main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What could make this trilogy better than the last?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jason79, Nov 8, 2012.

1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Some of the books are decent. However, most of them just rehash the same old Jedi vs. Sith storyline. Just having more than just two Sith as the villains would be uncreative because we already have that. Enough is enough. We need more focus on the Sun Guard or the Maladians. Why not a faction that hates all Force-users? Now that would be interesting.

Also, even if the new trilogy were to prove that Vader's sacrifice was only meant to bring balance at that point in time, it still would cheapen his sacrifice. He kills Palpatine and... the Sith magically return like they always have because the writers can't take the time to think of any other villain. Why should the audience care if the villains don't die? If you want to see more Jedi vs. Sith bull****, just play Star Wars: The Old Republic or wait till they decide to make a trilogy of movies a thousand years before the Rise of Darth Vader. Never mind the fact that most fans on the internet don't want the Sith as villains to begin with. Also the "light cannot exist without darkness" bull**** is philosophy, not a law.

I don't know about you, but the Star Wars galaxy is too small. With billions of planets circling around a core, you'd think that there was more cultures, factions, races, and planets to explore. But unfortunately, a lot of EU authors seem intent on watering the universe down to simply Jedi vs. Sith.

Furthermore, you're forgetting that some of the best books don't have the Sith in them(such as the Thrawn trilogy).

And yes, having the Sith(same threat to the galaxy for the last couple thousand years now) involved is uncreative. As for the Jedi, they shouldn't go away completely because they show the spiritual side of Star Wars but I wouldn't have a trilogy all about them.

2. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    They don't need to be better. They just need to fit with the whole story. :)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    I agree. If this is a true continuation of what's come before, I'm hoping that the ramifications of the previous two trilogies will be explored in some way. What would it mean to the GFFA if the average citizen believed that the Jedi did in fact betray the Old Republic? It wasn't discussed much in the OT, since they were thought to be extinct. But if they were to return...
    I'm sure there were many worlds quite content under Imperial rule, and saw the Rebellion as something that dragged them back into a war they wanted no part of. And what happens when they find out that the person who destroyed the Empire is the son of the poster boy of oppression, one Darth Vader?
    I think they'll be hard pressed to put their trust in either of the siblings, honestly.
    This is Star Wars after all, so we need to see some sort of desperate conflict with the fate of the Galaxy hanging in the balance. Whether that's Jedi and Sith or something else entirely...who knows?
    Looking forward to whatever happens. ;)

4. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    On top of all that, let's not forget that a lot of the wars that have taken place in the Star Wars galaxy have happened because of the Jedi and the Sith. On top of all that, the first Sith were originally Jedi. So the citizens of the New Republic could see the Jedi as the main reason for all the galaxy's troubles. Food for thought.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    When they don't have a Sith, they usually have a Dark Jedi instead. Cases where the villain is not a Force-user, and doesn't have a Force-user as a major supporting character, are rare- The New Jedi Order series is one of the most notable, with the Yuuzhan Vong as the villains.

6. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Hmm, maybe so, but the trilogy did present a villain that didn't have to be a Force user to be badass as well as interesting.
    [​IMG]

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    True- the Force-user in that was, while important, arguably the "support villain" rather than "main villain".

Still- he was the one whom all the main characters had to unite against to destroy- Chewie, Lando, Luke, Leia, new characters Mara Jade & Talon Karrde. Whereas Thrawn got killed by his own bodyguard.

8. Alderaan Luke

Alderaan Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    What i liked about the Rebels vs. Empire thing of the OT, is that the Jedi/Sith were only a very limited number of guys. But the war was between humans.

Too many Jedis and it gets boring. Too many Siths and it gets boring.

9. Watcher07

Watcher07 Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2012
    A good script, an experienced director & good actors like in the OT.

10. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    No Jar Jar

No politics

Minimum cgi

Good actors

The Empire!!

Alien suits still look better than cgi

No Hayden...ugh!

Good script!

etc etc etc

11. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I honestly hated that duel! The dialogue at the start was great, but the fight itself was horrible. Force jumping around in the middle of a lava river?? The worst over-use of cgi in the whole series. It should have been more personal than that...

It should have been like obi vs maul

12. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I remember watching the prequels in the cinemas and actually feeling embarrassed for the first time in my life that I was a fan! Star Wars used to be really cool. Even a few really hot chicks I knew loved it...

Some of the Anakin/Padem scenes I was literally sinking into my chair... I mean, how do these horribly acted scenes actually make it into the film??? Where were the people around Lucas to say "No. This is terrible George!"

Haha I can't believe the prequels still get to me the way they do! Here's hopeing the S.T make Star Wars cool again!

Wookiee_Vader and The_Hellhammer like this.
  13. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Isn't this thread just yet another excuse to back the PT against a wall and throw rocks at it?

Krueger likes this.
  14. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    It's not a living entity.

This thread is about how Star Wars can get back to the way people USED to feel about it.

15. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004

Well, it shouldn't be, but a few unscrupulous posters have definitely used it as an excuse to do just that.

LawJedi likes this.
  16. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    No... We are saying that the mistakes that were made in the PT should not be made in the ST, simple as that. And you can't deny that there were mistakes in the PT, whether you like the films or not.

17. Breebel

Breebel Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 4, 2012
    The "problem" with the PT was exactly the reason why Lucas started with the OT in the first place - it was all the necessary, boring backstory needed to understand what the motivations of all the characters were when we meet them in ANH. He tried his best to 'spice them up', but in the end it was always going to fall flat because it was meant to be the machinations that occur before all-out war. And since the PT was meant to be about Anakin's fall to the darkside, Lucas HAD to show Anakin as a young kid with his mother to explain the reason why, after he left her young in TPM and he lost her in AOTC, he would do anything to save Padme in ROTS. If he had gone with a teenager, like most fanboys wanted, the chances are he would have been old enough to deal with grief properly, rather than still being an emotional child (which is my take on why Anakin acts the way he does in the PT). I agree about the dialogue though - that was painful, and it comes from someone who can write stories instead of screenplays - there are somethings that look great in a novel, but when you actually go to say them...

With the ST, we don't have that problem of being pigeon-holed into trying to explain the events that are going to happen later, so the writers can spread their wings a bit. And as real life shows us, just because you 'win' a war with one battle, doesn't mean the enemy are just gonna lay down and accept it. There's all sorts of places they can take it - power vaccuum, leading to a struggle for control...remnants of the Empire using guerilla tactics the same way the Rebel Alliance did....a group of the new Jedi choosing the dark path and dusting off the Sith code...

In short, there has to be SOME tie in with the Skywalkers, but this has to be the easiest slam dunk in history. I mean, these are the first movies that have an established universe that the writers can literally do ANYTHING with (and yes, they can ignore the mostly bad EU. I don't know why anyone would care about those things...they were only EVER filler until the movies were made).

18. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012

Just throwing it out there to Disney...

19. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    The problem with the PT was that it failed on a human level. no more, no less.

20. Jeff Vader

Jeff Vader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    We need more cowbell

21. honeybadger

honeybadger Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 4, 2012
    Yoda force ghost fart: producing a repugnant green fug that causes all in it's path to projectile vomit. A fearsome weapon against those wearing helmets.

22. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Exactly what does that mean? Too many aliens?

23. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    If the new trilogy has these things then I think it would be on the right track.

1) Likable characters. Sure the main character might be a whiner, as main characters are want to do, but make him a sympathetic whiner. Also surround him with a cast that we can relate to, admire, or root for.
    2) Dialogue that actual humans would use. Nothing takes you out of the immersive environment of a Galaxy Far Far Away as well as a cringeworty line of dialogue, especially if it is between characters that are supposed to be intimately and deeply connected.
    3) Performances that surpass that of your average daytime soap opera
    4) Duels that are both emotionally resonant and spectacular without back-flipping into ridiculousness
    5) Tighter pacing, exclude any extraneous scenes and carve as much fat as is necessary to provide a rip-roaring action/adventure film that still maintains the philosophical underpinnings and heart that is a great asset to any SW film
    6) More non-jedi, don't want a Han clone, nobody could rival Ford for that archetype anyways, I'd just like to see how the other 99.99999999999999999999999% are doing.
    7) Make the grunts who work for the antagonist feel threatening, more brutal efficient Uruk-Hai less wimpy occasionally funny battle droid. Hell they could even be occasionally competent.
    8) Make the Jedi badass. As seen when Vader effortlessly dealt with Han, orthodox enemies should stand no chance against a fully trained force user.
    9) Make the Jedi standout. Evolve past the generic, and quite frankly boring, brown robes. Jedi should wear whatever the hell they want and a lightsaber should be the only identifier they need. Luke in V and VI had awesome fashion sense and it was a great way to subtly give a narrative on his state of mind.
    10) By it's very nature the ST has an openness that the Prequels lacked, we have no idea where this story will end up which adds a great amonut of excitement

24. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    It means the emotional impact of the characters' conflicts was lacking. For example, I never bought that Kenobi & Anakin could even stand each other, let alone share love & respect. Therefore, when it all came down at the end of Episode III, it was nowhere near as heartwrenching as it should have been. None of the charcters' relationships with each other seemed genuine. That's what the OT had in spades & that's why the prequels were so poorly received. They didn't have "it".

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  25. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    While I think the friendship should have been better developed (and there were other missed opportunities like that), I still felt moved by some other moments (Anakin leaving his mother, Ruminations, etc.). So I don't think it was a complete failure.