main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Force Hibernation is apparently quite effective!!! ;)

2. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    And Luke'd truly deserve his title of Jedi Master if he 'd manage to put Han in one too! :p

3. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Carbonite freeze is another option (as used in the second-generation colonisation ships) - unless Han would be too uncomfortable with that!! ;):p

4. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Tim Battershell:
    Well, I will admit that I enjoyed the Zayne Carrick comic book stories, and they didn't include any Skywalkers. However, I enjoyed them knowing that Luke was still getting stories too. I can't see myself enjoying a SW film without Skywalkers though. I'm hoping we will get to see Luke again, and that we will see Luke's child/children in future SW films too.

Well, not really. We saw the purge happen. Kol Skywalker actually died in that purge. Sazon was an experienced knight. In fact, he was Cade's teacher. I don't know why he and others like him couldn't have been leading the Jedi Order instead of Prequel Jedi. As I said, I find it especially irritating since those prequel Jedi never helped Luke when he was starting the Jedi Academy. They also never helped him or his Order during all of the many major wars. Yet, after Luke was gone, they have suddenly not only come out of the framework, but they've taken over the Order too. I really, really hate that! :mad:

Well, those prequel Jedi WERE there before the Legacy comics story begins. I know that because apparently K'kruhk also did some teaching of Cade Skywalker.

MasterSkywalker86:
    I'd like Luke to be there as the wise Jedi Master. I too would prefer that he not die. We already got that with Yoda and Ben. It would be nice to see Luke survive to continue to lead the new order of Jedi for a long, long time.

If they have the original actors return, I know that we won't be getting a young Luke just starting to train Jedi. I'm expecting (hoping) that we'll get to see some of the fruits of Luke's labors... some new Jedi knights that Luke has trained.

Maybe they will go back and tell those earlier stories in the annimated films/TV shows we were talking about before?

I would really love to see that too, MS. I don't want any sad endings. If they're planning on a sad ending, they might as well not do the sequel trilogy and just leave well enough alone.

Exactly!!!

Without very much Luke material!!! :(

Hmmm... I wonder if the reason DH is going to be making a new series about the Rebellion era is to sort of "reintroduce" Luke, Leia, and Han with the eye on the future films? Perhaps LFL suggested this without giving away that they were planning to do the sequels?

That's the way I'd like to see it, yes.

kataja:
    I still think that was supposed to be Yoda's joke, trying to make things a bit lighter for Luke.

5. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    right and those two died during a time of great struggle with their Order destroyed and their brethren slain, Luke ushered in a new Order of knights, saved the galaxy from Palpatine twice(alongside numerous threats), and found a wife. While I don't doubt Luke would sacrifice himself to save the galaxy, he deserves a happy ending with his wife. I also see more of a chance with that happening with Disney.

that's another idea, though I would prefer the movies have Luke at his oldest at his 40's. another issue I have with the original actors is aside of Ford, Mark and Carrie haven't acted in a mainstream live action movie in decades.....while I understand the nostalgic value of having the original cast reprise their roles I don't think it'll work out how we expect it to.

yeah we already had enough of that in the books.

that leads me to believe that the Big 3 will be in it, what's the point of refreshing people's memories of the Big 3 if they're not going to involved in the movies ?

6. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    I realize that Luke learned in from the Fallanassi way back in Black Fleet Crisis, that does not mean he was particularly skilled at it. You can make a case that he was not , by the trouble he was having in Joiner King

MASTERSKYWALKER86--- I am worried because of the reasons someone else already layed out in the episode 7 disney thread. Disney just takes things over and mines it for whatever it is worth and discards it. Will they care to keep with continuity, or just create their own? Will the movies reflect previous continuity or screw everything up? Disney is just about generating interest from casual fans, and does not care about diehard fans.

7. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    The way studios are now a days you can expect that from a lot of major studios. Still I been impressed with the marvel films and Pixar so I'm basis

8. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    MasterSkywalker86:

Let's hope that's true!!!! I'm really nervous about whether Lucas will allow Luke to have a family or not. I know he has said that Luke wouldn't marry in his universe, but I hope someone can talk him out of that. In the first place, I think Luke deserves some happiness, but in the second place, I think it's the best thing for the franchise. If Luke doesn't have any kids, there will be no future characters with the iconic surname of Skywalker to follow into future stories. Yes, I know that Leia's children would be Skywalkers too, but they wouldn't be Luke's children and they would have the surname of Solo, not Skywalker.

We'll see, I guess. I think that the Big Three wouldn't really have the main parts though. Luke's would probably be the largest of the three, but he would still probably only have as much "screen time" as Obi-wan in the OT.

I don't know how true this is, but here's something that I found quoted in the Episode VII forum in someone's post. I don't know where it was originally published or by whom:

I thought the quote about the actors slimming down since the summer was interesting. But I don't have any idea where this information came from or how true it is.

Of course, whoever wrote this also says that "Darth Vader will arise from the ashes" which I really hope is NOT true. (Though I think they were referring to films to be made after the ST. But I don't really care to see Darth Vader again....

That's a good point.

JediMatteus:
    I think the reason Luke might have been having difficulty with the skill in TJK was because he was attempting to do it using dark emotions to fuel his Force powers. That's NOT the way one creates Fallanassi illusions or cloaking shields.

I think they will probably be good with continuity between and among the films. Practically speaking, I don't think they will be able to keep all of the EU intact even if they want to. It has just grown too big and far-reaching.

Now, maybe they would try to just start after Crucible, but would we really want the SW galaxy to look like that? Would we want to have thousands of Sith running lose and Krayt and Abeloth and Ship? Would we want Coruscant to be such a mess as it is after the events of Apocalypse? Would we want a likely permanently Force-injured Luke Skywalker? Frankly, I wouldn't. I would prefer a new continuity than to add all of that baggage to the new films.

I also wouldn't want the galaxy as seen in the Legacy comics to be the future that will come after the sequel films either.

As I've said, there are things I would like to include, like the Zahn trilogy and duology. I would really be sad if we lost Mara and Ben, and I will be very annoyed if Luke isn't allowed to have a family. But I am fairly certain that we're not going to be able to keep all or even much of the current EU. I will be very surprised if that happens. And it wouldn't be just because the new owner is Disney. I think it would be true no matter who was doing the new films. The EU has just become too big and unwieldy to completely carry over to the Sequel trilogy continuity, I think.

9. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah i like those films too overall. But that is a differnt animal.

10. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'd be generally okay with Luke remaining celibate (either one fits his character arc), as long as he allows the Jedi of his order to get married. Having the NJO become a carbon copy of the OJO would be missing the point by a ridiculously wide margin.

I imagine Anakin will make an appearance, but only as a Force ghost. Also, I certainly hope Chewie doesn't appear, for obvious reason.

11. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    when has Lucas mention that Luke should stay single ? I don't seem to recall him ever mentioning that about Luke....also I seem to recall him saying Return of the Jedi being the ending with those characters....so who says he won't change his mind. Another thing to ponder is that George is no longer the owner of the franchise meaning that while Disney might bring him along for a second opinion and some ideas Disney and Kathleen Kennedy have the ultimate say. I would like to see Luke having a family, considering Episode 4 started with him loosing his family.

to me that would seem nothing more then cameos than actual pivotal roles. I don't mind the use of say the new generation with the classic generation but it would take some time to introduce those characters and show they can hold their own against the Big 3, why couldn't the reintroduction of the big 3 help usher the new characters while show the characters we enjoy ?

a couple of issues with these rumors.

it has been confirmed that he is the writer of the screenplay......but I highly doubt he'll be the only writer for a potential financial blockbuster.

if it's true they're planning to use Hamill and Fisher again they'll have a hell of a time explaining why they aged 35 years in a "few" years :p I have a feeling they won't be using the original cast if the setting is a few years after Jedi.

this one I don't believe for a second aside of Force spirit, as the source is not given in any of the sites I have look. Expect more of these to come in the coming years.

12. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    "Quite a few" means 'many'. From what the Mods have heard (see "Disney Wars" thread from last night/early this am) it seems that 50+ ABY is still the best guess.

13. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I guess, it seems deliberately ambiguous on their part if that rumor is indeed true, why not simply say many ? The only thing we know for certain is Michael Ardnt is writing it and that isn't much to go on

14. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    It's a figure of speech - used it myself on quite a few occasions.

15. kataja

May 4, 2007
    I think he might :p

That's what I hope for too, Though I wouldn't mind if it was set pretty far into the future.
    Also, In a way I'd like to see Luke's story end in a film (i.e. see him die) I'd like it to be in a film and I'd like Mark Hamill to act this - and I don't really think they can continue to squeeze the original actors for too long. I see it a bit like a circle that's closing - and I want to see the closure - let a new generation pick up what will happen later. But only after the circle's closed do I want to se Luke's role recast!

I hadn't thought about that but it sounds very likely!

It could be cool, though - Luke 900 years... [face_tee_hee]

No, it won't. And to be honset, I think their roles need to be pretty small in the new trilogy. That's why I'd like it to happen after their time era - if they'd come "back" somehow - their role would be much more independent that it would be if they still were close to what we've seen in EU.

Yeah.. Well, Leia is a Skywalker - and who say that women take their husband's names in GFFA (they did in the EU - but if that's cancelled...?) Still, I can't see her wear her bilological father's name - no matter what :p
    And then of course - as a Luke fan - I want him to have kids. And I want him to have Mara! [face_not_talking]

Very interesting. Actually, I think Chewie's death is the worst threat to the current EU - I just can't see them let the Big3 return without him - he's such a filmic character!

Kataja says Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Agree about the order. But as for Luke celibate - all those years I hadn't heard about the EU, I'd been fine with it. But after Mara... no. They fit so well - it would be such a losss!!!!

16. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Holocron gatekeepers, Force Ghosts or residents on Mortis?

Me too!

Clever retcon needed - an amnesiac that required extensive Bacta treatment, maybe - ISTR it's been done before somewhere.

Rumoured to be a possible IIIa, IIIb & IIIc. - Not sure what to make of it yet.

The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak - as we have seen all too often on the news recently. No scandals within the Jedi Order, PLEASE!

17. kataja

May 4, 2007
    I hope not. It would be weird to see him younger than his own son :pUnless they go for Sebastian Shaw again ;)

I've seen Lucas say this too - but I can't for my life remember where and when. It might have been a long time ago, though. Maybe even before the EU kicked off for real...

Nice point about him loosing his family first. Not to speak of the father he never had...:(

Hey - maybe they went to live on Tatooine - like Obi-Wan ;) But seriously, I agree they'll set it many years in the future...

That would be my translation too.

That could be options, yes. Or some new, imaginative way we haven't heard of yet.

OMG - is it really done? :oops: Still, if it was really well done, it would have something to do with why they need exactly Luke & co back. Too many plots is always bad - better squeeze in as much as possible inot one instead...

Kataja says Noooooooooooooooooo again! :( That would really be the last thing I'd like to see. Things in RL don't bother me much - but in traditional storytelling there are conventions that I like...

Well, ok there's one scenario that would be even worse:
    (set 100 years ABY or something)
    Padawan to Luke: "Grandma told me about you. She told me you were her uncle."
    Luke: "No padawan. I was her father."

I mean - why did George insist on Luke and Leia kissing in ESB? ... just saying.... :p[face_devil]

18. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Here's a fun thought that's just reared it's head over in the Ep 7 forum - Mara Jade was in one of the radio plays (albeit under an alias!). The play in question apparently came out after HttE was published (which revealed that she had used that alias) - so Mara could be top-level canon!

19. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Here's for those who wished to see the original cast appear in Episode 7, Carrie Fisher on reappearing.

[Leia] has never been gone," she answered coyly. "As far I know, she has been with me forever!" So, that's not exactly the "Yes, I would definitely like to return!" sort of answer we've had from most actors involved with the previous instalments in the franchise, but the actress did jokingly offer up a scenario in which her character could return. "I like to think of it as 'old Leia', like, sway-backed old Leia the horse. I like the idea of being Mrs Solo, and we've just fought and fought and I killed him, but I'm sorry. I'm sorry - that's right, I feel badly and I probably had an affair with some general.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=70091

20. kataja

May 4, 2007
    That could be... superb! :D She's my must-have! And her hooking up with Luke, that is.

Heh heh - I read about that but the video didn't show on my land-code (so much for globalization and wonders of technology) . She sounds almosr like Mara. :p But sounds as it she's game. I like her comment that Leia's never been gone - kinda' terrible for her personally, actually...o_O

According to Entertainment weekly http://kotaku.com/5960715/ they now speak of launching two-three movies a year. And recast the Orginal characters. I must say this doesn't excite me one bit. If that's true, I think the last morsels of respect's gone. They'll squeeze the orange until ther's no drop of juice left and then just continue adding articficial flavour. :(

21. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    instantdeath:
    While I definitely agree that I want Luke to allow the Jedi to marry and have families, I want this for Luke too. I think the guy deserves to have some personal happiness. Plus, as I keep saying, I want to have a son or daughter of Luke... another Skywalker... be the focus of future films.

I do *NOT* want this to happen!!!!!! Why have an older Luke seeing this much younger father??? And if this story takes place 30+ years after RotJ, Luke shouldn't need any advice from his long gone father. In fact, I don't think Luke should EVER take advice from his father! I don't think we need to see Force ghosts unless we see Yoda maybe.

MasterSkywalker86:
    Lucas has stated in at least a couple of interviews that in "his universe" (or a word meaning something like that), Luke never married.

This is what I'm hoping! That Lucas WILL change his mind about this.

Yes, that would be a nice way to bring Luke's life full circle! Besides, I was always disappointed that Luke didn't end up "getting the girl" at the end of the trilogy. I think Luke deserves happiness with a wife and kids as much as Han and Leia do.

Well, that's sort of what I'm hoping will happen, but I do think that the focus WILL be on the younger characters, with Luke probably playing a role somewhat Like Qui-gon in TPM or Obi-wan in ANH.

I really don't think that the setting of Episode VII will be just a few years after RotJ. I think it will be at least 25 years after, so we can see some Jedi that Luke has trained, and so that Luke and Leia's children will be teenagers or very early 20's... the perfect time to begin a hero's journey.

I'm hoping that we do get future stories with a younger Luke as he's just setting up his Academy, and see some adventures of his Jedi. However, I think those will be animated features for TV, very likely.

kataja :
    I guess I would prefer to *not* see Luke's death onscreen. I know that his role may be small in the films, but I would like him to be in all of them. Otherwise, it's too much like Qui-gon and Obi-wan. The newer and younger characters can take on the meaty roles and be the focus, but I hope they won't kill Luke in one of the films. What would even be a decent way from him to die? I'd like it to be of old age, surrounded by family and Jedi.... But I don't think I even want to see that in the films.

That makes TWO of us!!!!!! But if it can't be Mara, I still want Luke to have a wife and familly.

That was exactly my reaction! There is NO reason for Vader OR Anakin to return.

Tim Battershell:
    Ohhhhhhhhh!!!!! Good catch!!!!! Let's hope Lucas doesn't just forget about her! AND, let's hope that she can be Luke's wife and not just a character who happened to be in the RotJ radio play.

MasterSkywalker86:
    She really didn't give a straight answer. AND, if she's not allowed to divulge any information, she may be trying to redirect attention by her silly responses.

22. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm not even sure it's possible to make two or three Star Wars movies a year; that's oversaturation to the extreme, even if they do what Peter Jackson does and shoot them in one go and release one each year. It's near impossible to keep that schedule up for a prolonged period of time.

So right now I'm taking that with a grain of salt. If that does happen, that may just kill whatever interest I have in Star Wars.

However, if what the article suggests is true, and by two or three a year they mean one live action and the rest animated, color me interested.

23. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    maybe, the fact that none of them haven't given a deliberate answer makes me nervous, then again you just mention they'll recast the original characters.

it depends, for instance with the Marvel films I have seen most of them at the theaters and they usually release two to three times a year. But the only way it would work is if they have different stories going on like one from the KOTOR era and one from Legacy, while the other is Episode 7. I suppose this is good news for EU in general since this provides variety.

Well he doesn't own his universe now does he ? :p

I think you don't understand, Lucas doesn't have the creative final say anymore...at least from what I understand. While I understand Kathleen Kennedy will do her best to follow Lucas's vision I believe her and Disney will do things a bit more differently which IMO will be more practical for the films.

I agree, imagine now an animated or dare I say live action HoT film [face_hypnotized]

scratch the Obi-wan in ANH who martyrs himself. If they have him featured like Obi-wan from AOTC and ROTS, then I feel that'll be reasonable enough time to incorporate Luke in the film and introduce the new characters.

I'm hoping at the most it'll be 20 years from ROTJ, as I'm not ready to move on to the new generation.(also it'll be more marketable to go the OT characters) I felt while Jedi was a great ending for OT it was an end of a battle but not the war. I mean Luke just became a Jedi Knight, Han and Leia are in love, the rebels won another major victory but the Imperials still have the superior numbers and firepower. The jedi order still needs to be rebuilt, etc. I feel before they continue on to the new generation they must conclude with Luke, Han, and Leia with a happy sendoff.

yes

perhaps

24. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    But will the OT actor(s) be able to play characters 20 years younger than actual age?

25. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    im the only one here on the boat to recast them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.