main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Who Should Be Supreme Chancellor Of The Republic In Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by G-FETT, Nov 1, 2012.

?

Supreme Chancellor Of The Republic Should Be?

1. Princess Leia

42 vote(s)
    26.6%
  2. Mon Mothma

31 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. Admiral Ackbar

9 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. General Madine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lando Calrissian

25 vote(s)
    15.8%
  6. Another

51 vote(s)
    32.3%
  1. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    General Madine

2. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Leia. Although Lando is an intriguing choice since it is a political position.

3. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
  4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Pulling the arms off senators when his legislations aren't passed...

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    R2D2 2015! He approved this message!

6. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    Good way to get the job done.[face_beatup] Vote Chewie

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. FloydB1Kenobi

FloydB1Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    I think Lando makes the most sense, Mon Mothma was probably one of the first, followed by Ackbar, but seeing as Lando was really the hero of the Battle of Endor, by popular vote.

8. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Threkin Horm

9. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I think Leia would be a good choice. It was kind of the path the character was set on from the start by being adopted by the Organa's.

TreborSabreon and Echo-07 like this.
  10. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    But that was only during the period prior to the OT. By the time of A New Hope she's been branded a traitor, her homeworld is destroyed and the Senate disbanded. She holds no political status anymore, and spent the duration of the OT as an Imperial fugitive, soldier and rebel leader. By the end of the ROTJ the film implies she's going to learn the ways of the Force and follow in her brother and father's footsteps. Ignoring the EU, there was absolutely nothing in the films to imply she would ever go back to being a full time diplomat after the destruction of the Empire.

For me Lando just seems like a more logical choice. With him as Chancellor of the New Republic and Luke as the head of the New Jedi Order, Leia would be better off serving as some kind of ambassador between the two.

11. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Lando? Nah. Mon Mothma makes most sense to me, even if she would be getting up in age, too. Then if she were to pass on, then maybe Leia, or someone else entirely.

12. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    At the outset definitely a new character, with Leia being a leading figure in the government who has previously served as Chancellor. A younger, fairly inexperienced politician who Leia has to hand hold a lot. Leia's Chancellorship was very successful and as a result she is a popular figure, and perhaps is seen as the only person to lead the Republic when everything goes to **** again, so we could see her take the Chancellorship a second time, perhaps reluctantly.

I don't see why Leia would shy away from a leading role. She was born to lead as part of the Alderaanian aristocracy and she was a senior figure in the Rebellion for a long time. I could definitely see her being up there in the New Republic, unless she decided to step back from politics to focus on her force training.

13. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    Borsk fey'lah

14. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Will there even be a Republic in E7?

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    With Kir Kanos as minister of defence

16. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I think that's an open question at this point. Perhaps their society has splintered. We will have to wait and see.

17. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I haven't read all of the posts so sorry if this is repetitive.

First of all, assuming there is a Republic in place for a moment; I would hope they would drop the title "Supreme Chancellor." That just reeks of dictatorship.

Secondly, I would hope that if the Republic has been in place for an extended period of time it's not still Leia, Mon Mothma, etc. as the leader of the Republic. (Term limits have value! Look at how messed up the US House and Senate is because of a lack of term limits!)

I would assume it's someone we haven't met yet b/c Mon Mothma, Leia, and other known likely candidates already served or already chose not too.

18. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    maybe nobody. like at all. maybe there is no ruling body.

19. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Playing along the 30 years after Jedi angle, and assuming 'Supreme Chancellor' is just a moniker for thread convenience (President, Prime Minister what ever) I chose 'other' as in original unknown character, perhaps even a non human, but after reading the thread, I think Lando would be an awesome choice!

PS - For the next Celebration/other Fan Event that Billy Dee attends, we need a "Lando - a Man not a System - for Chief of State" (yeah, I thought that was brilliant, so I nicked it!) badge, with the 'VII' underneath...

20. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I think Leia should be Chief of State or, to go along with the EU, Wyn Dorvan.

21. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    No one. I don't want to see any politicians engaging in dialogue. I don't want any PT-style politics in the ST at all.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  22. bighairedaristocrat

bighairedaristocrat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2013
    The Sequel Trilogy presumably takes place atleast 30 years after the end of ROTJ. Assuming the Republic is a democracy, it elects Supreme Chancellors who serve specific terms. The terms would presumably not be decades long. Leia and Mon Motha are the only true politicians listed in the Poll. Given their prominent roles in government prior to the Senate being desolved, and their role in the Rebellion, presumably, they would have been leading candidates to serve as the first supreme chancellosr for the re-formed Republic.
    In all liklihood, they would have served their terms long before the start of the sequel trilogy.

Including Ackbar and Madine in the poll is just stupid. They are military leaders, not politicians. Although the EU stories had post ROTJ imperial forces continuing to oppose the newly formed republic, this is likely not what would happen in "reality." Generally, when there are coups, and the leading political parties/dictators are deposed, the entire military does not just rebel. some top military leadres are removed, but the majority of the military forces remain intact and just support the new regime. Logically, the majority of top imperial officers would be stripped of their command following the death of the Emperor (and possibly executed). It would be logical for Ackbar and Madine to take leading roles in the rebuilt republic Army/navy. Even if all that isnt the case, Ackbar and Madine would be too vital to the republic army//navy to become politicians.... and there is no reason to beleive they are anything but brilliant military minds, anyways.

For those reasons, i would be shocked if the supreme chancellor is not a completely new character.

23. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    A completely new character from the who was democratically elected.

Or just anyone who isn't Darth Vader's spawn, basically.

24. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I like Leia as the chancellor either at the beginning of the ST, or by the end. One of the few aspects of the EU I like and think should be in the movie is the idea of a corrupt or politically biased (against the Jedi) chancellor.

25. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    I'm hoping we see some political evolution from the PT to the ST. I think the idea of a Supreme Chancellor elected from the Senate was obviously deeply flawed since it was too open to corruption on Coruscant by all kinds of back room dealing and blackmail and god knows what else Palpatine was up to. I'm betting in the next government all the systems will directly elect a leader.