main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Would you be fine with one of the OT characters dying in Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by InterestingLurker, Nov 10, 2012.

1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    The reaction to Chewie's death was bad enough. Imagine the sheer amount of butthurt there will be from fans if Michael Arndt decides to off Han Solo?

It's a rather scary idea.

2. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    If anyone is going to be offed, I think its gonna be Luke.

I can picture him getting cut down the same way Obi-Wan was in Episode IV.

3. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Actually I think it will be Han that dies. That's my opinion.

4. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    In response to thread title: Yes.
    Enough with the character shields.

5. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Well, if they want to continue Star Wars beyond the new trilogy, then they are going to have to find ways to bring these characters arcs to a close, and that may be by killing one of them off. I could see Han Solo having an awesome heroic death, especially since Ford is getting old, and he may not want to do all three movies, if it's gonna take another 8 or 9 years to do. I wouldn't want Luke to die in the same way Obi-wan did, because it would be too cheesey and predictable if they tried to mirror prior characters and plot points too exactly. They could kill him off in a way that is similar thematically, but not in a light saber duel with the big baddie where he lets himself get killed :)

6. swarm87

swarm87 Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2012
    chewbacca , drop a planet on him

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  7. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    I really doubt it would be Arndt's choice to kill a main character. IF someone dies, Arndt's job will probably be to flesh out HOW he dies.
    I'm fine with a OT character's death, as long as it's a surprise.
    besides, it's not like they won't be revived in the EU anyway. :rolleyes:

the_sinister_hologram likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There are ways that characters can die other than "being off'ed." See: Yoda.

Yes, I'm fine with it, in fact, it would solve the NJO and LOTF problem of everyone getting off'ed but the Big Three.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  9. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I'd be fine with Luke dying like Obi-Wan Kenobi, because he'd come back as a Force Ghost.

10. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    If HF requires a deth to return then I have no problem with it.

In fact, in order for this trilogy to introduce dire conflict I would expect some characters to die.

11. Uncle Owen

Uncle Owen Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 1999
    I fully expect Han, and perhaps Leia, to die in the first film. I don't think that Ford would sign on for more than one, his death on film would probably be part of his contract. He had wanted to be killed off in the OT. I really only expect Luke to appear in all three of the ST movies, and probably as a Force Ghost in the last one.

12. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    As fine as I am about NASA airbrushing out UFOS in space photos .

13. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    that's no moon...

14. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Not only would I be OK with it...I'm expecting it. If the Big Three all commit I'd be very surprised if any of them made it to IX, except maybe Luke. As long as none of them go out in a stupid way -like, say dropping a freaking moon on them -that's perfectly fine. The OT characters have had their adventures. I'd cry for Han and Leia and definitely Chewie, and I can gaurentee I'd bawl seeing Luke die...but it would be far worse for a new, young character to die. It kills both potential heroes and potential future storylines.

15. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Something tells me I should be ready to let go of my attachment to Luke as I've a nagging feeling he may die. To be honest, though, I think someone probably should go and as I imagine it would only serve to greatly enhance the story, I'm okay with that.

Still, there's something about the character of Luke Skywalker that I see heading off at the comclusion of the sequel trilogy to a future unknown, other than it will be in service to the Force. And I like that.

16. Uncle Owen

Uncle Owen Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 1999
    If Luke dies, the character will carry on though since he will no doubt have Force Ghost ability. When the others go, they're done. Sad but true. As long as they go out with dignity and heroically, I'm fine.

17. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I'll be "fine" with anything. Know why? It's a freaking movie.

Echo-07 likes this.
  18. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Yes. LOL

19. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Well, sure, but where's the fun in that? :)

20. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Absolutely.
    Provided they're the age the original actors are now - or maybe even older . Point is that I' want them to have had their lives and properly 'passed on what they've learned' . Actually, the entire ST should be a testimony that they have...

I hope to see Han steer the Falcon into battle and save the day. Luke and Leia could hang on to save a couple of days more maybe they wouldn't even have to die in battle but just sit down and become one with the Force...

As firmly as I've been against Luke dying in the EU novels, as ready am I to see him pass away in a ST. I don't want to see his story recast before we've seen his heriatge carried on by a new generation, hopefully with a supporting crew consisting of Mark Hamill & co

21. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Sure better then letting Del Rey do it.

22. ender2k

ender2k Jedi Master star 1

Sep 22, 2004
    I think Luke's death is the easiest to sell as acceptable on screen, but I could dig Leia passing away peacefully with her children around her after passing on her wisdom. I imagine Han and Chewie will be given the opportunity to make Bruce Willis-in-Armageddon type of heroic sacrifices on behalf of the younger generation.

23. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012

Now why in the world would you bring up that flick? To celebrate Hollywood at its cheesiest? Just shoot me already.

24. wookieepotpie

wookieepotpie Jedi Master star 1

Jul 5, 2002
    Wipe them out. All of them.

25. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Wipe them out....