main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Out of Bounds (The ELL OOC Thread)

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Trieste, Sep 2, 2012.

1. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    Like I said I'm getting as much out of this as I can:p

2. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    That's true.

And I think I jinxed myself by not playing the Senators. :p

3. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    Not the Monarchs :p

Sent from a Galaxy far away via R2-N6

4. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    Hey, you have to go to JediMaster_1977 to undefeated Euceron. I recommend that you bring shorts and Hawaiian shirts. It's going to be balmy there this time next week. :D

--EDIT--

Wait, no you don't. Onderon does. So now that goes for you Teegirloo . JM, you're going to Nadiem so when you're there definitely talk about how manufacturing jobs really aren't needed anymore. We have droids for that. ;)

5. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Someone in the Skywalker Conference is going to be very happy by this time next week. :p

And I've noticed that the die roller seems to think that this is opposite season. All four of the playoff teams/players from last year are at the bottom of their conferences. :p

6. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Who knows what kind of forecast I'll come up with for Week 7 and the Chiefs. [face_thinking]

I'm actually surprised that more of you have not used weather in your own posts. The weather can have a large impact on outdoor sporting events. Different planets have different climates, and the difference can help reinforce home-field advantages as the opponent isn't used to the weather you work with daily.

And that retractable roof? Don't expect to rely on it. [face_mischief]

7. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I use weather conditions here and there, but not religiously like you do. ;)

And how can I change weather conditions when I'm on the road?

Lastly, the Solo Conference is only doing badly because all five teams were on the road this week. :p

8. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Hey, I won. I'm the only team holding this conference afloat! :p

9. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Oh, I'm sure conference play will get things going. [face_mischief]

10. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    Actually, I keep intending for it to rain more on Bakura during games, mainly because Bakura is a famously wet planet. As in one of the first things that they mention on Wookieepedia is Princess Leia's comment that Bakura reminded her of a wetter version of Alderaan.

Except I live in California and I forget that it rains other places because...

11. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    My One Chance for a Sorta-Coulda-Should GM Post: :D

Trieste and I have been discussing the possibility of including the Hall of Fame more in our game. The Elite League has been around for a long time in-game, and there aren't that many names enshrined there right now. So we had a thought: we should start adding new names to the list.

My possibility:

We do what most professional leagues do these days and have an annual Induction Class of names. Thus, we'd have 4-7 people, for example, have their names added to the list every year. Most of the names right now would come from the histories of the older teams, with newer names being added as we go along since most of us have only played less than a decade of in-game time.

What to Do to Get Your Players/Coaches/GMs/Concession Stand Workers Into the Hall:

We don't have any system in place for this idea, but it would probably involve a system of campaigning for your people. Adding their names to a list and writing about how great they were for the organization, what they did in the community, etc. (basically what the HoF in RL do for their nominees). We'd then take names out of those eligible and then add them to the HoF list. I think we could do this every season since there is so much backstory that we could fill in.

So Discuss Away!

12. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    First thought: 4 to 7 may work for real-life leagues with 30-32 teams and a lot of candidates, but the Elite League has only 8-10 teams at any given time and thus correspondingly fewer potential candidates. I think trying to do even four every year would be a stretch at best. Given the size of the ELL, I would limit it to just one or two per season.

Otherwise, I like the concept. :D

CPL_Macja and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  13. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Maybe for new teams, but Liam, Trieste and I have over a hundred years of players we can fill in with. [face_devil]

But I get where you're coming from.

Or, here's what we can do: we add several names to the list as is (the players who would have been inducted a long time ago) right now, and then add newer players every season. This would allow the playing field to be a bit more fair, since most teams in the league don't have a lot of back history in the Elite League to work with, while others have long-standing franchises (the Senators have existed for over 300 years, so there would be many more eligible players for my squad than a new team like Onderon would have who's only been around for a few seasons).

14. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Yeah the Mercs are pretty new, they won't have anyone in the Hall for awhile.

By the way jcgoble3, just what was the weather like for the low scoring Mercs/Storm matchup?

[​IMG]

15. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I'd be a fan of having 2- 4 being a general Induction class size every season depending on how many eligible players we have. There are going to be some slam-dunk players in this regard, and don't the pro leagues occasionally have different class sizes depending on how their votes turn out?

16. JM_1977

May 23, 2011
    Zeke's dad is in the Hall of Fame if I remember right

17. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    The forecast here was dead-on: 21°C (70°F), sun, and no rain. Basically, I went easy on you this week. Don't get used to it. :p

18. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Here I was giving you a chance to say the weather folks blew the forecast and we had a foot of snow on the pitch! :p

Thanks, I will get to work on a post for that game soon. ;)

[​IMG]

19. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    He is. ;) You are correct.

20. JM_1977

May 23, 2011
    So what's this talk about the Hall of Fame?

21. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    A check of several Wikipedia articles indicates that most do, though the NASCAR Hall of Fame classes are fixed at five inductees per class. So there's precedent to go both ways (variable and fixed).

We're discussing adding more inductees (beyond what we did on the temp boards) on an in-game annual basis.

Now as to my own idea about this: Hold two separate votes for inductees (both can be done simultaneously). One will represent the actual vote by the media or whoever in-game is voting at that time to determine the current year's induction class. The other is a purely OOC vote in which we select historical players, coaches, etc. from before this RPG was started, thereby "revealing" some of the older inductees (the idea being that those people were already inducted to begin with and we're just revealing the fact that they're there). That enables us to balance out the newer inductees with older ones. Does that make sense?

Trieste and CPL_Macja like this.
  22. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    That's an interesting idea. I like it.

23. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
  24. Dubya_Scott

Dubya_Scott Jedi Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    I also like the idea.

25. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Looks like we've come up with our answer.

Good job, everyone. :D