main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Winner Lose All

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Danz Borin, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    On the timeline in Annihilation, there's an ebook right before Scoundrels listed, titled: "Winner Lose All".

Do we have any info on this? I assume its an ebook by Zahn and will be out with Scoundrels paperback, But that's just my guess.

We have any solid info?

2. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
  3. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Zahn is also having a short story called "Heist" coming out in Dec in SW Insider.

4. Danz Borin

Oct 16, 2012
    Cool, thanks Chewbacca89.

Is there any collection of Insider stories or are they released again anywhere? (Other than in Insider that is)?

5. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I wish. I have been asking/looking for the same thing for quite a while. I would even be happy if they collected them in a book and sold it.
    You can try www.star-wars.suvudu.com
    They have some available for free download, but not all.

EDIT: Look at their posts from around OCT 3, 2012 and you will see quite a few. Good Luck!

6. Danz Borin

Oct 16, 2012
    Awesome, thanks for the link Chew. I've been wanting to find Stover's The Tenebrous Way too.

7. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    That's a good one. I own it. If you want send me a PM, if you would like to read it. I have a digital copy I can send you.

8. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I wish. Would love to read some of the Insider stories, but the rest of Insider is so uninteresting to me that it's not worth the subscription.

The Tenebrous Way, of course, was special, so I scoured the net the day it came out until I found an... online copy. No such luck with the others, though.

Runjedirun likes this.
  9. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I feel the same way, I will stand in the bookstore to read an Insider short story and put the magazine right back on the shelf when I am done.

Dr. Steve Brule and Chewbacca89 like this.
  10. Danz Borin

Oct 16, 2012
    I think I PMd you correctly Chewbacca. Not sure.

11. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I'm pretty certain that some of the stories that were available on e-books were later printed in the paperback format of the novels with which the stories were associated. They did that with Recovery and Ylesia. I'm hoping they'll do the same with this story.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And I'm fed up with that crappy practice - when quite of a few of us will have bought the hardback! That was one of the good things about the 20th HTTE hardback, it had the Crisis of Faith novella included.

13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Last time the question of Insider shorts came up someone suggested them later releasing them as e-books. I still wish they'd decide to do that. I know the main problem someone pointed out was that it could hurt Insider sales, but I'd be happy even if the ebooks weren't released until 12 months later, like with novel paperbacks, or comic trades, etc.

14. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Can't think of a better Insider-story than that one...

15. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Random House will have the e-book for sale December 10.

16. Danz Borin

Oct 16, 2012
    Gee... I wonder if the "unseen mastermind" is Thrawn.... gee golly what are the odds?

TrakNar likes this.
  17. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    It's by Zahn. I'm surprised when Thrawn isn't in it.

18. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Murder, though, doesn't seem to fit Thrawn's character.

19. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    IDK...I always felt that while Thrawn was a more refined villain, that he had the potential to be a ruthless killer if necessary.

20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    The thing is, Thrawn himself wouldn't kill unless his back is against the wall. He'd make someone else do the dirty work, and then take all the credit.

21. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Keyword being 'necessary' - Thrawn only went so far as was required to meet his goals - and he was such a brilliant strategist/tactician with an instinct (except in one specific case) for turning opponents' psycological blind-spots against them that resorting to murder seems excessive - he wanted Killik Twilight very much in Tatooine Ghost, but didn't resort to murder to obtain it.

22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It's likelier that the mastermind is the Scoundrels villain, or Nuso Esva, or something like that.

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Wait... so Thrawn won't be in it? :eek:

I may have to read this one...

24. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Ok. That is it! That is it for ebooks. I bought this at Kobo. Won't download. And I didn't get a refund. They have to send such a request to another department.:mad:

And my dumb reader is like a 1980's gizmo with how temperamental it is. Damned invisible books! I go back to pulp as of today.

25. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Read through it, pretty quick read, probably the equivalent of only a few chapters. And there isn't actually any Thrawn, Esva or even Mara references I think. :p Although I might have missed one, but otherwise its just a quick... well, not exactly heist story, but fringe story starring Lando and some characters from the upcoming Scoundrels, so mostly just establishing some background for some of them. And yeah, the villain isn't anyone really memorable (although you can never be sure who will pop up again given this is sort of a prequel to Scoundrels). Not the best story ever, but not bad for $2 on Amazon kindle. Decent Lando characterization at least, although not sure if he's supposed to be a better gambler than that, but then Lando has done a lot of different things over the years.