discussion-worthy question needing to be buried at the bottom of a sticky.

thesevegetables likes this.
  6. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Did Darth Vader's voice change from inside the suit? After being burned on Mustafar, his lungs were damaged somehow (please explain how), and the reason he had the synthesized robot James Earl Jones (aka JES) voice was because he needed to talk louder and better. Because in ROTJ, unmasked Anakin had a very weak voice and struggled to talk. Before Anakin Skywalker became a cyborg, he had the voice of Hayden Christensen

However, when Darth Vader talked in the original trilogy (and ending of ROTS when he became a cyborg), with the JES voice, underneath the helmet/mask, he still had his weak, normal voice. Did he have hayden christensen's voice the entire time of the OT, underneath the helmet? He had JES voice, but inside the mask, he had his normal voice. Was his "normal voice" at the time, still Hayden Christensen's? Did his voice change in 20 years. He asked both Padme and Luke to rule the galaxy together with him. Watch this video. Here's a link.

They dubbed the part with vader saying "we can rule the galaxy", with vader from the prequels, before the robot suit, saying that. Underneath the Darth Vader helmet, did we hear, when he offered Luke to join him, what we heard on the link above?

Or, watch 1:40-1:50 on the link below, where Vader asked Padme to rule the galaxy with him. Is that what his voice sounded like underneath the robot suit when he talked to Luke? All whiny and high pitched like that?

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Inhalation of hot air.

8. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Do you mean smoke or fire? What do you mean by hot air? How exactly did the "hot air", or whatever you call it, damage his lungs? I mean, to what extent, and how much? How bad was the lung damage?

Anakin skywalker presumably died in ROTJ because Darth Sidious's force lightning damaged his life support suit (although there are other theories too). He died in a matter of 10-15 minutes or so after being zapped, damaging the robot suit.

Did the darkside keep him alive, or prolong his life, when he was on Mustafar? Had the Emperor arrived minutes later, Vader would have died on Mustafar. It was a matter of time, chance, that he survived, kind of like Luke on the Second Death Star. Is my theory that the Emperor kept Anakin alive through darkside powers while he was on Mustafar correct? After all, the Sith have that power.

Also, here's something that really confused and bothered me. When Vader dueled Obi wan kenobi on mustafar, they were in lavaland, breathing in fire and smoke, yet, their lungs were never damaged? Is there a certain amount of time you can be on Mustafar before your lungs are charred like a smoker or worse? Why didn't obi wan or padme get their lungs charred?

Did Anakin breathe in a specific area of the volcano that was bad?

9. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Sorry for double posting 2 posts above. It was an accident. I thought I posted another video, but I accidentally posted the same one twice. I posted it, and now I can't edit it because it happened too long ago to edit it....

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Anakin was lying on cooled lava still hot enough to burn him- right next to a lava river. At a guess, him and Kenobi were protecting themselves to a degree with The Force- and with his injuries he can't concentrate enough to keep his protections up.

Padme, by contrast, was back on the landing platform, where the heat wasn't as bad.

In the novel of RoTS the Emperor is implied to be "willing Vader to live".

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  11. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    Sorry if this obvious.

In episode IV when C-3PO and R2-D2 are in the death star whilst Luke, Han and Ben are "doin the mission", the stormtroopers come into where they are. As they leave one of them stands guard. C-3PO then talks about where Luke and the others might be or whether they are in danger.

Why doesn't the stormtrooper ask questions or is he the other side of the slide door. Maybe my eyes decieved me!:p

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Anakin's lungs were damaged by inhaling smoke, and not just regular smoke, but a lot of very hot, very dense smoke that came directly from a lava-induced fire... part of which was his own hair and skin burning.

His James Earl Jones voice came from the suit itself. What's interesting is that the vocal mechanisms and breathing functions of the suit seem to operate independently, unlike a regular person; you can hear his breathing pattern continue in the same rhythm regardless of his speech.

Darth Dnej and ILNP like this.
  13. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Hmm...... Maybe it was the famous a, Jedi Mind Trick!!!

14. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    The cyborg robotic breathing was a separate function/part of the life-support suit, I noticed that too.

Why didn't his hair grow back after 23+ years? In episode 6 he was still a baldy!!! Could/would that possibly happen in real life?

His lungs were badly damaged. I mean, at the end of Episode 6, he died a few minutes after the force lightning of the Sith Dark Lord Darth Sidious, the Emperor Palpatine, damaged his life-support suit.

If they arrived a few minutes later to rescue him, would Anakin skywalker have died in the lava from his/the damaged lungs? How exactly were they damaged? How long was he breathing in the lava for? In real life, how long would it take for someone to get that damaged from that lava smokey stuff, and get on the brink of death? Minutes? Hours? How many?

Why didn't Obi Wan Kenobi and Padme get damaged from being on Mustafar? Why just Anakin?

15. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What do you mean by "willing Darth Vader to live"....??

Please send a quote from the book that you are talking about, post it here.....

16. Attariel

Attariel Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    Are there any articles/ books/ documents on the training of Jedi verses the training of Sith? If so what are they?

Darth Dnej likes this.
  17. Attariel

Nov 15, 2012
    If you are burnt severly enough then you dont have any real hope of recovery. Its common with burn victims that while you recover you as so badly scarred that your skin is just scar tissue. As seen in the classic films you can see some of Vader's scar skin and some of his bare skull.

As to the questions about the lungs I actually saw a documentary about Darth Vader on History channel. So Anakin's lungs wouldnt have been 'smoked damaged' they would have been severly burned by the super heated air and gasses that the lava released. This would not have killed him right away and it is assumed that he was not on fire for any length of time. Normally he would have died later from infection due to impure air he would have breathed in. This is prevented by oxygen rich air that he recieved through his resporator. For these to happen to someone in real life it would probably take about the same time as in the film. The documentary never gave any account of something like this happening to a real person and from what it spoke of about how Vader would be affected in a medical way it seemed to be rather spot on with how long it would take. In all reality though if he wasnt using the force to protect himself he would have burnt out his lungs long before he got turned into the black knight from monty python.
    As for Obi Wan it can be assumed that he was using the force to protect himself. And for Padme she was on the landing deck where the heat shields were still up.

ILNP likes this.
  18. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Is Mustafar live Venus, where merely being on that planet is enough to kill you???

Where the heck are you getting information about Ben Obi-Wan-Kenobi using the Force to protect himself??? That's is not even in the EU expanded universe, or the films!!! Padme on the landing deck, the "heat shields are up"??? What? Please site your sources and give me evidence to support these wild claims. No offense, bro, I'm am not trying to insult you or to be rude, I just don't get what you are trying to say...........

Anakin died minutes after his life support suit was damaged in ROTJ. Of what, exactly???

19. Attariel

Nov 15, 2012
    I dont think Mustafar is like Venus that much aside from surface temp and the fact that there is a great deal of volcanic activity. The first scenes of Mustafar show organic creatures walking over areas of cooled lava. The comment on the heat shields being up is from observation from the film. Obi wan using the force to protect himself is speculation because they dont seem to explain the fact that his lungs would have been just as burnt as Anakins.

As to what exactly caused Anakin to die I think it was a combination of Sith lightening as it damged his body( whats left of it) and it damaged his resporator. So the lack then there of high oxygen would leave his already damaged and lets face it rather weak by this point lungs open to paricles in the air. I think the point was that it was meant to be mostly the sith lightening that kills him.

Matthew_Wolverine and ILNP like this.
  20. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What do you mean by the surface temperatue??? Being on Venus is like being inside a very, very, very, hot oven. I wouldn't, I WOULD NOT, want to be there.....:_|

How many temperature in degrees is Venus, and how many temperature in degrees is Mustafar?????

Luke had to endure Sith lightning for minutes, yet he survived. Anakin endured it for a few seconds, yet it killed him. It wasn't the Sith lightning in and of itself that killed him, it was the fact that it damaged his life support suit.....................

I always thought that the fire burned into his lungs................

21. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Mustafar is a lava planet. I'm guessing the rocks were upwards of 95 degrees, and most likely even hotter the closer you got, up to the temperature of the lava flowing around it.

The smoke damaged his lungs severely, the intense heat of being immolated with the addition of the burning chemicals and the smoke inhalation did all the damage.

22. Attariel

Nov 15, 2012
    Venus has a surface temp of 460 degrees Celsius. Over 450 degrees that of Earth. I have no clue as to what Mustafar would be for surface temp but I would estimate it would be slightly higher than Earth's 14 degrees Celsius ( these are average temperatures). Surface temp is the temp of the planet based off of readings from the surface so it does not take into account internal temp but rather the temp that is created by sun exposure and heat retention through the atmosphere. If I had to guess at Mustafars surface temp I'd place it somewere around 25-30 degrees Celsius. You wouldnt be able to be on the surface of Venus because a) the atmosphere is too thick for any Earth grade space craft to surive the landing and b) there is enough sulfiric acid in the air that you would just die. and there is no water cause its too hot for H2O to hang on to its oxygen and it seperates.

I wasnt saying that it was the sith lightning that kills Anakin in and of itself I meant that I believe it to be the main reason. The fact that Vader is at least 50% machine probably helped in his death as the lightning would be able to travel very easilly. He is only alive due to the life support that his suit provides so it makes sense that he wouldnt be able to last if it was damaged.

I dont know really on the fire in the lungs thing but it is possible that he could inhale and the flames could travel into his lungs but they would quickly go out as the flames would burn up the oxygen in his lungs. Though it would leave his lungs charred if it happened that way which seems unlikely as our organs are extreamly moist and there is a great deal of moisture in your lungs to begin with.

ILNP likes this.
  23. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    We're are using different measurment here. 460 degrees celsius is how many degrees??? 25-30 Celsius is how many degrees?? Or 14 degrees Celsius is how much in temperature, here on earth??

What flames did Anakin Skywalker inhale in? For how long? The ones in the lava river? The ones in the rocks that he got burned on? What?

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    You remember when Anakin catches fire? If he inhales at that point, some of the flames will go into his lungs.

ILNP likes this.
  25. Attariel

Nov 15, 2012
    Ok had to look this up because we dont use fahrenheit where I am but 460 celsius is 860 F and 14C is 57.6 F and 25C is 77F.
    For the flames we dont have much to go off of it appears that he might have inhaled the flames and if that was the case they would only be in his lungs for a very short time like maybe two seconds. If that is what happened then it would be the flames that were on his body after he caught fire as it was the sindged cloth of his pants that initially caught.

I still hold that it would make more sense if his lungs were damaged by the super heated air that would be around the lava. If that was the case though Obi Wan would have also had burnt lungs. I have never heard of anyone having burnt their lungs by inhaling flames that is why I dont think it was what happened. Now since this is a movie it could be that Lucas reasoned that the super heated air is only directly around the object it is radiating from. Like if you hold your finger next to a candle flame you can feel the heat but it only gets painful when you are close to it.