main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Mass Effect Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
  2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Considering the very divergent endings ME3 provided, it's gonna be interesting to see if they actually choose a canon ending from which to start a ME4. That said though, my interest in such a sequel is non-existant now.

3. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Is it confirmed that this is an actual sequel and not just a spin-off thingy?

4. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Smells like a spin-off to me. I never played any of the Dragon Age games, but this sounds as if they may do something similar to DAII - new protagonist, new area of the world/universe, and events of the prior games having more of an effect on background info than the actual course of the game.

5. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    I'm guessing pre-ME3 ending spin-off. Unless they canon-ize one of (or maybe better, completely ignore/retcon) the endings, I don't see how they could do it. Plus, if they did say "[Color X] is canon" and went with it, they'd probably alienate people who have their heart set on one of the others. Then again, considering the past six months... Either way though, not too excited about it.

6. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I'd bet money they make Synthesis the canon ending. They can give the character awesome new tech/organic powers that way.

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    New ME game? awesome

8. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Well, like DA2, if you can "import" your DA Origins save, you might be able to do the same with ME3 and ME4. Thus, there wouldn't necessarily have to be a "canon" ending and whatever ending you chose, if the ending has an influence on ME4 at all, would be in your ME4.

I'm really hoping that we'll able to choose which race we play as this time.

9. davvi36

davvi36 Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    a developer said to "keep your savegames" for the upcoming mass effect 4

10. Varactyl

Varactyl Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    Thrilled about this! I was hoping for more ME.

11. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    hope this should be good. The universe is rather big and ripe for expansion.

Replaying three now in preperation of Omega DLC

12. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I'd so hate it if the Green Abomination were given the canon treatment, even if it'd make so much sense given the way it'd change the universe and its characters (and of course, gameplay). If I were to get excited about it -- and I won't, I won't -- I'd rather see a future story of the ME galaxy under the "watchful protection" of ShepardReaperGod. :p

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Would be nice to see another ME game, but not sure where they can go with it.

But if it must be so, Garrus should be President of the Universe.

GenAntilles and Skywalker_T-65 like this.
  14. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Considering the 'endings' to ME3...I find it very hard to get excited about a possible fourth game (to put it in perspective...I play ME1/ME2 far more than numero 3). But we'll see what happens.

Though I will be royally ticked if they don't put Garrus in it, since he is Da Awesome (to quote a meme from another website I'm on). :p

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  15. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah Control is my favorite, at least Shepard still exists then. But you'd have to wonder how the game could be difficult in that case.

New Player Character: Garrus, enemy mercs coming in on our position!
    Garrus: Eh... I wouldn't worry about it.
    Reaper appears and blows up enemies.
    Garrus: Well I guess were done here.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  16. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    ME4 should be on next-gen consoles, right? I sure hope so. A next-gen Mass Effect game would be very nice.

17. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    For those interested, new Marauder Shields episode is up: Episode 38: Dum Spiro Spero ("While I Breath, I Hope" according to Google Translate).

And for those that still have ME3 on PC, and... dislike what happens after Anderson's "You did good" speech, this little mod might interest you:

Part 1

Part 2

From what I understand, it's still a Work In Progress, but even so, given what this guy's had to work with, I'd say it's pretty impressive. I'll be keeping an eye on it, especially since my brother had no problem parting with his PC copy at all.

18. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Frankly, I'd say that while your ME3 savegame file will have an effect, I'm betting on a more-or-less clean sheet approach to ME4.

19. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Come to think of it, even if ME4 was set decades or even centuries in the future, you'd still have some characters hanging around - perhaps Matriarch T'Soni and clan chief Urdnot Grunt? It would be interesting if the next game was set far enough in the future to have a fresh start, but still have some familiar pieces.

20. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    On a different note...found a fanfic summary and I just HAD to post it, specifically the last part :p

He is vengeance. He is the night. He. Is. Archangel. AU, with Garrus as Turian Batman.

That is just...awesome and hilarious at the same time :p

21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    like Garrus

22. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    That would be sweet, but figure even if they decided to boot the timeline 500 years down the road you'd still have a middle-aged Liara around. Given that she is the chronicler of Shepard's story (and, even should you import a savegame where either she died at the end or you took the Refuse option, has time capsules scattered across the galaxy), I wouldn't be that surprised if she was the primary or sole connection between the past and present eras in a future ME4 setting.

My other guess is that BioWare might try and pick up the dark energy plotline that gave a few flickers of notice in ME2 and then vanished.

23. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Personally, I didn't have a problem with the endings, at least after the first DLC. My biggest gripe that makes replaying the game difficult is the inability to skip cutscenes. That annoys me to no end.

I remember at one point, my wife and I were going out. I told her I was right at the end of the mission (I really was, though I don't remember which mission). A minute later, I completed the mission, but then I had to sit through cutscene, loading screen, cutscene, loading screen, stupid dream sequence, loading screen, cutscene, loading screen. Then after nearly 10 minutes, I could finally save the **** game so I could turn it off!

After a while, I wished I could shoot the kid in my dream and cut Hackett off like the council in the first game.

24. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    True. I find the occasional long stretches of gabbing in between missions can be a drag. Especially right after the Cerberus coup attempt - you end up bouncing all over the Citadel sewing up minor sidequests and it's kind of a relief to be introduced to some Banshees at the Ardat-Yakshi monastery. It's serving as a deterrent to just plowing straight through in my attempt to replay all five of my characters and position them where they can more or less jump right into Omega at Level 55+ next week.

25. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    I've tried to replay ME3 recently, and I mean I really tried. I wanted to play it, to finish the game at least for a second time. I have two other playthroughs in progress: one that stopped on the first mission and one that stopped after the second. I thought after such a long time without touching it that I'd be ready to go through the whole thing, maybe even match my obsession with the universe that ME1 and ME2 created...

...it just can't. It's so unlike Mass Effect to me that it just feels completely forced. I'm presented with a bunch of characters and races that look like things I used to know, but just feel too different. And once again my N7 Edition case collects dust :(

That is, until the Omega DLC comes out and I cling to the hope that it can somehow reverse my opinion of the game.