main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Jedi in the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by LawJedi, Nov 1, 2012.

1. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Growing up before the prequels, many of us easily accepted the idea that Luke, Leia and other Jedi could marry, having kids, and still be Jedi Knights. It just made sense. Then the prequels arrived, and gave us a very different view of Jedi behavior.

After AOTC, and the big plot point about Jedi and their relationship with romantic love, many couldn't help but wonder how this related to established book "canon." Obviously, the EU connected the dots by saying that the New Jedi Order had a different set of rules.

Now, we are in a unique position. We may finally find out, either through direct plot points, or through vague references to the past, what George thinks about post-ROTJ Jedi having romantic love. This is not only important to answer lingering questions, but to thematically tie up the saga. Do the children learn from the mistakes of the last generation? Is attachment still a threat years later?

2. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I think the whole love mumbo jumb should be out of the new jedi order, We've been there, and done that. It's time for something new on screen, I hope they portray the New Republic Jedi like the EU does

Pro Scoundrel and JediMJS like this.
  3. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    I agree, not because of the EU, but just to see Luke's Order acknowledge that cutting off those emotions was a terrible idea.

4. JediMJS

JediMJS Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Right. Also, not allowing sex is a bad idea if you're trying to revive a whole people.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Luke exploiting Anakin's sense of attachment kinda saved the galaxy.

6. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    A Jedi SHALL know love...people seem to miss the point of Return of the Jedi...that Luke's love of his father (and sister), and Anakin's love of his son actually redeemed Anakin in the end. This was basically saying that the old Jedi Order was in fact wrong, it was their restrictions on "love and attachment" that caused Anakin to become more possessive and fearful of losing those that he loved, and it eventually led to their downfall. Meaning, it is going to be OK for their to be descendants of the Skywalker line post ROTJ

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It's been done.

This time I want to see Jedi getting busy like it's Jersey Shore.

8. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    double post, cursed server!

9. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Again, I agree. I'm just looking forward to that being confirmed and carried out in a GL inspired story.

10. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Hopefully Luke Skywalker founded a new jedi order which avoids the problems of the past. Basically--Jedi can have attachments, they can have sex and marry. It will be a disappointment if the sequels show a bunch of monks in Robin Hood robes with those hair braids. Dark tunics, short hair, and sex.

11. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I guess we can say with a fair amount of certainty that at one point in ST we'll be seeing a new order of Jedi emerge.

Everything else is open for speculation.

How do they emerge? Does Luke himself reform the Order in full? Does he just train one apprentice who goes on to reform the Order?
    Do they even reform the Order as we know it?
    Will they take a more active role in the galactic affairs or distance themselves even further?
    Do they adhere to the same strict code of the Old Order or have a more "grey" approach to things?

Many more questions to ponder...

12. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Hard to tell not knowing the timeframe. If it's about 20 years post ROTJ then I doubt Luke would have had enough time to really reestablish the Order. In which case I could see him training a Padawan, perhaps a Solo kid. Also, I can envision some younger -- say 30 somethings -- as Jedi already, perhaps training their own Padawans.

I don't see a highly organized order yet.

If its 40 years then the order could be reestablished and maybe even a new council.

13. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, having no fixed timeframe yet means the development stage of the Order is also open for all kinds of speculation.
    40 years after ROTJ (which seems to me the most logical timeframe) would let them introduce at least a couple of fully trained Jedi in their 30s.

14. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I'd love it if the Jedi of the ST reflect what Luke learnt from the OT (building even further on what Yoda and Ben had learnt from the PT). The PT Jedi (Qui-Gon excluded) seem much stiffer and out of touch with the OT Jedi. I always got the feeling that GL fully meant for the PT Jedi to have lost sight of things a little, blinded by their own arrogance and that Yoda and Ben had really learnt their lessons the hard way. Luke took it a step further by fully believing in his father's redemption, something they seemed unable to do. Maybe I'm reading too much into it. I'd love to see a bunch of Jedi in the ST who aren't so stiff.

15. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Well we do know one thing for certain: the Jedi Temple is still around at the end of ROTJ.

[​IMG]-

So Luke definitely has someplace to store his model T-16.

16. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I think we'll see plenty of Jedi going forward and maybe even some Sith or at least Dark Jedi.

I don't want to see a Republic that is organized and happy.

I think we'll see chaos right from the jump. And my instincts tell me that we'll see a 20-25 year gap between ROTJ and Ep7 which leaves enough room for the EU, sets up a chaotic galaxy full of strife, gives us Solo offspring that aren't children/adolescents, and gives us the STAR of a new Jedi Order, as you suggest, with some Jedi in their 30's (to carry the torch.)

tsunami1138 likes this.
  17. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    I also hope that they will have a different approach to the dogmatic PT Jedi. Allowing romantic love and marriage, welcoming force sensitives regardless of their age, perhaps even (within reason) allowing the study of abilities some consider to be..... unnatural :p

I think they should not be as involved with the politics and government of the Republic as the old Jedi were. I imagine them as very secretive to the point of your ordinary citizen not even realising they exist, scouting the galaxy for force sensitives to invite into the Order. The famous Luke Skywalker has turned into a legend, disappearing soon after Endor to found the Order, and most people maintain that he was still on the Death Star when it exploded; only his closest and the upper echelons of the Republic know what he is truly doing. A few rumours have got out here and there though, and there are a lot of crazy conspiracy theories, including the Jedi being some kind of evil force in the shadows controlling everything (lawl Illumaniti :D). Most sane people agree that's a load of **** though, the Jedi were all killed remember?

As such the Order would definitely not be based on Coruscant - I really like the EU idea of them setting up in the old temple on Yavin IV, that would be a good thing to take from the EU and it would be nice to revisit that great Star Wars location. But, when the severity of the new threat becomes apparent, Luke decides the Order needs to fulfil its ancient role as the "guardians of peace and justice", and they come out of hiding to take it on - still however very independent, refusing to be used as soldiers as their predecessors were in the Clone Wars. They could even become a thorn in the Republic's side, doing things their own way. They are unfortunately feared by the people though due to their secrecy and the propaganda that was spread about them during the Empire.

Sorry, I got carried away there :p

18. Moog

Moog Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2003
    I reckon we'll see a big part of the story dealing with how to rebuild the Jedi order, and if it's even a good idea. 30 years is no time at all in terms of setting up something like this - it's only Luke remember, and even if he has been able to find more Jedi candidates to train along with any kids and nieces/nephews he might have, I doubt we'll see very many of them at first.

No way would Luke look back at the rules of the old Jedi order for tips about how to set up a new order though, unless he wants to set it up to fail again.

19. Moog

Moog Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2003
    I like this idea a lot. A bit of paranoia, a bit of uncertainty about what he's doing. I can see this happening, and I can definitely see it working.

20. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Wookiee_Vader the idea of a reformed Jedi Order working in secret is very appealing. I'm sure the general population would have rather mixed feelings at reforming the Jedi Order so soon after the whole Clone Wars debacle and everything that went on.

We, as viewers, are used to seeing things from the Jedi perspective and know them to be "the good guys", but in the eyes of an average galactic citizen they are far less understood. Most people go their entire lives without even seeing a Jedi, I'm sure some people suspect them to be no more than legends.
    From the viewpoint of an average person in GFFA, the differences between a Jedi and a Sith are very probably lost. They both have Force, they both have lightsabers. As far as people are concerned, a Sith is just a rogue Jedi.
    For that reason, the fear of the Jedi so soon after the destruction of the Order would surely be high.
    It would make quite a lot of sense for Luke to want to keep it a bit less public, at least until the circumstances require them to step into the open.

tsunami1138 likes this.
  21. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm not sure about it being 'in secret' though the fact that Vader is Luke and Leia's father would be kept very quiet and not known to all that many people (I like how The Thrawn Trilogy had that as a primary plot element). I think they should be independent of the New Republic though, as being linked with the government could lead to all sorts of bad things.

As for the size of the Order... well lets see, how long does it take to learn to be a Jedi? Luke got a crash course that probably amounted to less than 6 months of formal training. However I don't see the new Order being very large. Depending on the time frame I could easily see it being very small...

Say it's around 34 ABY (30 years after Endor) Luke has had thirty years to find and instruct other force sensitives, but I have a hard time seeing him manage a large 'class' of jedi if you will. So... how many?

Fully trained Jedi? I'd say at the very extreme maximum... 30. A more likely number would be 10-20. Many of whom wouldn't have been found to be force sensitive until well into adulthood.

Then there'd be apprentices and younglings... the Solo kids, and any Skywalker kids... would fall into this category. I'd guess at most 30 students of various ages, many of them descendents of currently trained jedi as keeping the 'no attachments' rule would probably both reduce the number of willing members and the number with force potential in total.

22. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    If the New Jedi Order shows up, there ARE no Padawans.

23. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    Make the Jedi badass. As seen when Vader effortlessly dealt with Han, orthodox enemies should stand no chance against a fully trained force user. A caveat to this would be a skilled opponent who has knowledge and experience fighting jedi, plus time to prepare for any confrontation.

Make the Jedi standout. Evolve past the generic, and quite frankly boring, brown robes. Jedi should wear whatever the hell they want and a lightsaber should be the only identifier they need. Luke in V and VI had wardrobe and it was a great way to subtly give a narrative on his state of mind.

In theory, the "no attachments" rule seems to make sense, however I think it deprives the Jedi of some much needed depth. What better way to associate with a character than to witness how they connect with others on an emotional level. As a story-telling device I think the no attachments clause should be jettisoned, without it the Jedi can come off as a more sympathetic organization with member that the audience can relate to.

If the story takes place circa 30 years post-Endor, I'd expect a fair number of Jedi. With Jedi able to have attachments and consequently children, plus the acceptance of adult students, I could definitely see approximately 75-100 Jedi Knights and many more trainees being apart of a newly reconstituted Jedi Order. After all the Galaxy is an incredibly vast place with approximately 100 quadrillion sentient creatures calling it home.

theonesith and tsunami1138 like this.
  24. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I think its safe to assume that the ST will begin at least 30 years after RotJ, I speculate possibly even a few years beyond that, say maybe 35 to 45 years ABY. There are a bunch of really cool Jedi characters in the post-RotJ EU which could conceivably be used, and I know that "could be used" in no way means they will be used (with nothing in the way of details of the story of Ep. VII at this point one can still hope). Say Luke trains another Jedi within a five years after RotJ, then both of them train another Jedi in five years and so on, there could possibly be 30 Jedi by 30 ABY and over 200 in 45 ABY--assuming nothing goes wrong in the training and vetting process.

Something tells me that beings around the galaxy would realize that the galaxy under the Empire without the Jedi was worse than their lives during the Republic when Jedi were more prevalent. This being true I think they could differentiate between Darth Vader and a random Jedi, one overtly intimidates them through the threat of violence or death and the other doesn't.

25. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    That brings up a point - if LUke only got 6 months worth of training (maybe picking up some stuff along way as well) he wouldn't need years to pass that knowledge on.