main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lucasfilm Confirms: Michael Arndt To Write Screenplay For Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diggs, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    Okay. [face_plain]

FinleySlade likes this.
  2. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I think most of these issues depend on execution. Do I think we'll see Qui-Gon? No. But I liked the character and I feel his VO in ROTS should have stayed. I'm not necessarily against much happening so long as Arndt and the rest of the cast and crew find a way to make it work. The OT is full of concepts that could have gone badly wrong had the execution not been spot on (Yoda being a prime example).

TreborSabreon likes this.
  3. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I can understand why you don't want to see Hayden Christensen, but you don't want to see Liam ************* Neeson? Are you crazy!?

Sinre Edit: Star out the word.

spoooooky likes this.
  4. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    Gobsmacked, so I am... :eek:

5. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012

First time?

6. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    It says in the opening scroll the issue is over taxation but I think your over thinking the point a little - doesn't really matter at all what the trade dispute is about - Lucas simply needed a mcguffin for the siege.

He doesn't - ordering the Federation to kill the Jedi and later Maul to capture Amidala, would suggest, Palpatine never wanted the Queen anywhere near Coruscant and the Senate. He simply adjusted his plan to suit the situation.

Yes, Sidious plan all along.

There was a fairly prominent fight at the end of the movie.

And to fair TCW has a lot more time to develop the political plots. The important points get covered in the movies.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  7. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    To each their own, my friend.

I don't put much faith in awards and the like. Right crock of back rubbing and self adulation.

And I don't believe in luck ;)

8. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    You know what's more boring than the story to TPM? Reading posts of fans explaining the story of TPM in Star Wars forums. I thought this thread was about the writer of EP7?

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Yes, it has gone somewhat astray. Let's focus on the topic, not the plots of prior films.

10. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    I don't get the whole way of thinking that calling a film a "kid's movie" is somehow dismissing it - not referring to you here, Hellhammer, as I get that you are reacting to an earlier comment.

The Pixar movies are kid's movies.

Children are the target audience.

I don't get how the genre label is deemed an insult.

11. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Agreed, though I still don't get how TPM "seems" more complicated.

12. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Who are the "experts"?

Do you mean critics?

What makes those guys experts?

13. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    To be honest I don't really get why it's considered a negative thing either. Pixar's movies are kids movies, but for the most part also feature another "layer" of humor and jokes that kids won't even detect but will get a laugh or two out of the adults in the audience - which is a great way to make a story work for everyone.

I guess in today's world of gritty reboots a kid's movie is a bad thing.

I do admit that I sometimes use a similar term myself, when refering to a needlessly watered down story so that it would be more "kiddie friendly."
    For example, replacing police guns with walkie talkies in ET or cutting out half a second of an Imperial officer being hit in ANH or that whole TCW business with forcing them to censor words like "damn" or "hell"
    That's just taking a bit too far in my view...

14. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    I have made no such assumptions. I was merely stating my point of view and directly responding to a discussion on whether children understood certain aspects of TPM.

I never said you did say that kids couldn't understand it - I was merely giving an example that to illustrate that I don't agree the politics of the Prequels are overly complex. I don't find the issue likewise the TCW, have been pleasantly surprised again and again with the depth and development of such issue, e.g. the terrorism/freedom fighter aspect of the recent Onderon arc (something I'd love explored in more depth and an ongoing basis in a Rebellion era animated series withy Luke and co.). I have to younger nephews who have had to be weened of TCW due to the dark tone it has taken.

I didn't know there was. I'll have to look that up on the Googles. :cool:

Yes, but our conversation was about the politic story lines in TPM and whether kids understood them or whether they were too complex.

I think we agree that some do and some don't - or it may be more accurate to say it isn't an issue for them at all.

It seems to be the same with adults.

I just don't see how the political machinations are as complicated as some suggest - not you, I have heard it many times - but I never seem to get an answer as to what is is that is considered complicated.

I get the impression that your last paragraph refers to other elements of the TPM. Each of the films is filled with complex ideas and themes, but we were only talking about the politics in TPM.

15. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Dude, that shouldn't be used by anybody :eek:

Plus, anyone who tried would be a Loki copycat.

16. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Assuming anyone actually knows what that means, pretty old swearing.

17. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    I don't see how - I can't imagine Lucas thought anyone would care about the details of the taxation dispute when choose that and it is never stated or implied that Sidious foresaw the Jedi escaping to Naboo and Amidala getting to Coruscant.

He says he wants the Jedi dead and Maul to find Amidala and return her to Naboo. There is no reason to think he wants anything but that.

It therefore becomes clear that her arrival has altered his plans and he acts accordingly.

As was mentioned in one of the director's threads, Lucas isn't the kind of storyteller who feels the need to to hammer home every detail - e.g. none of the movie ever mention the passage of time in hyperspace and nowhere in TESB is it explained that story happens over a number of weeks/months and not the hours or days that the film seems to suggest.

18. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Pretty much everyone wants to leave the cinema when the flick is over ;)

19. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    To each their own.

Superhero movies are about the good guy fighting a villain who wants money, power and world domination.

Batman for the most part is more a detective thriller type thing - the story would still work if Wayne didn't wear a costume - but the masked vigilante and rogue's gallery add something more to it. I never really seen Batman as being a good fit with the Justice League.

I don't see it as being "deeper" than Marvel. They are about different ideas.

Not every hero needs to be dark and brooding. I'm hoping Man of Steel avoids this.

I have to say though that TDKR is the weakest of the three for me. Especially for one reason though I can't say why as it is a spoiler. That being said though, the Batman trilogy at it weakest is better than a lot of other movies by far.

But Avengers was just fantastic.

20. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012

I wouldn't say it is "another layer" - they are just so wonderfully crafted in their entirity . :)

21. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012

I actually did, but I haven't been able to remember why or how.:confused:

22. cbagmjg

Jul 12, 2006
    Whether or not kids understood the politics in TPM is not the question you should be asking. It's whether they gave 2 sh**s about it in general. My guess is 99% of them went back to playing with their toys or video games until the looooong political scenes were over.

23. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    They were probably interested in the scenery, as I was when I first saw TPM and didn't know half the time what was going on :p

24. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I just watched Toy Story 3 for the first time. Great movie, entertaining, retains the magic of the first two and stays faithful to some really beloved characters. Any writer that can handle that while also being able to handle Little Miss Sunshine has a vote of confidence from me. This should be interesting.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  25. cbagmjg

Jul 12, 2006
    My favorite Jar Jar moment in TPM had to be when he says "WEESA GOIN' HOME" because it signaled they were getting the hell off Coruscant.

Padme501st likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.