main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Han & Luke after Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Master Jedi Kenobi, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Jedi Kenobi

Master Jedi Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2012
    After Harrison Ford & Mark Hamil's amazing performances in the OT, you would have forgiven film critics for thinking they were both destined for great things.

As it turned out however, Ford & his charismatic presence went on to star in Air Force one, Indiana Jones & the brilliant Blade Runner.

Whereas Hamil ended up being type-cast & only starred in minor roles. The most notable role being the voice behind the Joker in DC animations.

Hamil seemed as if he had so much potential, such a powerful range of emotions in his arsenal. How could he not make it? Was it the pressure?

Or is it impossible to not be "Luke Skywalker" just the same as Arnie will always be the "Terminator" in our minds?

2. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Hamill was too iconic. Everyone thought of him a Luke.
    Wheras Ford being Han was just another role because he was established.

Master Jedi Kenobi likes this.
  3. Master Jedi Kenobi

Nov 7, 2012
    That's a theory which alot of people will have in mind no doubt. And it has happened to alot of other iconic performances in the past.

However there are actors who have managed to overcome the "iconic character" tag & reinvented themselves.

Hamil had so much potential it's frustrating to think it wasn't utilised fully in his career

thesevegetables likes this.
  4. MagicSpork

MagicSpork Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2004
    I would say I stopped reading after the Arnold Schwarzenegger comment, but unfortunately, it was at the end of the post...

Anyways, I think you're doing a serious disservice to Hamill's post Star Wars career. Great voice acting takes as much skill and talent as "regular" acting. Plus, voice actors don't have makeup artists and stuntmen to make them look better. It's just them and the microphone.

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Mark was excellent in The Elephant Man, but, yeah, he was unable to overcome the wide-eyed naive farmboy stereotype in film roles - but he made one heck of a career in other ways.

thesevegetables likes this.
  6. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    I mean, isn't being Fire Lord Ozai something?

7. Master Jedi Kenobi

Nov 7, 2012
    I think the Arnie comparsion is a just one. One type-cast actor to another. I could have used 2 or 3 other actors to make the comparison but chose Arnie as he is most wideley recognized. Besides I didn't criticize Hamil I actually lauded his sublime ability to convey emotion.

I'm simply putting the question across as to why no other "major" roles as a lead actor came into play after SW....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.