main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will Episode 7 be PG-13?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Lee_, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think this is true of most parents.

I think the content of them is something everyone will enjoy. It isn't like we didn't want to watch that stuff (PG-13/R rated action flicks) as kids, we just sometimes couldn't get our parents to let us. I think a PG-13 SW movie wouldn't have the kind of material in it that parents really don't want kids to see for the most part.

In any case, SW movies are often the ones people go see repeatedly. You can always watch it first, then take the younger children to the next trip (make aure it is what you would take them to).

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was sneaking into Friday the 13th movies when I was 10. I'm old so there was no PG-13 rating at that time, but if there had been, my parents probably would have objected to those as they did to R-rated movies.

3. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Guys, keep in mind that the OT was released before the creation of PG-13. If they had come out today that's probably the rating they'd get. In fact, I'm willing to bet that the only reason TPM and AOTC got PG's was because they were Star Wars movies and were perceived as "ok" despite the level of violence.

SaberJedi2 likes this.
  4. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    1) No, it wouldn't deter big fans from going because it is PG, but if it is too much of a kid movie, it won't be the kind of hit that it could have been. Kids are a big target, but so are other age groups. Again, NOT the ratings themselves, but the content matters. I am not just talking about 40 year old fanboys, but adults in general. I know a lot of casual fans that were put off by Menace and JJ Binks.
    Remember, word of mouth and repeat viewings (especially with SW) are a lot to do with how much a movie makes. Many go see a movie because they heard it was good, that is true of most (only a small percentage of people are SW fans, a small percentage makes millions, but a more appealing movie will bring a bigger audience even for SW)
    2) No, I don't think they will pander to a trend and ruin the old-style sci fi flavor of SW; I do, however, think they will and should make it a little more edgy (I know the word is hated, but...), if nothing else to expand the audience. It is not an either/or situation; the SW flavor can be maintain without a flood of JJ Binks characters.
    3) I absolutely disagree with the idea that Sith wasn't more dark and serious than the others, and if you break it down minute by minute, there is no comparison. Menace isn't even in the discussion. Clones was a love story with action along with it. Sith was a tale of betrayal, murder, and loss; there is no comparing the dark despair of the movie and accompanying scenes to the others.
    4) There is no chance they won't put some characters in it that are appealing to kids, and that is the way it should be. I am just hoping they maintain a balance.

5. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    MPAA ratings are soooooo arbitrary.

JediKnightOB1 likes this.
  6. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Clearly not enough to dampen its $430 million total at the US box office.
    The rabid disgruntled fans who decry Jar Jar, child characters, teddy bear Ewoks etc. and insist that true Star Wars is, or must resemble, The Empire Strikes Back (or something elsewhere, more recent) may have pop-internet-culture on their side, but not the commercial failings to prove their case. Attack of the Clones was the least successful installment of the prequel trilogy and yet it still raked in over $300 million domestic. If Disney’s first outing with the franchise makes as much or more I seriously doubt they’ll be sweating the inclusion of kid(die) friendly content. That doesn’t necessarily mean that we’ll be introduced to a Jar Jar Binks equivalent, but don’t be surprised to see quirky precocious aliens or droids to one degree or another. This is Disney, after all. The Magic Kingdom has a long history of talking furry animals.
    How much more of an expanded audience does Star Wars need? It’s Star Wars, a global film phenomenon that has long since proven its monetary worth. Again, Disney will be tracking the concrete profit numbers, not obsessing over the blogosphere. I agree that it’s not an either/or situation but that particular statement swings both ways. When was there ever a "flood" of Jar Jar Binks characters to begin with? There was Jar Jar Binks and, who else, little Ani? Some goofy battle droids, maybe? Okay, sure, so these elements pushed the bubble, but it’s not as if Star Wars went from Serpico to Sesame Street with the advent of Episode I. That’s the kind of negative exaggeration I just never bought into. I hardly think it impossible for Disney to produce content within a PG radius, even including a slapstick sidekick, while still telling a story with its head squarely in the right place; because such was never a problem I had with The Phantom Menace anyways. Oblique political mechanizations, a Mifune Jedi lead and a horned, demon-faced Sith warrior was plenty enough to balance out Jar Jar taking a shot to the nuts or the occasional"Yippee!"
    Revenge of the Sith was certainly a darker film, sure, but darker doesn’t necessarily mean more serious. That would imply that the dramatic conflicts throughout The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones that shaped the outcome for Revenge of the Sith were somehow less serious and essential to the overall storyline, which naturally doesn’t make any sense. It all matters equally, even if some narrative components are flanked by characters and circumstances lighter in tone.
    I imagine that will be their aim for the most part. Yet, as mentioned by others on this thread, this will be Disney’s first Star Wars film, so if they’re gonna lean in any direction it will likely be towards a PG friendly product akin to The Phantom Menace or A New Hope.

7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012

OK, but you are making an apples and oranges comparison. I am saying Sith was more serious in terms of the particular theme and plot of the movie (as well as some of the shown and implied violence in Sith). I wasn't talking about how "serious" it was in terms of relevance to the overall story; I was talking about seriousness of the actual content.

Love Story (with war) vs Murderous Descent into Evil (with war). More serious? Not a hard one.

8. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    I agree with that. My only point is that Revenge of the Sith is not somehow different or less Star Wars in terms of style and dramatic presentation. But in terms of actual content, yeah, the **** gets real. I just want Disney to work their way up to a PG-13 rating, over the course of a healthy story-arc, if such is their goal.

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Those 8-year olds could be seen as an important market.

10. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Disney is creating a compromise rating to appease both fanbases: PG-12.5

11. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    just...wow

12. Darth Myon

Darth Myon Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm all for rated R!!!! Ya! Bring on the Death Troopers!!!!

13. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I say to keep it with the classic feel the last 6 had, nothing to edgy, leave that for the live action show.

14. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Let's hope we actually end up seeing those.

15. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Do 8-year-olds go to the movies by themselves anymore? I see news stories mentioning 10-years-olds walking to school or being home alone and everyone freaks out, criminalizing their parents.
    Why is there uncertainty about a rating anyway? Disney has done PG-13 action movies. If the Pirates of the Caribbean movies were PG-13, it probably wasn't the violence but touches of innuendo and dark comedy that pushed it there.

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Will the parents of those 8-year-olds take them to ALL movies?

17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I can't see it getting above a PG rating, the OT movies all got U (or G I think the US calls it) certificates with blood and dismemberment as did TPM, ROTS only got a 12 rating because Anakin gets set on fire.

18. Obi-Wong

Obi-Wong Jedi Knight

Jan 30, 2012
    I think Episode VII will be PG, and then VIII and IX PG-13; the first episode of the previous trilogies seem to have a more younger audience feel to them.

19. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I hope it gets a PG-13 rating. It would be awesome if it got an R rating.

20. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    If it warrants it, it will be. I doubt it though. I kind of expect to see complex family issues involving parents and kids IE Solo family. Maybe even Skywalkers too. OR Skywalker training the Solo kids thus surrogate parent-type thing. I just don't think it will be too dark. And really the only reason ROTS was PG-13 was for the graphic burning of Anakin.

Two things I can safely say will not happen:

1- The movie bombs
    2- It will be rated R

thesevegetables likes this.
  21. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't know why people say this. The young jedi kid getting gunned down by clones outside the Jedi palace as Organa bails after the attack on the palace? Anakin pulling out his lightsaber to slaughter the small children (younglings) at the Jedi palace? The movie just overall was more intense and violent; it was not one particular scene.

Echo-07 likes this.
  22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Grievous with fire blazing out of his mask sockets after Obi-Wan's shot him?

Echo-07 likes this.
  23. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    ^^ Yeah, you guys bring up some good points. To me I'm desensitized to those things but I could see how it would affect others. Good points.

24. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    This is why they should take a page from the video game universe and do something like that. Kinda like they have E10+ now to differentiate E and T. :p

So PG+ or something.

25. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    R is never going to happen will not maximize profits. Not to mention it would be hard to do unless we get a graphic Sith Torture Scene.