main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Here we go again...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Grimby , Oct 30, 2012.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    These days, when a film gets tarred with the "it had no heart" charge, I often find the charge to be baseless - and an apparent case of what psychologists call projection.

2. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    And all it takes to be considered a "fan" is to say you love ESB. I'm so tired of seeing that in the media. If there's SW or GL news, they drag on their "resident geek and super fan", always some anonymous tool with horn-rim glasses and bed-head who hates everything GL has done since 1981 and knows nothing about SW.

Cleavage / Hostess: So, you understand how these creepy SW fans think - btw the way we love Star Wars here at Super Movie News.com, just not in that scary way, y'know people who dress up like Jar Jar Binks or whatever it is they do ha ha ha (by the way please check out my Cosplay blog!!!) - so, what do crazy SW fans think of this news?

Resident Expert: Well, George Lucas is fat, the PT was an embarrassment, and I have nothing to say 'cause the last interaction I had with SW was when I was 11 and I don't actually read any science fiction or care about it.

Cleavage / Hostess: Ha ha ha ha!!! Now let's move on to some super exciting Game of Thrones news...

Fandom is a strange place these days.

3. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    "No heart" probably means it doesn't try to be too manipulative or melodramatic.

4. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
  5. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    ROTS was definitely the best 2005 SW film.

Point Given likes this.
  7. admiral_Jim

admiral_Jim Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2004
    I enjoyed the PT and thought that ROTS was by far the best of the 3 but the best out of the 6? In the words of Darth Vader himself...."Nooooooooo"

8. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    I love Weir but he's not a good SW director. Not his style at all.

9. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Weir would never do Star Wars, and probably shouldn't. He's still one of the best directors on the entire planet, though.

10. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    There are some choices that are just laughable, like they would ever be asked. Tarantino is a completely original filmmaker, in the sense that he writes his own scripts and doesn't care for derivative material, not in the sense that he doesn't borrow from past films and use his extensive knowledge of cinema to influence his stories. I love Tarantino, he's a weird, kinetic, great director with incredible dialogue whose movies are every time no less than good and sometimes great. But can you imagine HIM directing a Star Wars film?! Haha, totally the wrong feel! That's like saying Derek Jeter is a great baseball player, I wonder if he would make a good quarterback for the Jets? LOL, makes no sense. They're both athletes, but totally different things.

I can't say who would make a good director for the next film. I mean, I think I'd be an excellent selection, but you know, the whole only written and directed one movie thing (that isn't even released yet and that's tiny budget), probably going to work against me! But at least I can say that the director who is hired will be in my union this time, since Disney owns Lucasfilm and I'm almost positive that means under our collective bargaining agreement, it has to be a DGA director. If Lucasfilm were still independent, it would be a different story.

-NaTaLie- likes this.
  11. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Makes you wonder about those stipulations in the deal....

12. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Does DGA still require opening credits? Also, can it be a foreign director, who's not in DGA?

13. Dhammer1

Dhammer1 Jedi Padawan

Nov 12, 2012
    I have to admit, it has been a long time since I posted on this site as I had also forgot all my original info, and yes I have a better excuse than most as I am just north of sixty,
    having seen SW when I was a young adult and just about as old as the original cast.
    I guess I thought that it would never happen, that GL would release his grips on the franchise. I believed that until he had milked every penny he could on the redo's,
    cassettes, DVDs, remastered audio's, blue rays, 3 D's, lost scenes,found scenes, never heard of scenes that I would never see the adventure continue. (Guess everyone does
    have their price, almost 5 billion $ worked for GL)
    Now I have a whole new excitement, being able to relate to my children and grandchildren and their excitement at the news that there will be a continuing saga of SW for years to come.
    I do not really want to speculate where they will pick up the story after ROTJ, again being older, I sure would like to see the original cast in it even though they should not be
    the focal point but the bridge to the new characters that will be featured.
    Wow, it's going to be a long 3 years!!!! Let the fun begin.

14. Vicious Jedi

Vicious Jedi Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=96929
    Would J.J. Abrams Direct Star Wars: Episode VII?

Which director has interest and which has none in doing the new Star Wars movie has left the internet abuzz for the past couple of weeks. More high profile directors have said they don't want the project than shown interest and J.J. Abrams happens to fall into that camp as well. When talking to Hollywood Life about the film, he said:

"Look, Star Wars is one of my favorite movies of all time. I frankly feel that – I almost feel that, in a weird way, the opportunity for whomever it is to direct that movie, it comes with the burden of being that kind of iconic movie and series. I was never a big Star Trek fan growing up, so for me, working on Star Trek didn’t have any of that, you know, almost fatal sacrilege, and so, I am looking forward more then anyone to the next iterations of Star Wars, but I believe I will be going as a paying moviegoer!"

So we can count out a leap from Star Fleet to the Rebel Alliance for Abrams. The site also spoke to Iron Man director Jon Favreau about the project, and he seemed a little more open to the idea.

"I think both J.J. and I come from a generation of people who formed our whole creative persona around what we experienced as kids from watching those films, and I have had the good fortune of working with George [Lucas] and around George, and whether it is doing a voice on Clone Wars, or being at the Skywalker Ranch mixing Iron Man – so I have been very happy and lucky to just experience the culture that Lucas has created, both in my own life growing up as a kid and professional – whether it was interviewing him at film festivals on stage, he is just a really wonderful, talented gifted guy who has changed the business so much, so I am just giddy, first and foremost as a fan, to see what happens with it. I think there is a lot of question marks of how they are going to do it, and who they are going to do it with, and what the story is going to be about; but to say that I am not excited about it is definitely an understatement. We’ll see."

All that is known about the new films is that George Lucas will oversee as a creative consultant with writer Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire) has written a treatment for the film and will write the screenplay. Still not confirmed, however, is the rumor that Arndt's treatment includes the characters of Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo.

Star Wars: Episode VII is expected to hit theaters in 2015.

15. Schwarma

Schwarma Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    How can you decide that if he's never been given the chance?

16. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    If he was half the age he is now, possibly. But I don't see it. He's not going to bring a fresh, new, young perspective and excitement to SW. His films are cerebral, and deal with subtle emotions. He did, however, get my #1 favorite performance out of Harrison Ford:

17. My favorite Ithorian

My favorite Ithorian Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 6, 1999
    Haven't been here in a while...I checked and my last post was from 2005 and said, "Yeah, after today I'll probably be gone for a couple more years......and return when they announce they'll make Eps. VII, IIX and IX..."

So here I am. Surprised the old account still works!

18. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    This is definitely the "stoke me up" fan video you were looking for:

19. smallpaul

smallpaul Jedi Master star 3

Aug 15, 2001
    I'm out of it for a little while and everybody gets delusions of grandeur.

I'm a typical OT SW fan. Grew up on the OT. I got as hyped as anyone about the prequels. Stuck with them through the end only to realize I was disapointed. Lucas's changes to the Blu-Rays were the final straw and I've spent the last year free of Star Wars. Just when I think I'm out they pull me right back in. I'm as excited as anyone about the prospects of a SW film not writen and directed by uncle George. I truly am. Although my preference would be to let the saga end. It has a begining, middle and end. The idea of an opened universe storytelling franchise is a bit worrysome to me only in that it cheapens the magic of the existing 6 films. Not that I don't think they will be great movies. I'm sure they will be. Disney will make sure of that. I just prefer my myths to have a linear story with an ending. There will never be an ending now. There will always be an avenue to explore in the SW universe and money to be made. Is this a bad thing? No. It's just not the best thing. With all that said. I will be spoiling myself silly for the next three years and getting hyped up all over again.

thesevegetables likes this.
  20. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    When I said Peter Weir, I did it knowing he would never do it and said so in my post.

But the guy knows actors and is a classical-style director.

Plus, he directed my favorite maritime film ever, so I owe him a shout out.

But yeah, he's an old dried up geezer :p so he wouldn't be asked and likely wouldn't accept.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  21. medioCORE

medioCORE Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    I hate to interrupt the conversation currently going on about directors, but man, it feels good to be back. It's been over six years since I've last posted on these forums (under a different account), and that was right after ROTS came out. I never thought I'd get to experience the community surrounding the release of another Star Wars film ever again after 2005. Oh, sweet nostalgia and excitement (albeit somewhat cautious excitement).

Anyways, carry on.

22. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Honestly that's something I was wondering about, too. I know that the way credits are done on basically all movies, the director has to be the last one credited immediately before the film begins. They can make special exceptions, I think, if they put every credit on the back end instead but the objection with Lucas was that they deemed "Lucasfilm," his company name, not his name, to be putting only his own credit before the film. I don't think that would remain an issue considering he isn't the director, though. I could be wrong.

23. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    [wrong thread]

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  24. Dragon_eye

Dragon_eye Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2006
    So question? Does this new bought by Disney thing going into the EU direction or are they going to do their own thing?

Honestly the EU is vast since ROtJ....

25. Vicious Jedi

Vicious Jedi Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=96993

Frank Marshall Says They're Close on the Star Wars: Episode VII Director Search

Ever since it was announced a few weeks back that Walt Disney Pictures had bought Lucasfilm and that they were going ahead with producing Star Wars: Episode VII for 2015, it's pretty much been all the internet has been buzzing about, particularly who might direct the continuation of George Lucas' popular space opera.

Spotting producer Frank Marshall, husband of Lucasfilm's new president Kathleen Kennedy, at the The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 premiere last night, MTV tried getting him to talk about whether he knows who they may be approaching and his response is somewhat heartening that we'll get an answer to that burning question soon.

"I do (know) but I can't reveal it, or I won't be alive tomorrow," he said. "I'm really excited about this. I didn't grow up with it, but I was a big fan and have been since the series started. I'll always remember seeing that big mothership go over the screen. I've never forgotten it. I can't wait to see what's next."

He did tell them that they've narrowed the search down to "a couple of candidates" as well, but not when they'll be announcing their choice to the public. You can watch the video of Marshall's response at MTV.

Meanwhile, Erik Davis, editor-in-chief at Movies.com, gave an impassioned suggestion that Jurassic Park III and Captain America: The First Avenger director Joe Johnston should be hired to direct the first Star Wars movie in ten years, and Mike Ryan from The Huffington Post followed up on that suggestion by asking Johnston himself what he thought of that idea.

Johnston told him: "A lot would depend on what 'it' is. I am very glad to see Lucasfilm cranking up to get productive again, regardless of who ends up doing it."

Star Wars Episode VII is scheduled for release in 2015.