main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What if Episode VII bombs?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Chaos123x, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm glad this board has a comedian. Sometimes we take this too seriously. After all, it is fiction. LOL

JainaSoloYJK and The_Hellhammer like this.
  2. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    comedian? Stop flaming. You want to see what you want, I want to see what I want. Name calling is not the way to participate in this discussion. Until more info is released I will speculate my ideas just like other people. This is my final post to you. Fall back.

3. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Sorry, I wasn't flaming. I just find humor in your posts. No offense intended.

4. FloydB1Kenobi

FloydB1Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    All time Adjusted to Inflation: TPM #16, ATOC #87, ROTS #60 ANH #2, ESB #12, ROTJ #15
    Those are more important numbers. The value of star wars apart from ROTS has been decreasing with inflation.
    Another thing to consider is the production budget vs. income, and there's your total revenue.

Now if it doesn't do well enough to produce a profit, Disney will have to find another way to use star wars to their advantage, i.e. TV series, advertising and merchandising. If none can produce a profit, then Disney has to accept they made a bad investment.

5. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    Budget will probably be somewhere around 200-300 million I'd guess based on what other movies are spending with a lot of CGI but Lucas always saved some money because me owned the company that was making a lot of the special effects for Hollywood, now ILM goes with Star Wars so it's not like a lot of it will be outsourced. Yes it still costs money because you pay peoples salaries to work but you aren't paying the outsourced price.

Plus we are just looking at domestic totals here and that doesn't even begin to tell the whole story. 300 Million probably would be a overall bad number domestically but would "break them even" then the 500 million over seas would be net..

So again, yes not as many people saw ROTS as did ANH or even TPM but AOTC and ROTS still made tons of net profits for Lucasfilm. So again, I think it's still stretching it A LONG way to consider the movie could bomb or not turn a significant product.

While your point illustrates that some people were disenchanted with Episode I and didn't return to see the other two prequels in theater, I don't think it presents near enough fact to even consider "at this point" that Disney won't make significant money off each movie's production. Now it will take them a while to make back 4 billion but just off each movie, I really don't even see how I'm still talking about this. lol

Also a Star Wars movie has never opened simultaneously in 3D. And while everyone on here including myself can say how much we don't enjoy 3D, it is obviously figuring into these records being shattered lately and it's a good bet they'll be looking to do the ST in 3D.

Could it under perform? Sure but under performing and bombing/losing money are two different things. The Chronicles of Riddick bombed.

6. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Star Wars is an action movie & should cast actors who can perform the required ACTION.

7. FloydB1Kenobi

FloydB1Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    Actually with rising prices you have less people going to the movies not because of being disenfranchised by said movie, but household budgets have been more constraint with it. And yes I agree, I should have said as far as with the decreasing with inflation, both brought in a profit which is true, but by the pattern the profit margin for each film has been decreasing. I don't think 7-9 will fall too far from ROTS's profit margin if it does, I hope it will do better. But really the likeliness this is a bad investment isn't likely at right now. I think for maximum profit the film needs to be geared towards all fan bases as best as possible. There will be those who don't like it. And let's face it the OT is hard to live up to either way.

I also don't think it was the fact that people were disenfranchised and wouldn't go see the PT, but rather repeat viewings have been on a down turn throughout all of cinema and it has an effect on releases, especially since they're generally on DVD/Blu Ray with in 6 months now, and on HBO or other in less than a year, so what's the point of going to the cinema when you can watch movies cheaper at home.

Really they will make profits none the less, but they will need to find other ways to make money if Theatrical Releases aren't going to cut it for the franchise.

And I think adding 3D, enhanced other BS for a higher price is also hurting cinema since it's hurting a movies Sales Revenue, but better for movie theaters for getting paid more for doing less, it's a win lose situation.

The Media Market is changing that's all. There are many possibilities still and impossible to foresee, but the big thing I was getting at, is SW will have many different ways to make money back for Disney in the end and they know it.

8. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    If it bombs I am buying myself one of these...
    [​IMG]

9. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Even if it does bomb (which seems highly unlikely), Disney will make back money in DVD sales because we geeks are sad and will likely buy it regardless of how good it is.

10. cotillion

cotillion Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    Picture this.

Episode 7 revolves entirely around Jar Jar Binks and his wacky hijinks. He is investigating a decade old murder in a Tatooine Cantina of a certain green skinned alien. Witnesses said that the alien fired first. Along the way Jar Jar (who is now a Jedi Master), meets a cloned emperor, a reanimated darth maul, several Ewok assassins and discovers plans for 30 more death stars. After teaming up with Boba Fett, Jar Jar saves the token heroine and restores balance to the force.

Opening weekend: 450 million.

SaberTheMoment and appleseed like this.
  11. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    If Episode 7 bombs, we won't get to see Yoda's Bar Mitzvah in the hypothetical Episode 9, that's all.

12. SPACEMONKEY20

SPACEMONKEY20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Funny. There was a house in my neighborhood back in the 80s that had one in their back yard, and it was all dilapidated with the speederbike broken and hanging by a thread. I always thought "Hey, stupid kid; I would have killed for one of those!" lol

Back on topic: I don't think Disney spent 4 billion and change just to have the first movie out of the gate bomb like John Carter did. I predict that this is all carefully calculated out to the nth degree, with very little left to chance. Think "Avatar" where every frame of every scene was carefully constructed to manipulate you into liking it (my opinion), even if you thought otherwise later.

This is actually my fear about Episode VII.

13. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    ^:)^

14. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah, we all know the economy is horrible. But Star Wars is depression proof. People want & need to be distracted from the horrible situation in this country more thsan ever.

Star Wars is an event. If it comes down between choosing to see Episode VII and Movie X the vast majority of people worldwide will see Sstar Wars. People can make any argument they want -- Episdoe VII will NOT bomb. No chance.

15. tuskinraiderfromhell

tuskinraiderfromhell Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2004
    What if it bombs? So what, we still have I-VI. :)

16. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    All time Adjusted to Inflation: TPM #16, ATOC #87, ROTS #60 ANH #2, ESB #12, ROTJ #15
    Those are more important numbers. The value of star wars apart from ROTS has been decreasing with inflation.
    Another thing to consider is the production budget vs. income, and there's your total revenue.

Now if it doesn't do well enough to produce a profit, Disney will have to find another way to use star wars to their advantage, i.e. TV series, advertising and merchandising. If none can produce a profit, then Disney has to accept they made a bad investment.[/quote]

Yes, the box office grosses are going down, but AotC clost about 115 million to make and while it is "only" 87 on the all time gross list, it made over 600,000,000. Disney won't care were the movie sits on the all time list if it produces returns like that.

I said earlier, the biggest/only real weakness of this sale is that Star Wars is no longer a labour of love. If the movies bomb and don't turn a profit, we'll see them stop. Disney won't keep making them just because they want too.

17. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    It won't.

1. Phantom Menace was disappointing to many fans and they still lined up for Episodes II and III.
    2. Movies re-released in 3-D - money makers.
    3. Indiana Jones and the KOTC (which I liked) did not have the best word of mouth and still made almost $800 million worldwide.

The movies will make a ton of money.

Echo-07 likes this.
  18. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    From the people who have been waiting all of these years. There is no way this movie will bomb. Case closed!!!

Echo-07 likes this.
  19. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I know. I don't know why anyone would try to argue otherise . . . SMH

20. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    After 20 years of hating him everyone would suddenly demand George Lucas comes back to "save" Star Wars! [face_laugh]

thesevegetables likes this.
  21. tuskinraiderfromhell

Dec 14, 2004
    I'm worried about the lack of Lucas. Lucas is Star Wars, period. Not matter which way you look st it Episodes I-III where monster block busters. I heard nothing but good word of mouth when they where out. I never discovered all the unwarranted hate until I got a computer in 2004. I wouldn't be surprised at all if some of the haters demand Lucas come back after they walk out of theater. They'll make money regardless of hos they turn out.

22. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Lucas is not Star Wars, period. The stuff he has been involved in, counting TCW, hours-wise is still less than 5% of everything else SW. EU.

23. tuskinraiderfromhell

Dec 14, 2004
    The adjusted inflation dosen't mean dung. That's just a card the haters bring out to try discredit the huge success the PT is.

24. tuskinraiderfromhell

Dec 14, 2004
    Lucas created Star Wars, period! End of story. He IS Star Wars!

25. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    No, he isn't. He has even admitted that he doesn't care about Star Wars that much. He chooses not to find out more about his own creation, and owns up to it. Lucas has started SW, but others have also made immense contributions. They just don't do it on giant screens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.