main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lucasfilm Confirms: Michael Arndt To Write Screenplay For Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diggs, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Shibs

Darth Shibs Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012

I love how guys like this are certain this will be the case, like they work there lol If it is, a cookie for you.

2. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    Yes, and and any new main characters will be created by Lucas and not the screenwriter.

3. C Creepio

C Creepio Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 1999
    I can live with this news. No major screw ups yet and so far Disney is doign well.....so far.

4. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Though Splinter of the Minds Eye was written using notes and outlines that Lucas put together as his original concept for the sequel to Star Wars. He didn't know how big Star Wars would be and thought he'd be lucky to get the oppertunity to make another one, so he wanted to have something to present a studio with that wouldn't need a big budget (not many locals), didn't have all the actors coming back etc...

tekkamansoul and FinleySlade like this.
  5. Beaker416

Beaker416 Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2004
    Am I missing out on sarcasm?

6. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    ^ No; CoolyFett genuinely believes that, despite everything we know, E7 is going to re-cast the characters of Luke, Han, and Leia as some sort of 'reboot'.

7. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    So basically, with Arndt on board, we can finally get a Star Wars movie with a first-rate script. I never thought I'd see this happen...
    Now if only we can still have great visuals and music to match it...

8. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    Recasting is not really the end of the world. The best example is Obi-Wan. They picked a suitable actor for the PT. Granted, they couldn't have "old Ben" return in the prequels for obvious reasons.
    But my point is that if done right, recasting should not be too much of a problem, considering that the characters will be represented 30-40 years into the future.

Now there is also the other side of the situation: Ford, Fisher and Hamill are just as famous as their characters so a recasting would be very odd from the audience's perspective.
    People will instantly recognize that Han is no longer Han, but some guy called Han, who sounds like Han, dressed like Han, acts like Han, but is not Han. And that can be a bit problematic.
    Most rumors (granted they are just rumors) suggest that Hamill and Fisher will reappear in Ep7 (unknown for Ep8 or 9). And I believe that.
    For one thing they need ~60 yr old actors. Well, they got them. And not only that, but they're the same guys from the older movies. What would be the point of scouting for others?
    The audience will recognize them immediately. I doubt that, unless something goes very wrong, the producers won't cast at least Hamill.
    While this is the "new age" for Star Wars, Disney needs to make the older audience (which is still huge) feel comfortable watching the movie. One familiar actor in his famous role would bridge the ST and the OT nicely.

Arndt seems a guy who places emphasis on the character's emotions more than anything else.
    Considering that one of the themes of SW is the control of one's emotions, I am confident that at least from this perspective we will get a quality script.

9. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The only reason to recast would be that the principals can't act anymore:

Harrison? He's lost nothing.
    Mark? He's never been stronger, he's a way better actor than he was in 1982 when RotJ was filmed.
    Carrie? She's still as quirky and feisty as ever, it's about time someone gave her a good role again.
    Billy Dee? He's lost absolutely nothing, he's one of the great underrated actors of our time.

A little treadmill action & creative costuming for the last 3 and we're on!!

appleseed and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  10. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    Well, the music's a cinch. It is highly probable that John Williams will return. He's half of what makes SW SW.

yeah. I can't see him not returning.

11. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I realize Obi Wan was technically re-cast for the PT, but I don't think it's quite the same thing. Going back in time to tell the back story obviously required a younger actor. If they are going to set the ST in the immediate years following ROTJ, then they will have to re-cast. I see this as highly unlikely and problematic as I think the roles of Han, Luke and Leia are really iconic. For decades, literally, the original actors' likenesses have been used to represent these three characters.

It makes more sense to me that we would see the ST set 30-40 years post battle of Endor with the Big 3 returning to help guide a new generation of Jedi and a Galactic Republic. This satisfies those who want to see a new generation ( or hot Jedi chicks) and those who want to see what happened to the OT characters they loved so much.

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    With Arndt writing, since he penned Toy Story 3, I'm fully expecting Luke, Han, Leia & Chewie to get stuck in yet another trash compactor but this time it will be more emotionally gut-wrenching.

fistofan1 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  13. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Will Leia sing "Superfreak"?

14. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Gawd, I hope so. The dance number alone would be worth it.

15. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    The metal bikini's gonna have serious competition soon....

16. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Toy Story 3 was really overrated IMO, but sure, willing to see what this guy could do with SW.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If anything in Toy Story 3, it juggles a bunch of characters at once, each one is fairly distinctive and have their own big moment, and it has a remarkable pace to it. That's good for a Star Wars movie. Even "Little Miss Sunshine" pulls that off with throwing different types of characters together and watching them bounce off each other. Go back to "A New Hope" and it does that, there's the kid, the wookie, the droids, the old man, the princess all tossed together at once. Something like that.

18. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    The only Pixar movie that was oriented more towards adults than kids was Ratatouille. It's probably my favorite along with Finding Nemo.

19. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I honestly wouldn't even recommend the bolded for the very reasons you've stated in support of their return. I'm happy to accept all four of those actors in their present appearance and state because even with a gym workout, I'm honestly less concerned with seeing them wielding lightsabers, jumping through the narrowing gap of a closing door and firing blasters. While their action packed scenes were great, the moments that resonated with me the best was their stage presence and contribution to the story telling through good acting.

If the writing is strong enough, then the dialogue should really do service to the fact that our heroes are much older than they were when last playing these roles. Even some of the console and computer games set post-Yarvin have addressed this when casting Mark back into the role of Luke Skywalker. His performance as Luke Skywalker in those games has been better than ever. That's not to say they should be confined to sitting around in wheel chairs and doing their knitting, but I already know not to reprise their roles with the same physical demands as before. A fitness program will do little to change that. The best example of that is the latest Indiana Jones film where as good as Harrison was in Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull, we were always reminded of the fact that Indiana was now much older which was why at times some of the action scenes felt a bit contrived since they paid too much of a tribute to Indiana's former glory era.

20. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Impossible to judge from just a trailer really, but here is a first look at Oblivion, on which Arndt was a writer.

21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I know this thread is old, but I just watched Toy Story 3 for the first time and I've gotta say that we're in good hands guys. We're in REALLY good hands. :)

22. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Funny, I just re-watched Little Miss Sunshine and feel the exact same way. LMS is one of the best movies ever and I'm not being sarcastic.

23. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    Hollywood sure has a way of making every new action/sci-fi movie look exactly the same. All I could focus on was how similar it was to everything else I've seen these past 2 years. I really hope Star Wars doesn't turn out like this.

stormcloud8 likes this.
  24. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I'm hoping they get the look and feel of it right. I'm sure they will, Lucas will make sure of that (hopefully) But your right, the whole look of sci fi has become very generic recently.

25. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    No idea how Oblivion will play, but both LMS and TY3 have bags of character and heart. We know Abrams can bring the spectacle and performances. I'd say we're in very good hands, especially when you throw in Kasdan as a guiding hand on the tiller Kennedy as a very shrewd producer working off the sparks of ideas from GL. Seems like they've assembled a great team. Sure it could all go wrong and there's no such thing as a sure bet in Hollywood, but we've as much grounds for optimism as one could reasonably expect at this stage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.