main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    Exactly what I was going to say.

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I just had a thought; the villains of the ST could be the old Jedi. Some survive, and emerge, looking to repeat the mistakes of the old Order. They seek to recreate a Republic that has not grown, and to censure Luke as an example of a poor Jedi but an excellent weapon. Thoughts?

darth fluffy and LawJedi like this.
  3. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Sure, but that raises the question: what were they doing with their thumbs up their behinds for decades? But more importantly, if there are any serious philosophical differences between the old and new Jedi Orders, then having the old dogs around could be awkward. "Wait, we can marry now? Thanks Luke!"

4. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah, but having all these Jedi popping out of the wordwork diminishes the gravity and dire situtaion the Rebels faced in the OT.

5. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Whoa, you have something there.

6. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    Yes, there should be Sith. There haven't been a single SW movie without Sith, and I see no reason to start now. The Jedi will need a believable adversary.
    This won't be a movie for the diehard fans alone, and I'm pretty sure the masses fully expect more Jedi vs Sith. To many people, that's what Star Wars is about.
    They can make spin-off movies and tv shows to focus on other parts of/stories from the galaxy. It makes no sense, in my opinion, to finish the "trilogy trilogy" without the most iconic part of the whole brand.

7. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Yoda tells Luke "When gone am I....last of the Jedi will you be" - seems pretty definitive!

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Unless they're going to retcon the whole Chosen One storyline--which would be OK with me since I never liked it anyway, but would be a pain in the ass--then no, no Sith. Pretty sure the Jedi can have other enemies.

9. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    Maybe they have already fallen to the dark side by that point, so what he told him was true, from a certain point of view.
    Not saying I want that to happen, but it's not impossible. Worse things have been altered in SW history.

10. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The thing is to keep it from becoming overly complicated.

Old Jedi with some arcane agenda smacks of EU. I offered my idea only as an example of how existing dialogue could be used to allow for elements extending organically from the existing 6 films to exist.

The antagonists have to have motivations as strong and central to their character as the heroes. So, if the Skywalkers are a family saga, make the antagonists also a family; if the heroes are rebuilding the Republic, give the antagonists an equally strong but opposite ideal to believe in; the heroes are users of the Light Side, you be sure have among the antagonists users of the Dark Side etc. That's how I would develop the germ of the story.

So you can have mirroring scenes, parallels between the two stories. That's how I always write this stuff. Then you have opponents who can, to a certain degree, anticipate each other's moves, and it becomes a game of chess; but what's motivating the "game" isn't as as simple as a lust for power or a fanatical belief, it has to be organic, the way Luke's surrender was motivated by his compassion, and need to believe that he himself would not turn to the Dark Side, so he had to see that in his father.

In the PT you came to understand Anakin's motives and you could feel empathy for him, if not sympathy; in the OT, Lucas continues that story. Now they have to create a similar strong line connecting the protagonists and antagonists. Instead of actually having them be related, I would simply have them mirror each other. Gradually, with each scene, driving the wedge in, until two possible allies become sworn enemies. Then you have two sides in irreconcilable conflict but your'e able to create audience empathy and emotion from both sides in the audience. Unlike Anakin & Obi, where the relationship was basically forced, have it be an unlikely alliance that works at first, then falls apart under strain. So at first you're cheering Luke on, like the heroes of Buddhist and Hindu epic, who convert demons and monsters, then you watch in horror as his enlightened intentions end up letting the serpent into the garden, so to speak.

11. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    I would love this. She's become an awesome character in the Clone Wars series and it would be great to see a live action portrayal. Especially since her role in AOTC never panned out and the status of the live action series is up in the air.

12. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I wouldn't mind seeing the sith again - use Korriban. Have the tombs of the sith.

Either have the New jedi seek out Korriban and have them awaken ancient sith
    Or find a secret sith army that is ready to invade
    Or have an ancient sith master that was pulling sidious's strings all along

13. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    Only the Sith army idea seems viable. It would allow for plenty of lightsaber action and it would present a unique threat not yet seen on the big screen. Instead of the Sith being behind the scenes, they would be an in your face enemy that would not try to corrupt the Republic/Empire/New Republic/whatever... they'd be aiming for it's destruction.

Korriban has pretty much been used up over the course of 5000 years, plus Jedi seem to have the monopoly on the Force Ghost-type thing.

An ancient sith pulling Sidious' strings... HELL NO! Palpatine needs to remain the major villain of the PT/OT, a genuine machiavellian mastermind. I think it would be a workable retcon to make him the imbalance in the force, thus the Chosen One prophecy can be fulfilled while we are able to enjoy further hijinks from the Sith quarter.

14. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Korriban has not been used on the big screen AT ALL. It will be new to all the casual movie goers

15. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Star Wars without Sideous is like the turtles without Shredder. Over a decade ago, the turtles had their own real-life TV show on Fox, but the antagonist wasn't Shredder, it was these aliens or monsters, & the turtles were acting too silly. I hope that Disney does not make the same mistakes that the Turtles made.

16. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    There's always some Sith somewhere or other, but the spotlight should be taken off them.

17. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Boba was ten years old in Attack of the Clones, while Luke and Leia were born following a three-year long war, making making Boba thirteen years older than Luke and Leia. As has been stated, the accepted lore in Star Wars publishing is that with medical and technological advances unheard of in our galaxy, life expectancy (at an average of 140 standard years) is nearly twice what we know on Earth presently. Our heroes are living in a world where 80 is the new 40.

I agree that extra-galactic visitors and Lumiya are not what I'm looking forward to.

18. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I'd love to see Korriban on the big screen, given a compelling enough reason for us to be taken there.

19. artooo

artooo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    It's tough. Sith are a part of Star Wars and the quintessential villians to the Jedi, but it's not hard imagining a film without them considering how big and diverse the Star Wars reality is.

Oh yeah, and theres that whole "bringing balance to the Force" thing..............unless you look at balance as bringing the numbers of jedi and sith closer to each other by taking out a ton of Jedi and eliminating the Sith who believed in "there only being two Sith". Since there cannot be light without dark. I could accept that........"from a certain point of view" ;)

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Balance of the Force, not balance of the Force-users.

21. artooo

artooo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    But don't Force users affect the balance of the Force? "I feel a disturbance in the Force" being caused by a user etc.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    A disturbance is not the same as imbalance.

23. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    For someone who enjoyed the prequel trilogy, the whole plot point of making Anakin into this Messianic-like figure had to be one of the more stupider ideas, even more so than Midichlorians. To hell with the whole "Balance of the Force" & the whole "Chosen One bringing balance to it" prophecy, I say.

In other words, yes, bring back the Sith.

24. Qual

Qual Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2009
    Maybe in the ST. Not in VII though. A Jedi can fall in VII and form the basis for the Sith coming back, but if we're meant to accept that the Sith just roll up fully formed 30-odd (or however many it ends up being) years after Palpatine dies and say "guess who back!", I would be pretty unhappy.

Star Wars is a big sandbox. You can have a meaningful lightsaber duel without trashing the events of the OT by rushing back the Sith. Luke's struggle means bugger all if it only gives the galaxy a few decades respite from the Big Bads of the Galaxy.

25. VonDan

VonDan Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 4, 2012
    I think it will be Princess Polly Palpatine from JEDI CHICKS. With either her original Body guard Darth Vada (with new robo legs after that light dagger limbo attack from the Jedi Pattywon) or the New Darth Molly. With Tarkin's Nephew Sub Moff Tarkin

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.