main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [Reactions] U.S. Presidential Election Day 2012

Discussion in 'Community' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Nov 4, 2012.

1. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Here's a "percent change" map for 2012 vs. 2008, although the color scale isn't super helpful.

[​IMG]

For comparison, here's 2008 (versus 2004):

[​IMG]

Conclusion: Eastern Kentucky is really racist.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
  3. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Oh god, I really think one of my friend's keyboard is covered in spittle. He has been ranting on facebook since Tuesday and it's only gotten worse. I'm about ready to stage an intervention.

4. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    POST EXCERPTS DAMMIT

DONT BE SELFISH

5. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    I really shouldn't...oh hell. Mostly it's extreme anti-Obama articles and pictures. All about how we're going to become the next Soviet Union. He's serious, too.

And um, none of that is true, dude. You aren't going to have to pay for abortions. But um, keep on rockin' in the free world, I guess.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  7. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    your friend is a weirder than my worst conservative friends and actually less coherent if not conclusively stupider. so.... i guess you win?

anyways here's this:

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Ted Cruz says that Texas could become "all Democratic" in "not too many years."

The Chairman of the Republican Party in Texas says
    * there will be more Hispanics than Whites in Texas by 2015
    * Hispanics will be the majority in Texas by 2020

Cruz says that if Texas becomes a blue state, without the Democrats losing any of their main states, then the Republican Party will be finished.

Very good article: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/11/19/121119fa_fact_lizza?currentPage=all

So, how can Republicans possibly do better with Hispanics?

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Not threaten constantly to deport them, irregardless of whether their legal or not? Just a starter thought.

10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'd say they're hosed until about 2030 when their old guard begins to die off rapidly.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I dunno, there are people like Paul Ryan. Sure, they make up a smaller portion of their generation, but I don't think the Republican Party's... colorful views of anyone who's not a white man will necessarily die with the Baby Boomers.

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Certainly won't hurt to have those Baby Boomers die off, though. :p

13. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Are you sure Obamacare might help them stay alive for another decade or two. [face_skull]

14. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    medicare definitely won't - it will have gone bust by then. re texas, i'm surprised it didn't go blue this time around, what with all these californians apparently flooding into it. next time, maybe!

15. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I have a very biased cohort, but almost all of my Hispanic friends are Republicans. They do exist.

The halfies especially.

16. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Did you just use the phrase "halfies"?

17. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    90% of my Hispanic FB friends were going for Romney.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm not sure why anecdotal evidence is being submitted when the fact is that Hispanics voted overwhelmingly (over 70%) for Obama, and the issues that drove them away from the Republican party probably aren't going to be dropped any time soon.

20. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Hey! I'm offended ;)as I'm one of them "baby-boomers" (and I voted Obama and wouldn't vote Republican if you paid me - once upon a decade before the crazies - I self-identified as Republican but the Democrats represent my indep views far far better).

21. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Its the internet. My limited experience and anecdotal evidence trumps any of your "facts", especially when they prove me wrong!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    The majority of my white friends voted for Obama so he must have won the white vote convincingly!

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Seriously, people...I mentioned this in a different thread, but...my husband, who has never voted for a Republican Presidential candidate in his life (and has voted for very few other Republican candidates) but happens to be a 40-year-old Italian-American male living in the South, kept getting Romney ads in the mail. It went from "What the **** are they doing?" to being hilarious.

Demographics aren't tell-all but they do say something, and I think the Dowd column I posted above is correct, in that the Romney campaign assumed two things: one, that they had the white male vote outright, and two, that the votes of other demographic groups didn't matter as long as they had that white male vote.

24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, you can talk about your personal experience all you want, and sure everyone is unique.. but that doesn't negate the fact that there are definite statistical trends amongst various groups (voting and otherwise).

I didn't need a map to tell me that, I watch Justified.

25. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    i think they hoped their focus on the state of the economy would resonate and carry them through, but looks like it didn't. not enough, anyway.