main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What Actress Should Play A Young Female Skywalker Jedi ? (Images)

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Blue_Jedi33, Nov 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    We don't yet know who the characters are or which of them will be the focus of the hero's journey.

The new trilogy may very well continue on with Luke as the lead character - in which case it could be how his journey comes to an end.

2. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Whaaaaat? She plays such a good character! And she's the main character, they won't kill her off.

3. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    At this moment, I can only recollect seeing her as Riley in the Terminator TV series. She was very good in that.

4. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    The only thing I'm thinking is...

Unless they are intended to be grandchildren, wouldn't someone like Hailee Steinfeld or Chloe Moretz (even though I think they'd be great) be too young? With Luke and Leia (and Han) now presumably in their 50s, wouldn't their children be closer to...30? Although these younger ones would be great, Actors something like Keira Knightley, Hayden Panetierre, and maybe even Andrew Garfield (as just examples) would be kind of closer to the right age I would think...

5. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Well depends on when they had their children.
    No need to assume they just started spawning offspring the moment the credits of ROTJ rolled.

JainaSoloYJK, Echo-07 and Tan-Wessel like this.
  6. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Stop speaking like I consider the EU a relevant source of canon. These new movies are going to smash that crap to bits.

Uncle Owen likes this.
  7. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    Unknowns please.

But I'd be partial to some Summer, admittedly.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's a lot of people who don't consider it that.

9. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Yes, and a lot the opposite. :)

10. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Are you kidding me? Her character is spoiled, annoying, weak, capricious, stupid, ego-centric, and all around just not fun to watch. You would think that a kid who grew up in such a world would be able to avoid many of the character flaws that plague modern teenagers, but this chick takes the cake. I'm interested in seeing what happens on the show, but I have to psych myself up to watch it because I just can't stand her.

Tan-Wessel likes this.
  11. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    She does fit your criteria. You just forgot to factor in how old they would be at the time the movie came out like you did with Natalie and Carrie. She, Hailey and Abigail at the time of the film's actual premiere in 2015 falls exactly within 18-21.

And yeah, my vote leans towards Chloe. She was amazing in Let Me In, and I usually hate American "reimaginings" as well as looking forward to her in the title role in the Carrie remake. Other than that, random things I remember her from which were memorable like her brief 1 episode stint in My Name is Earl and of course Hit Girl tell me the young actress is great at balancing physical comedy and adorableness while one of the few actors/actresses in general who have extremely expressive faces as one of their major strengths in their acting like a Kristen Bell or a Jessica Lange.

12. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Jennifer Lawrence by far, but I'm sure she'll be way too busy, though. Oh well.

How about Lily Collins, then? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2934314/

I say no to Summer Glau, mainly because I don't think she can act.

13. Tan-Wessel

May 31, 2001
    This. So. Much. This. She's the primary reason I stopped watching the show after two episodes. Hate her uncle too, but wow do I hate her character...to equal levels of Kate from LOST. Can't stand her for many of the same reasons (except for Season 1 Kate...when the character was interesting and not horrible nor annoying).

If the characters are going to share the same ages as their actors, it's not impossible. My own parents were about the same ages as Harrison and Carrie are now when I hit 20. Granted, yes, it's not common and I did grow up realizing my own parents were old enough to be my grandparents, but it's fine - definitely not impossible nor improbable.

14. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    With the criteria I'd set out to fill, I was looking at actors whose current ages fall within said criteria, but, as I noted above, Hailey and Chloe fit if we're looking at a YJK/Ahsoka age range rather than the Padme/Leia age range.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I love Emma Stone in anything (my avatar image of Yoda holding a pot of chilli is from her first SNL hosting gig) and I think she can play anything so make her a Jedi. She's gonna need a new mainstream franchise to hook onto since her time on Spidey will probably somewhat, uhm, "limited".

And she has Star Wars cred!

Actually, y'know what, I'm fine if she doesn't play a Jedi. Just use this bit. To open the movie.

Chels likes this.
  16. FloydB1Kenobi

FloydB1Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    Which was a damn good movie.

17. Tan-Wessel

May 31, 2001
    What I'm saying is this: Natalie and Carrie were 18/21 when TPM/ANH came out.

Chloe is 15 and will be 18 by July 17, 2015.
    Hailee is 15 and will be 19 by July 17, 2015.
    Abigail is 16 and will be 19 by July 17, 2015.

18. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    If Luke is to have a child, I'd rather it be a son, carrying on with the tradition of what Ian McDiarmid calls "Fathers and Sons."

If this son is called 'Ben Skywalker,' I just hope we can get away from the ridiculous-looking, ginger hair and freckle-faced look, please! The son of Luke Skywalker should be dirty blonde to light brown with pale skin. This, again, carries on with the filmed traditions we've known until now.

19. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    It depends on length of time skip and when they have kids. I mean real world would mean we need a time jump somewhere around 40 years.

20. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Looks goods
    [​IMG]

21. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't know why, but I like her best as the idea of a Skywalker descendent. Something about her just reminds me of Leia.

22. ShaunStarshooter

ShaunStarshooter Jedi Master

Jul 17, 2006
    I think Summer Glau and Chloe Moretz are both perfect for female Star Wars roles. They both fit the genre and know how to do "kick-ass" (pun-intended) young female roles. They are both pretty as well as talented actresses. They both get my vote to add to the franchise's great female characters.

23. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    I'd rather have Luke with a son or the Solos with a set of twins (boy/girl). I actually *like* that mirroring.

And frankly, as I'm a straight female, I tend to prefer more male-dominated main characters (though I can make do with Harrison and Mark--I'm far from ageist!). If you go the fraternal twin route, you can please both the gals who want a hunky, handsome lead male, as well as the guys who want feisty female eye-candy. Unless you want to reduce your cast and have a love story. There has to be something in there for the ladies (the ones for whom 70-year-old Harrison and 61-year-old Mark just don't quite cut it), which I think all of the feminist/righting-the-wrongs crap is missing. Yes, women want to see feisty women who aren't wilting pansies (women also are rather fond of love stories), but there's also a point that making it a female Jedi chick is very much male fanservice, too. Give us twins and you can appeal to all sides.

(Of course, if they cast, say... David Tennant... preferably not as a droid... Male lead or villain... Please?)

As awkward as it watches now, the original trio had something of a love triangle thing going on (oh, Luke, you poor thing and the crush you had on your sister for 2 1/2 films). That dynamic was very much set up to appeal to both men and women. Of course, Leia was certainly a stronger presence than Padmé and was very much right in the thick of it with the boys. Make strong females, please, but don't forget about the fact that straight female nerds do tend to like the male characters (for example: every female Joss fan I know, regardless of the kick-ass female lead thing he's so praised for, goes nuts over characters like Angel and Spike, not Buffy).

But it does feel more right to me that the father/son dynamic needs to continue. Again, I love the mirroring that the saga has always had. Two or three offspring characters would probably work. Of course, in the original trio, you had the siblings, plus that outsider character who ended up taking the role of the romantic lead. That would be a bit too much copying, though. Still, a duo or trio of main characters feels right.

Having a multiple-character new dynamic would also take off some of the pressure from the replacement kid as some kind of unwelcome interloper. For that reason alone, I wouldn't cast anyone that could remotely give off irritating kid vibes (let's not forget that Harrison was between 33 and 40 while playing Solo--the next cast doesn't necessarily have to ALL be a bunch of teens and early-20-somethings).

TreborSabreon likes this.
  24. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Leia is 22 in ROTJ - that gives her 20-ish years - so the age range is mid-thirties to late teens.

25. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Who is the girl in the pic?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.